Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/15/2007, 01:16 AM
Registered Member

Korallen Zucht Revolution Skimmer

Just wondering how many RC members actually use this skimmer? I just got my Revolution M end of lastweek and it's a phenomenal skimmer.
Old 10/15/2007, 01:21 AM
Premium Member

I have the S and I feel the same, this skimmer is the best I have ever owned and I have had about fifteen skimmers, save the best for last.
Old 10/15/2007, 01:32 AM
Registered Member

Here are some pics.

Old 10/15/2007, 02:38 AM
El Jefe de WRS

What kind of air intake are you guys getting?
Old 10/15/2007, 08:14 AM
Registered Member

IMO this toy not pull more then 25LPM -30LPM or around those #
as i see they add elbow to the exit as i suggest to someone in Zoevit to adjust the water level in the skimmer body .
if i was T.P i was check other pump to match to that skimmer insted of the aqua bees .
bottom line it's skim ok but personal i am not impressive from the foam.

anyway this is my opinion and i don't have nothing against those KZ skimmer but i think they need more improvement.

enjoy from your new skimmer .
Old 10/15/2007, 08:27 AM
Registered Member

Hahmeister,

I have no clue as to how much air it pulls.

Mavgi,

The elbow I put on there is not to adjust the water level in the skimmer. I just put it there to direct the output to the top as oppose to horizontal. The elbow is much larger then the fitting on the skimmer so with it or without it, the water level in the skimmer is identical. Do you also have one?

Last edited by gabe3d; 10/15/2007 at 08:36 AM.
Old 10/15/2007, 08:34 AM
Registered Member

BTW hahmeister, how much does a dwyer cost and where can I get one? If it is not too expensive I can perhaps get one.
Old 10/15/2007, 09:09 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gabe3d
BTW hahmeister, how much does a dwyer cost and where can I get one? If it is not too expensive I can perhaps get one.
you can get it here (you need to match fitting)

http://www.dwyer-inst.com/htdocs/flow/SeriesRMPrice.cfm

i suggest to go with the RMB-53d-ssv.

NO i don't have one , but i am going to make one for fun

Mr' T.P have patent on that and this is block other company to make it (unless ATB) long time ago i saw a con skimmer that was made by ATI and since then i can't try other one .
the reason is that i am sure it was the best con skimmer and better then the KZ or the ATB (i saw how it perform) so it's hard to get other one when you know that there was something better.... i thoght to try the same skimmer you have but i don't like the pump so i decide to work on one and make the size i want to do .

anyway if you love it i am glad for you and enjoy it
Old 10/15/2007, 12:09 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mavgi
you can get it here (you need to match fitting)

http://www.dwyer-inst.com/htdocs/flow/SeriesRMPrice.cfm

i suggest to go with the RMB-53d-ssv.

NO i don't have one , but i am going to make one for fun

Mr' T.P have patent on that and this is block other company to make it (unless ATB) long time ago i saw a con skimmer that was made by ATI and since then i can't try other one .
the reason is that i am sure it was the best con skimmer and better then the KZ or the ATB (i saw how it perform) so it's hard to get other one when you know that there was something better.... i thoght to try the same skimmer you have but i don't like the pump so i decide to work on one and make the size i want to do .

anyway if you love it i am glad for you and enjoy it
Thanks for the link.

They are pretty inexpensive might as well get one for fun. What kind of fitting do you need to get? The tip of the air intake for the skimmer can actually fit a 1/4'' air hose, what kind of connector is on the Dwyer air meter?

Let us know how your DIY conical skimmer turns out, what pump are you going to use and how are you planning to induce bubbles?

The Aquabee 5000 is actually not too bad, with it connected to my skimmer it utilizes 54watts with a power factor of .95. It is also extremely quiet. I've stopped and started it a few dozen times and I have yet to experience the restart issues people have been getting with this pump. The only thing I notice is that perhaps the body of the skimmer is a little too small for the amount of air and water the pump puts into the skimmer.

Don't quite love it yet, i'll have to wait for a few months to see how i really like it. but so far no complaints other than the air intake being a little loud.
Old 10/15/2007, 12:18 PM
RC Sponsor

Mavgi

Atb is already here in the us. I'm testing as we speak. If you pm your email i can send videos and pics.
Old 10/15/2007, 02:12 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by victor90
Mavgi

Atb is already here in the us. I'm testing as we speak. If you pm your email i can send videos and pics.
Can I also get the videos and pics, I'm curious to see how it well it works. I was asking a relative over in France to get one for me last month but the logistics were just too complicated so I got the Revolution since you can order direct from them.

Last edited by gabe3d; 10/15/2007 at 02:17 PM.
Old 10/15/2007, 03:24 PM
Premium Member

My S pulls 400 lpm on my dwyer, I know that is not a whole lot, but for this skimmer it works. I had BM 200 that pulled four times the amount of air and never even touched the skimming capability of the KZ. I love the beckett and the cone combo, it my not be right for everyone but it is a dream for me. The only downfall, is KZ is way over priced and the pump restart issue and you must use some type of bubble trap, beacuse this skimmer produces a lot of bubble's through the outake.

Here is a the skimmer in action after three days of work, no additives, only a calcium reactor with arm and KZ MAG media. you can make your own conclusion. I just know on my new 400 gallon system I will be running the M model..

