Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/18/2007, 09:05 AM
Registered Member

ahhh youth

no wonder the world is going to h.e. double hockey sticks in a handbasket. i just had this conversation with the father of one of my juvies...

me: law office, may i help you?

dad: yeah, this is joe blow and i wanna know why my kid is being singled out in this mess.

me: well, umm, first of all, he had a one-hitter in his pocket. second of all, he had a bag of weed on the seat next to him. third, HE REEKED OF POT. did you read the police reports?

dad: yeah well, i don't think it's fair that HE got charged and nobody else did. no, i didn't read the *expletive deleted* police reports.

me: perhaps you should. let me assure you, others are charged but since they are juveniles and that's not public record, i won't say any more.

dad: yeah well, i don't see the big deal. everybody's doing it. he's 15 *expletive deleted* years old, ain't all 15-year-olds smokin' dope?

me: oh i would imagine many are but i wouldn't say "all" necessarily. now sir, i will be sending you a plea offer from the state. you should review it asap and call me so we can discuss it.

dad: i ain't takin' any plea offer. i wanna go to trial.

me: you'll lose. but that's your decision. call me back when you cool off and we'll talk.

dad: yeah well...

me: click
Old 12/18/2007, 09:17 AM
On "The List"

you have more patience that me, I would have used "the click" right after the first *expletive deleted*

here's an idea...

practice the following phrase in your best robot zombie voice

"I'm sorry, the profanity censor is terminating this call"

then give them the "CLICK"

HEY! I lost it first ~CRP

There is no "Brain" in "Brian." ~Beerguy
Old 12/18/2007, 09:20 AM
Registered Member

the problem with that, bartmysweet, is that i get profane right back at 'em. i seem to have a little more patience this morning but it's wearing thin quickly. very thin, very quickly.
Old 12/18/2007, 09:24 AM
On "The List"

I like my idea better

neeners: the robot zombie telephone terminator!

HEY! I lost it first ~CRP

There is no "Brain" in "Brian." ~Beerguy
Old 12/18/2007, 09:24 AM
Moved In

Quote:
dad: yeah, this is joe blow and i wanna know why my kid is being singled out in this mess.
You have no idea how much this makes me laugh......

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!
Old 12/18/2007, 09:26 AM
Reeferus Horribilus

You could try the Dell CS line, "I am sorry but that is not possible, Is there anything else I can be helping you with?"

Or I lend you my line, "Yeah? Well life's not fair...buy a helmet."

Old 12/18/2007, 10:02 AM
i'm here for you two

i can't believe that he wasn't mad that his child was smoking pot,

if that was my son i say let his butt rot in jail cause i'm not paying to get him out.

A wedding? I love weddings! Drinks all around! "Cap'n jack sparrow"
Old 12/18/2007, 10:46 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by crzy4reefs

if that was my son i say let his butt rot in jail cause i'm not paying to get him out.
most of my juvies get their drugs from their parents.
Old 12/18/2007, 10:50 AM
Team RC Member

He probably supplied it. Pity you can't get a warrant on probable cause.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 12/18/2007, 10:58 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sk8r
He probably supplied it. Pity you can't get a warrant on probable cause.
daddy's been in and out of the system for years. it's only a matter of time and i'll be filing a speedy trial motion on his behalf.
Old 12/18/2007, 11:58 AM
Registered Member

Quote:

I'm right with ya but unfortuantly Nina is right-
Quote:
Originally posted by Nina51

Christy...

so...what are you wearing...?

panties...?

lace panties...?

that's what I'm wearing - ScubaDave and the telemarketer...

Life can be short, just like me... Live it to the fullest!!! Family is always there for you NO matter what, just like a "true friend" would be... A cheat is a cheat, and are always busted...
Old 12/18/2007, 12:00 PM
i'm here for you two

yeah i kinda figured that the kids are probably getting their goods from their so called parents. Just sickens me that these kids really never had a chance at a good life

A wedding? I love weddings! Drinks all around! "Cap'n jack sparrow"
Old 12/18/2007, 12:09 PM
Simply Complicated

Quote:

Isn't that enough probable cause to "jack slap" the parent?
(cleaned that up with help from the nurse here)
Old 12/18/2007, 12:17 PM
Registered Member

what happened to living in fear of your parents...not abusive fear but I walked a straight and narrow path during my childhood knowing that one mistep would result in swift and severe punishment.

I had a neighbor whos son droped out of school, got mixed in with a dope crowd and while he was never arrested to my knowledge was known to have stole stuff from people in the neighborhood. I'm outside my house and his "DAD" asks me if I could have a talk with him....... ummmm your the 'father" isn't that more your place than mine...........

