Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/10/2008, 12:15 AM
Registered Member

WerkkreW's 30G Reef Build

MODS: I couldn't find any rules on this forum about posting images, so if I am doing something wrong here please let me know and I will fix it before you delete the thread.

Hello All, I have been spending a lot of time reading this site and asking a few questions in the noob forum, so I figured id post a few shots of my buildup.

First, the supply list.

-30 Gallon Long All Glass Aquarium - I have had this aquarium for a long time.
-Custom Built Cedar Stand with 2x4 Inner Frame
-20 Gallon High All Glass DIY Sump
-Rio 12HF Return Pump (I know Rio's aren't highly rated)
-CPR Overflow Box (I know this is risky, might replace)
-CPR Return Guide Box
-Coralife Super Skimmer 65
-100W Heater Element
-45lbs Premium Fiji Live Rock
-15lbs Seeded Live Sand
-15lbs Aragonite Supplemental Sand

Currently using Red Sea Pro Salt Mix

I will decide on lighting when the tank is finished cycling. I am leaning toward T5 but might go with CF lighting since the tank is pretty shallow.

Disclaimer - Before you comment on the Rio Pump, the CPR overflow, etc. I have since become aware of some of the issues with them, so you need not mention it here, I am well aware.

As of right now I am not running any powerheads as my return sump is pushing near 600gph at the head. I am starting to think about getting a return rated closer to 200gph to save on noise and getting a couple of small powerheads but I am not sure. I will wait to see how the livestock reacts to the 25x flow rate I am running right now before I swap out the pump for an Eheim.

Seems the main argument for not having a larger return is due to noise and microbubbles but my noise level is pretty low and I have no issue with bubbles.

Submerged the LR.

Completed Sump Baffles.

Initial Test Run of System, Needed some tweaking.

Sump Closeup with Skimmer Mounted Outside Sump.

Another Sump Closeup, Skimmer Inside Sump.

My Final Aquascaping Layout, Its really hard to see the depth here but I created lots of caverns and caves and lots of flat areas to place corals, there is also a nice decent sized lagoon in the center of the layout to place things on the sand such as clams.

Above angle to show some more details.

Please give me some feedback as this is my first reef. I hope to keep this thread updated over time as my reef progresses.

I know I probably made a ton of mistakes and I have already learned what a few of them are, namely in my choices of brand names in my purchases...

I am looking for some ideas on what to start stocking the tank with, and what to grow in my fuge.
Old 01/10/2008, 12:28 AM
Registered Member

Looks good you going to put in your refugium for filtration Rock rubble and chaeto?
Old 01/10/2008, 12:31 AM
Registered Member

I was thinking rock rubble and some chaeto yeah.

I also considered putting a few small extra CUC critters down there but I am not sure yet.
Old 01/10/2008, 12:35 AM
Registered Member

you should go with T5s, since they're basically in the same price range as CF setups
Old 01/10/2008, 12:37 AM
Registered Member

I have been searching for a decent T5 fixture which incorporates ballasts and moon lights. I dont want to have to build a custom hood to do the retro T5's with an external ballast. Even though I know using a proper high end ballast is the better thing to do, I would much rather use a more compact unit to save me from building a hood.

Any recommendations?
Old 01/10/2008, 09:24 AM
Registered Member

Just wanted to give this a morning bump since I posted it so late.