Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/15/2003, 12:06 PM
Registered Member

Need advise 1 or 2 scwd? help on plumbing

Hi,

I have a 171g acrylic tank 72x22x25 with four 3/4 returns. Iam thinking of using either 1 or 2 scwd at my return. 2 for 1 scwd.

I have a built in center overflow with a 11/2 drain be might go with a durso standpipe.

I have 2 ways of plumbing my 4 returns.

The first way is I have two 3/4 pvcs pipe attached to a bulkhead that run up in back of my overflow which both have Ts on them to run 4 of my returns. I was thinking of hooking one scwd on the bottom of the tank where the two 3/4 pvcs come down. I will be using either a veolisty T4 or Iwaki 70rlt for my return that will run through the chiller then to the scwd then to the two 3/4 return pipes under tank. Would the Iwaki 70rl be to strong?

The second way is to run 2 scwd, but It will run in back of tank.

For my return will be the iwaki 70rlt or T4 then I will probably T it off to chiller and to the 1 scwd that will run in back of tank to the two 3/4 returns. From the output of the chiller I will then run it to the 2 scwd that will also run in back of tank to the other two 3/4 returns.

Please let me know what you think and which way is better,

Also not sure if the Iwaki 70rlt or T4 would be strong enough or will it be to strong? What other pumps would you recommend ?

I really need some help here on pump size.

thanks
Old 06/15/2003, 12:39 PM
Registered Member

there is a maximum flow rating for scwds. i do not remember it offhand but i think it is around 1200 gph. you can get the exact number off of the web site that you are going to buy them from.

you will need to complare that to the gph that your pump will create at your head pressure. personally i like the sounds of your 2 scwd setup though.
Old 06/18/2003, 07:39 PM
Registered Member

Has anyone uses 2 scwd on bigger tanks? Iam planning to run either a iwaki 70 or ampmaster 2100 as my return for my 171g tank that is 72x22x25 with 4 3/4 returns. From my return pump Its going to tee off to 1 scwd then to 2 returns and the return pump will also tee off to chiller then from the chiller ouput 2scwd then the 2 returns. The pvc will be down sized to 1inch and then 3/4 inch. So I figure flow would decrease quiet a bit, but Iam only going fish only. I would like a Iwaki but I heard its loud so the ampmaster 2100 seems what Iam looking at now, Anyone has any feedback on there pumps and scwd? I need some advice
thanks