“The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything.” - Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 12/18/2007, 12:34 PM
Moderator Clone

Quote:
yeah i kinda figured that the kids are probably getting their goods from their so called parents. Just sickens me that these kids really never had a chance at a good life
It's not just "those parents."

We had an upper middle class neighborhood that was calling with a number of complaints. There is a paved trail system through this urban area, connecting small parks and swimming pools. These paths are called paseos.

Now there seemed to be a problem near one of the clubhouses on one of these paseos. Juveniles were gathering there, drinking, smoking pot and scaring the locals on their nightly walks. I checked one morning and found literally hundreds of empty alcohol containers.

This generally happened on weekend evenings when the regular patrol guys were tied up, so we set up a sweep with a bunch of reserve officers we called in.

They made over 40 "under 21 in possession of alcohol" arrests (cite and release) and about 20 juveniles (under 18) were brought in for possession of alcohol and curfew violation.

The response of the parents when they came to pick up their children was less than stellar. "Why are you harrassing the kids?" "Where are they supposed to go?" "They're just being kids," and "What's the big deal?"

Um, the big deal? The fact that residents who lived in the area couldn't walk on pathways near their own homes because of drunken kids, some of whom were vomiting, others urinating and some leaving clay boas for the neighbors to find on their morning strolls. How about residents who can't go to sleep in their own homes due to the loud music and noise coming from the paseo? How about the pig sty left behind (remember those hundreds of bottles and cans)? How about the fact that these kids were coming from throughout our valley to party there? In other words, they didn't live in the neighborhood they were trashing (10-15 mile commutes to the "party zone" were not uncommon). Remember, these underage kids were drinking here, then DRIVING away.

So, these parents didn't have a problem with what their little Johnny was doing either (great message to send to their kids - argue with the police about whether the action taken was justified). Everything is the fault of the police or overly sensitive neighbors. I had to very pointedly tell some of these folks that if it wasn't a problem, I'd give out their address to the kids we caught in the future and tell them to go party at their house, since it was apparently okay. What morons!

{end rant}

Kevin

UCLA: 100
Stanford: 94
Southern California: 84
Oklahoma State: 48
Arkansas: 43
LSU: 40

Go PAC 10!
Old 12/18/2007, 12:43 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by drauka99
what happened to living in fear of your parents...not abusive fear but I walked a straight and narrow path during my childhood knowing that one mistep would result in swift and severe punishment.

I had a neighbor whos son droped out of school, got mixed in with a dope crowd and while he was never arrested to my knowledge was known to have stole stuff from people in the neighborhood. I'm outside my house and his "DAD" asks me if I could have a talk with him....... ummmm your the 'father" isn't that more your place than mine...........

A lack of total RESPECT is one of the major problems imho- Our kids know to be respectful to other adults-and other peoples property... Also our kids know that once I give them a certain look, then don't take the issue any farther b/c all it will do will get them in deep... but kids are kids and they'll try every now and again the but why not- or puurttty pleasssse- but after that certain look they'll say ok n/m ... oh and I pretty much stick to my decisions, and I think that helps also...

Christy

panties...?

lace panties...?

Life can be short, just like me... Live it to the fullest!!! Family is always there for you NO matter what, just like a "true friend" would be... A cheat is a cheat, and are always busted...
Old 12/18/2007, 02:07 PM
Registered Member

kevin, you have put into words the exact reason i live where i live. in the middle of nowhere. you can't get there from here. dead-end road. you couldn't give me a million dollars to move back to town.

the only problems we ever had stemmed from an old abandoned farm house over the hill. the first couple of years we lived here, that old house was used by the local teens for pot parties and drinking. when it was bulldozed and the remains were hauled away or buried, we never heard another sound from that direction except for the hoot owls in the trees at night.

i agree, there is a big problem with the lack of respect these days. when i was in high school shutupdinoandmisledandtherestofyouyayoos, i had to wake my dad up when i came in from being out with friends. if i was one lousy minute past curfew, i got grounded. no questions asked. didn't matter if the car broke down or i was held at gunpoint by a crazed lunatic. the only excuse good enough was death and even then, my dad probably would have given my corpse the 3rd degree.
Old 12/18/2007, 02:13 PM
Registered Member

that and a lot of parents want to be "friends" with their kids and not parents... I can hang out with my girls , Josh and I get along very well but I still set the rules - I still stick to my rules - I still hand out punishments ... and I'm still a fairly decent mom, at least I think so...

