Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/12/2007, 07:49 PM
SMBS

Question for all you jawfish keepers

Hey guys,

I'm in the process of planning a new large tank (about 600 gallons) and I'd like include 3 to 5 jawfish in my stock list. However, I do not want a deep sand bed just a shallow one maybe an inch worth.

I had this idea... I'd like to install bulkheads in the bottom the tank with about a 12" length of PVC terminated with a cap hanging underneath the tank in stand. The idea is to create an artificial burrow so that I can still have a shallow sand bed and keep a few jawfish.

If this would work, what size PVC would you use? How many burrows would you want per fish? Should the PVC be the same size the entire length or would you create small "chamber" at the bottom?

Also, has anyone kept different species of jawfish together? I'd like to get 3 or 4 pearlys and maybe one bluehead.

I've kept a pearly in the past but had trouble getting it to use an artificial burrow but I think the burrow I created may have been too short.

Any input is welcome,

"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out."
Old 08/12/2007, 07:56 PM
hobbyist

I'm not sure your plan will work, for the reason you stated; the fish didn't like the artifical burrow. I've kept jaws and they appreciated the deep sand bed (4-5 inches.) You also have no control over where they burrow, so they may well decide against the articial digs. If they can't conceal themselves, they are forced to hide behind rocks, etc and will stress much more easily. They are also vulnerable to being picked on by other fish, and this may cause them to jump. Personally, I'd try to simulate their natural habitat as much as possible but it's JMO. Why not set up a species tank dedicated to a small group of them?
Old 08/12/2007, 08:18 PM
SMBS

What if I used 2 or 3 inch PVC and filled it with rubble, sand, and gravel? Would that be a wide enough space to create their own burrow?

"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out."
Old 08/13/2007, 12:46 PM
Registered Member

who says that they will even go to these burrows? you could try but they'll do pretty much what the want and dig where they wanna dig...you could try though.
Old 08/13/2007, 02:08 PM
SMBS

Quote:
Originally posted by Tyler.L
who says that they will even go to these burrows? you could try but they'll do pretty much what the want and dig where they wanna dig...you could try though.
I guess the idea is, to really only give them the option to dig in the PVC. If they're happy digging under rocks and trying to use the 1/2 to 1" sand bed then so be it but I'd like to provide the option for them to create a truly deep burrow. I may try this on a smaller tank before planning 6-9 3" holes into the design of my 600 gallon.

Old 08/13/2007, 02:15 PM
SMBS

Here's the other thing I'm worried about if I do this. Say I used 3" PVC and filled it with shells, sand and gravel and the jawfish used it. Would the burrow be more or less susceptible to collapse?

Obviously if I went with 3/4" (a truly artificial burrow) there would be no chance of collapse but I'm also skeptical that they would use it

Old 08/13/2007, 02:18 PM
Registered Member

I have kept multiple jawfish together. Right now I have a Dusky, a RingEye and a Swordtail jawfish together. Just need a little space and they should do fine.

As far as your sand / gravel depth idea that will be a problem. I would suggest maybe having a few areas of deep sand, and have the rest at just 1 inch. The jawfish can then move to the areas where the gravel depth is appropriate. If done with live rock it can also be a cool way to aquascape.
Old 08/13/2007, 02:46 PM
Registered Member

My sand bed is around 2" and my jawfish made himself a home under some LR. So I don't think a DSB is totally necessary. He is very happy and very shy. Although he is coming farther and farther from his home each day. I can finally see he has grown quite a bit since first getting him a couple months ago.
Old 08/13/2007, 03:09 PM
SMBS

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought I read that jawfish (specifically pearlys) in nature build their burrows in open areas so that they have a 360 view of their surroundings and predators can't sneak up on them. I know a can used LR as structure and jawfish will use it but since is is going to be a big tank the option of having relatively large open areas of sand in addition to the reef structure is there.

Sigmund - In my experience its diffcult to maintain areas of shallow and deep sand, it all tends to even out over time. What I'm trying to do using the PVC is to create deep pockets of sand that won't shift a round. Picture 3" or maybe even 4" wide "sand boxes" if you will, 6"-12" deep. It's bacially accompishing the same task you outline using LR except the deep sand areas hang under the tank rather than built up in it.

