Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Other Invertebrates
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/17/2007, 11:26 AM
Registered Member

Purple Bali Lobster

Hello,

I was looking through one of these online vendor sites and was looking for an interesting invert to add to my tank (40 Breeder) and came across this little lobster. Well, the description said that they are reef safe. What do they mean by that? Will they go after small fish (gobies etc) and shrimp but leave corals alone? Do any of you have any experience with these animals? What do they eat in the aquarium? Please let me know what you think

Rafael
Old 12/17/2007, 01:19 PM
Invert Addict

According to this site http://www.marinedepotlive.com/red-l...-lobsters.html

they're generally aggressive towards tankmates & will eat small & medium size fish. Likes to sift through sand for detritus.

More information along the same lines here
http://www.freshmarine.com/red-lobster.html
Old 12/17/2007, 01:31 PM
Registered Member

Thanks Leslie,

That seems more correct. I always thought of crabs and lobsters as inverts to keep away from small fish,etc. but I have never researched this particular species and was wondering if maybe reefers had experienced otherwise. I appreciate your quick reply.

Rafael
Old 12/19/2007, 07:13 PM
Registered Member

I have one and he's very beautiful, but hides ALL the time. I generally know that he's still alive due to his molting and leaving shell in places. I've suspected him of killing some of my bottom dwellers and a couple of shrimp. I'm switching to a larger tank and am thinking of taking him to my LFS for a trade....

If you get one, you'll never see him....
Old 12/19/2007, 11:05 PM
Registered Member

Hey Scouncil,

That's pretty neat that you keep one. I see them for sale often but never have really seen them in people's systems.
I can definitely see what you're saying. I figured that they would hide in a larger system so I wanted to put them into smaller invert tank but I think he would probably go after the shrimp and small bottom dwellers.
Thanks for the reply,

Rafael