I may sit down and have a beer watching a show but I by no means sit down and get sloshed in front of them or their friends. We'll walk over to the club for that ... like a normal person would do-

Christy-

panties...?

lace panties...?

Old 12/18/2007, 02:20 PM
in the bathtub

When I was 17 I was picked up from the local constabulary by my mother. She took me home without a word. When we arrived home she told me that I could come out of my room to attend school and take meals, beyond that I was to be in my room. After a week of this without a further word from her i broke down and asked how long this would last and when would she talk to me. She said "If she started talking I would die. I would would be released from my room when she was sure she wouldn't kill me." I quietly returned to my room. After several weeks she suspended the sentence and I asked if she wanted to talk about it. She replied "Is there really anything I need to say?" There wasn't, I got it.

Ed: "I hate to tell you this Dr., but there aren't any fish in that river. In fact, there isn't any river."
Dr. Lao: "That's ok. Me no use bait."
Old 12/18/2007, 03:00 PM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

Spare the rod, spoil the child

Gads I remember when I was a kid you didn't dare smart off to adults, now days the little bass turds think nothing of flipping you the bird if you look at them sideways.
Old 12/18/2007, 03:06 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Fat Man
When I was 17 I was picked up from the local constabulary by my mother. She took me home without a word. When we arrived home she told me that I could come out of my room to attend school and take meals, beyond that I was to be in my room. After a week of this without a further word from her i broke down and asked how long this would last and when would she talk to me. She said "If she started talking I would die. I would would be released from my room when she was sure she wouldn't kill me." I quietly returned to my room. After several weeks she suspended the sentence and I asked if she wanted to talk about it. She replied "Is there really anything I need to say?" There wasn't, I got it.
your mom was cut out of the same mold as my dad. gotta love 'em!

my mom couldn't dish it out. it broke her heart to have to punish us. not that my dad LIKED it but he was good at it. one of the worst things ever about getting into trouble, even something really minor...my dad traveled for business so mom would just say to us "when your dad gets home, you can tell him what you did." there were times when we'd have to think about it for DAYS. it was sheer torture!!
Old 12/18/2007, 03:40 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
"when your dad gets home, you can tell him what you did." there were times when we'd have to think about it for DAYS. it was sheer torture!!
I heard that same thing but the absolute worst was -

Go get me a switch.

thats like making the guy in the electric chair flip the switch himself.

we had to go out to the peach trees and break off more or dad a sutible branch for them to use to whip our behinds. You don't know how much thought went into pickign out the right switch that would hurt the least but that they wouldn't reject and go get their own..............

now thats torture

“The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything.” - Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 12/19/2007, 10:56 AM
in the bathtub

Quote:
your mom was cut out of the same mold as my dad. gotta love 'em!

my mom couldn't dish it out. it broke her heart to have to punish us. not that my dad LIKED it but he was good at it. one of the worst things ever about getting into trouble, even something really minor...my dad traveled for business so mom would just say to us "when your dad gets home, you can tell him what you did." there were times when we'd have to think about it for DAYS. it was sheer torture!!
A few days after I was paroled my dad came to pick me up for a few weeks. I asked Mom if she had told him, she hadn’t. The whole time the three of us were in the same room she’d just look at me with an evil grin on her face. She never did tell him as can be attested by the fact that I am here, and in reasonable health, to relate this story.

Quote:
I heard that same thing but the absolute worst was -

Go get me a switch.

thats like making the guy in the electric chair flip the switch himself.

we had to go out to the peach trees and break off more or dad a sutible branch for them to use to whip our behinds. You don't know how much thought went into pickign out the right switch that would hurt the least but that they wouldn't reject and go get their own..............

now thats torture
That was Granny at my house and we had a plum tree.

Ed: "I hate to tell you this Dr., but there aren't any fish in that river. In fact, there isn't any river."
Old 12/19/2007, 10:59 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Fat Man
That was Granny at my house and we had a plum tree.
we had one of those as well but somehow we convinced mom and dad it ws a bad tree and they cut it down (I think it got some kind of parasite in it )

Granny did the - wait till your mom and dad get home bit. usually I could be good for arounf 2hrs before they got home and she would not tell them

Old 12/19/2007, 11:04 AM
in the bathtub

Quote:
we had one of those as well but somehow we convinced mom and dad it ws a bad tree and they cut it down (I think it got some kind of parasite in it )

Granny did the - wait till your mom and dad get home bit. usually I could be good for arounf 2hrs before they got home and she would not tell them
Occasionally I'd hightail out of the house until mom got home. I preferred the belt.