Old 08/13/2007, 10:00 PM
Registered Member

I don't know if I'm just misunderstanding or not but, how would the jawfish know there were the aftificial burrows? From the top, wouldn't they just look like the rest of the substrate?

Also, would that weaken the bottom of the tank too much? Wouldn't that provide many more failure points than otherwise(that many more holes and bulkheads)?

Just some food for thought.
Old 08/14/2007, 12:17 AM
Premium Member

I've used the "sand box" method suggested by Reeferhead and it works very well...I made my own sand box out of aggracrete with feet so that it stood off of the bottom and put some rocks and rock rubble on the top. Kept junk from accumulating underneath but the jawfish were quite happy to use it and I had no problems.
Old 08/14/2007, 08:23 AM
Registered Member

Reeferhead,

I should have been more specific. What I have done is silicone various rock pieces together and to a plastic base to create a natural "Sandbox" type area with plastic. This creates a bowl area to keep the sand / gravel from leveling off, but still looks very natural.

This takes some work to do, but it appears that you are already willing to put some time into your design.

Just a suggestion that has worked for me.... :-)
Old 08/14/2007, 08:26 AM
SMBS

Quote:
Originally posted by ggenz
I don't know if I'm just misunderstanding or not but, how would the jawfish know there were the aftificial burrows? From the top, wouldn't they just look like the rest of the substrate?

Also, would that weaken the bottom of the tank too much? Wouldn't that provide many more failure points than otherwise(that many more holes and bulkheads)?

Just some food for thought.
The idea is that they keep trying until they find the right spot. I guess I could intice them a little by placing a pile of shells and rubble on each "sandbox" I want the sand boxes to look like the rest of the substrate, create the illusion of a DSB without actually having to deal with one.

I thinking of going with one of those new fangled PVC bottom tanks. The bottom of the tank will lay flush with the plywood top of the stand. I don't think failure points will be an issue. Although, I see how it could be with a glass bottom tank, particularly the standard kind that has that plastic frame that elevates it above the stand.

Last edited by Reeferhead; 08/14/2007 at 08:33 AM.
Old 08/14/2007, 08:29 AM
SMBS

Ladipyg and Sigmond,

You guys have any pics?

Thanks,

Old 08/14/2007, 11:32 AM
Registered Member

You can also use plexiglass to separate different levels of sand. You can do 1-2inches near the front but have it slope to the back and be about 4-6inches. The best thing about jawfishes is how they are always tidying up their house and spitting sand around. If you want them at their peak personality I'd really suggest finding ways to have deeper sand for them
Old 08/14/2007, 04:50 PM
SMBS

Quote:
Originally posted by DoLceNBeLLa
You can also use plexiglass to separate different levels of sand. You can do 1-2inches near the front but have it slope to the back and be about 4-6inches. The best thing about jawfishes is how they are always tidying up their house and spitting sand around. If you want them at their peak personality I'd really suggest finding ways to have deeper sand for them
Thanks for your post. Please read the whole thread an you will see that's what I'm trying to accomplish. Ignore my first post, I'm in agreement that a true artifical burrow (1" PVC) probably won't work. I plan on using the "sand box" method but utilizing PVC hanging under the tank to accomplish this.

So now my question is... What size PVC should I use? You guys that built sand boxes in you tanks how big are they? How wide an area of deep sand do you think they need? 2,3,4,6 inches?

Thank again for all the input,

Old 08/14/2007, 05:56 PM
Premium Member

I'd have to go back through my pics...I sold the set up when I sold off the big tank....
Old 12/27/2007, 02:37 PM
SMBS

I started thinking about this again today and priced out larger bulkheads. I quickly became quite discouraged , the price really jumps after 2"

From Savko:

1" (1 7/8" hole) $7.76

1.5" (2 5/8" hole) $11.24

2" (3 1/4" hole) $15.71

3" (4.5" hole) $75.95

4" (5.5-6" hole) $149.60

6" (8.25"-8.75" hole) $290.39

Anyone know where you can find them cheaper?