Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > West Tennessee Marine & Reef Aquarium Club
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/06/2008, 10:09 AM
Registered Member

carbonate/bicarbonate

So I have been using baking soda for a bicarbonate for the last week. Its not been very stable. 11.3 dKH one night, 9.3 the next morning. I looked at the ingredients for my favorite Kent brand dKH powder and it lists carbonates and borate. I can only assume this helps stabilize the solution. Anyone know of a safe carbonate additive off the shelf? As it stands, it looks like Im going to re-up my order for next year to include more Kents though I was hoping for a more readily available dKH alternative. Maybe its time to register for some Univ of Mem chemistry classes!
Old 01/06/2008, 11:45 AM
Boiler UP!

What kind of test kits are you using?

How does the dKH vary over time? I know you said that one night it is 11.3 and the next morning its 9.3 but what is the next night? And the next morning? What about the measurements for a week (day and night) Does it go back up or down? Two measurements really isn't enough information for us to help.

When do you add baking soda? How often?
Old 01/06/2008, 10:55 PM
Registered Member

Well, this evening it was lower still. Doing some more reading, it looks like my initial theory is correct. Borate does help buffer against PH swings as well as the ALK itself. Unless I can come up with my own bicarbonate/carbonate/borate solution, looks like Im going to re up my superbuffer order.
Old 01/06/2008, 11:07 PM
Premium Member

I slow drip baking soda solution (baked in oven first) in a DIY bottle with tubing and thumb controller. I follow the reef chemistry calculator on RC to decide what concentration and over what period to drip it. I took 4 college chemistry classes and it is still Greek to me!!
Old 01/07/2008, 11:54 AM
Registered Member

Bake? Please go on with this baking thing...I don't seem to recall anyone mentioning that they bake their soda before mixing and adding...
Old 01/07/2008, 12:09 PM
Premium Member

Baking just burns off excess h2o. Here is an article about making 2 part that has 2 recipes one with baking the baking soda and one with out baking it. (it has to do with your pH levels)

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php
Old 01/07/2008, 03:12 PM
Registered Member

Yes, thanks, I have read both article(s). I came to the same conclusion that baking the soda results in a slightly higher PH and not baking it yields a slightly depressed PH. I do now realize that I have been dosing it incorrectly however. I need to drip it in rather than add it all at once. I still think that the borate plays an important role in the over all PH swing which would be why the manufactured version includes it. The more I read the more I understand this is not the same as using Superbuffer and indeed takes some trial and error.

Thanks!!