Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/23/2007, 11:54 PM
Registered Member

To many frags!!

=P, I'm not going to beat around the bush, I have bought to many frags, Don't have enough live rock in my tank, and maybe even too much sand. I have beautiful corals, But was forced to build a pvc/eggcrate ledge for the corals, so i could evenly space them under the light.
This of course is not attractive, but suits the corals needs.
Right now i have a 60 gallon(4' long) and Two 150w double ended Metal halides(14k).
I am planning on getting an acrylic, pre-drilled tank with a corner overflow(same size), and also debating going bare bottom.
I'm liking how the corals grow against the glass in all directions.
Another good reason would be that my Gold Marroon Clownfish is always kicking up sand. (I think he wants an anemone)
I have had him for 2 years, so its hard to get rid of him.

I have about 60 pounds of dead rock, that used to be in the tank. The rock still has little pieces of dried up Aiptasia.

I am afraid to put this back into the tank, not only because of the dried aiptasia's, but also the dried up copepods/amphipods, and everything that died and is still in the crevices.
I was thinking about giving it a bleach bath....

Let me know what you guys think i should do. I really could use some help with planning some aquascaping.
Old 12/24/2007, 12:16 AM
Registered Member

even if its dried and you put it into your tank it will have MAJOR die off still left on the rock and could cause the tank to go through another cycle. Id cure the rock in a rubbermaid tub before i put it into your yank. Hate to see you lose frags due to any spikes in your water parameters,
Tracy
Old 12/24/2007, 12:18 AM
Reefer

a light solution of bleach and hot water couldnt hurt. just make sure to rinse well and let air dry for several days. i would rinse it a few times just to make sure
Old 12/24/2007, 03:34 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for chiming in Guys.
Old 12/24/2007, 03:55 PM
I <3 Fish.

Put the dead rock in a tote full of fresh saltwater and put a powerhead in there for circulation. Let it soak for a couple days and test for Ammonia. If you have some do water changes until your ammonia is gone. Then slowly add the rock to your tank over the next couple of days.
Old 12/24/2007, 05:28 PM
Registered Member

I will take some of the Frags of you if it will help. LOL
Old 12/24/2007, 09:55 PM
Registered Member

I used mother nature. However, this is better done during the summer, even here in Florida. I put the rocks on my porch. By the time the rain and sun got done with them they were ready to go. I like the idea on how to cure diy rock by putting it in the resevour of the toilet so that it gets a fresh batch of water every time someone flushes, but I haven't had the courage. Too bad the school toilets no longer have water tanks...
Old 12/24/2007, 10:01 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jadeguppy
I used mother nature. However, this is better done during the summer, even here in Florida. I put the rocks on my porch. By the time the rain and sun got done with them they were ready to go. I like the idea on how to cure diy rock by putting it in the resevour of the toilet so that it gets a fresh batch of water every time someone flushes, but I haven't had the courage. Too bad the school toilets no longer have water tanks...
That is a first that I have ever heard of this.
Old 12/24/2007, 10:09 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jadeguppy
I like the idea on how to cure diy rock by putting it in the resevour of the toilet so that it gets a fresh batch of water every time someone flushes, but I haven't had the courage.
People keep reef plugs/discs in there. Its a good way to keep a constant flow of fresh water on them.
Old 12/24/2007, 10:31 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by InvaderJim
Put the dead rock in a tote full of fresh saltwater and put a powerhead in there for circulation. Let it soak for a couple days and test for Ammonia. If you have some do water changes until your ammonia is gone. Then slowly add the rock to your tank over the next couple of days.
Do this and you can't go wrong, nor will you lose sleep worring about a bad outcome.

Lucky
Old 12/25/2007, 02:01 AM
Registered Member

as many times a day as my kids and there friends use the toilet i could cure a ton in bout a week lmao