Old 10/15/2007, 03:28 PM
El Jefe de WRS

I gotta say, they are a bit liberal with the size ratings. The S model... I wouldnt run that on anything larger than a 120g. And not to knock your pic either, but its kind of like the old 'put a remora in a 500g cesspool and see if it doesnt overflow either'.
Old 10/15/2007, 03:34 PM
clownfish fan

Quote:
Originally posted by hahnmeister
I gotta say, they are a bit liberal with the size ratings. The S model... I wouldnt run that on anything larger than a 120g. And not to knock your pic either, but its kind of like the old 'put a remora in a 500g cesspool and see if it doesnt overflow either'.
my deltec HOB has been skimming really wet since i cleaned it and it had foam shooting out of it the same way from 24 hours skimming this morning,

really it means nothing other than it can fill its collection cup.
Old 10/15/2007, 03:50 PM
Registered Member

On the subject of skimmer/tank pairing it seems that an undersized skimmer is perhaps better than an oversized skimmer. Seems like more people run into problems with skimmer being too large for their tanks rather than the other way around. I've read a few people run into the problem where there aren't enough nutrients in their tank to build enough foam head for it to reach the top, notably ATIs and BKs. Not implying that KZ doesn't have this problem, just a remark from what I've noticed on a few threads.
Old 10/15/2007, 04:19 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gabe3d
On the subject of skimmer/tank pairing it seems that an undersized skimmer is perhaps better than an oversized skimmer. Seems like more people run into problems with skimmer being too large for their tanks rather than the other way around. I've read a few people run into the problem where there aren't enough nutrients in their tank to build enough foam head for it to reach the top, notably ATIs and BKs. Not implying that KZ doesn't have this problem, just a remark from what I've noticed on a few threads.
I agree with that. I have a EuroReef 100RS on a 40 gallon tank. I can never feed enough to get a good foam head. I typically recommend people not to jsut get the largest skimmer possible. I see that way too many times. Same goes with lighting, people want to put 500W over 50 gallon tanks. Sometimes, more is not always better.
Old 10/15/2007, 04:32 PM
Charleston Reefer

Sounds like user error.

I used my DAS ex-2 on my 30 gal tank with 2 fish. It pulls 1000LPM and if that isn't overkill i don't know what is. Never had a problem producing a foam head. It doesn't pull as much skimmate as my 90 just that is understandable.
Old 10/15/2007, 05:23 PM
Registered Member

I really don't think it is always a matter of user error but rather having your skimmer performing at its optimal level.

I'm sure you can get a large skimmer to work on a small tank that was not meant for it to run on. It's just a matter of restricting the water coming out of the body enough for it to raise the bubbles high enough for it to fall in the collection cup. It'll be skimming but not as it was designed or as effective as it could be.
Old 10/15/2007, 07:11 PM
Registered Member

Just took this an hour ago, which is around 17 hours apart from the picture above. So far I can't complain, other than the whistling air intake.
Old 10/15/2007, 10:18 PM
Registered Member

gabe3d :

IMO you skim to wet and if you will adjust the skimmer water level and the bubble size you will get a better skimming result .

victor90 :

Glad to see you bring them here to the us , i know how the ATB skimmer work long time ago

i will send you pm .
Old 10/15/2007, 11:16 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
gabe3d :

IMO you skim to wet and if you will adjust the skimmer water level and the bubble size you will get a better skimming result .

victor90 :

Glad to see you bring them here to the us , i know how the ATB skimmer work long time ago

i will send you pm .
The only reason i like to skim a little wet, though it is not extremely wet in my case (flash is on, liquid is opaque to the point you can't see through and there is no separation in the liquid) is for two reasons. I skim wetter thinking that since the bubbles require less surface tension to get collected it will collect waste easier and more rapidly. Secondly skimming a little wet prevents crusting of organic compounds at the top of the body and neck, which will allow me to run my skimmer longer efficiently and better.
Old 10/15/2007, 11:40 PM
Registered Member

i perfer to skim wet then dry to. the nice part in the Con shape that you can use more air intake and the bubble with the foam move without pressure continuously to the cup. i still think that with little adjusting the skimming result will be better .

Here it's a short video how i skim little wet unfortunately i can't keep it long time because i need a bigger cup .

Old 10/16/2007, 12:00 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
i perfer to skim wet then dry to. the nice part in the Con shape that you can use more air intake and the bubble with the foam move without pressure continuously to the cup. i still think that with little adjusting the skimming result will be better .

Here it's a short video how i skim little wet unfortunately i can't keep it long time because i need a bigger cup .

That's a nice thick foam head you have there, is that from one of your DIY skimmer? If so that is a really good job.

When you say better if I were to adjust the skimming do you mean by that? Darker and also more? Thanks.
Old 10/16/2007, 12:26 AM
Registered Member

i think the water level need to be lower .

i don't know where is the water level will be when you will take out the air valve , but if it was me i was play more with this toy .

i was taking out the air valve and try to fit the skimmer in the right water level in the sump (need to play with this and with a lot of patient ) when you find the right adjustment the foam in the cup will be all over and move nice and slow continuously to the cup . it will be darker skimming but still wet and you will see more detritus in the cup . the detritus that you see in the acrylic on the lid will be all over the skimmer , and it will look like that (i believe your cup bigger then mine so it will be more gentle )

Last edited by mavgi; 10/16/2007 at 12:39 AM.
Old 10/16/2007, 12:57 AM
Registered Member

Alright let me give that a try, I really can't lower the amount of water in the body since currently it is completely unrestricted. The elbow I have added is much larger then the skimmer fitting so it doesn't restrict the skimmer output at all. However there is one way I can lower the water level which is to remove the siphon feed mechanism I have in my sump that directs all of the overflow water into my skimmer.

My skimmer actually started to foam densely with chunks like your picture but the bubbles didn't burst in the collection cup so I changed the settings, perhaps I'll add some silicon grease where the bubbles overflow into the cup to force a break. Thanks for the tips. BTW, are you also German or some other European nationality?