Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/08/2008, 08:36 PM
Registered Member

HELP - Leaking bulkhead!!!

My 2" bulkhead was leaking a little and I tried to tighten it and now it is really leaking. I tried to put EPOXY around it but it still leaks. It seems to be leaking from between the flang and the bulkhead and not between the flang and the glass.. any tips on what to do???
Old 01/08/2008, 09:18 PM
Registered Member

Hopefully you can lower the water level and put in a new one. If you over tighten it it can break.
Old 01/09/2008, 07:00 AM
Registered Member

Help

Thanks!
Old 01/09/2008, 09:36 PM
Registered Member

Still Leaking !!

Any help????
Old 01/09/2008, 09:57 PM
Team RC Member

Did you install the gasket on the flange side and install it clean and dry with no lubricants of sealants? A common mistake is to put he gasket on the nut side where it will not seal as water will travel along the threads. Sealants like silicone cause the gasket to scoot out and lose its sealing surface. Always install bulkheads dry and put the gasket on the flange side regardless if the flange is inside or outside the tank.

Is the bulkhead installed so it is not supporting any piping or other weight that can cause differential stresses on it? Always support any pipe so the weight is not borne by the bulkhead.

Is it installed hand tight with maybe an additional 1/4 turn or so? Overtightening is another common problem. I use only threaded bulkheads and before I install them I take a small jewelers file and an exacto knife to clean out an excess flashing of plastic scrap from each thread so things screw together easily and cleanly. Excess plastic casting causes teflon or better yet paste type sealants to tear or wipe out of the threads. I was taught years ago by a swimming pool contractor to only use the crayon or stic type thread sealants on PVC and it works much better than teflon tape on all my systems.
Old 01/10/2008, 11:16 PM
Registered Member

Leak

The gasket is on the flange side, inside the tank. I installed it clean and dry with no lubricants or sealants last year. The leak is on the nut side. No leak for 1 year.
the bulkhead is installed to support the piping but it has never leaked. I tried a 1/4 turn but it still leaks. I may overtighted it.

I think I may be forced to change it, I have to lower the water level by 5" and make the change