Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/06/2007, 12:51 PM
Registered Member

Koralias for 29G Tank

Getting tired of my Power Filter and no name powerhead combo. I want to replace them with a Koralia or two or maybe even a Koralia Maxi-jet combo. Whatever works best.

I currently have 45lbs of LR in one big pile in the center of the tank with lots of open space around the back, front, and sides. I have 2 Tomato Clowns and a Lawnmower Blenny. Planning on owning mostly Mushroom coral with some Soft and Polyp.

Advice.
Old 12/06/2007, 12:58 PM
Registered Member

I would use 2 Hydor Koralia #1 or one #2, but its mainly about positioning to get good flow. Direct them at the glass if its blowing your substrate around.

Annother key thing to note is dont use the adaptor that they come with as it converts them to a more laminar flow - not something you really want as they just turn into normal powerheads :P

Do you have a skimmer or a sump?
Old 12/06/2007, 01:13 PM
Registered Member

No Sump, I do have a Skimmer though. I actually meant to get rid of the power filter once the Skimmer came into play, but never got around to it...
Old 12/06/2007, 01:18 PM
Registered Member

I have one number 2 in my 28 gallon and it is the perfect amount of flow in my opinion. There are no dead spots if you position it correctly, and the flow is plenty strong. I also have a Maxi-Jet 1200 attached to my protein skimmer.
Old 12/06/2007, 01:39 PM
Registered Member

A two sounds about right. Or even a couple 1s
Old 12/06/2007, 01:51 PM
Registered Member

What size Koralia would you use for a 60 gal cube. Sorry if i'm hi-jacking.
Old 12/06/2007, 02:42 PM
Registered Member

2 #3's would be best for a 60 imo
Old 12/06/2007, 02:45 PM
Premium Member

I have the stock pumps that came on my 28g nanocube and I added the Koralia 1. It was not enough flow. I traded it back in for the #2 which is the sweet spot. Just enough flow to move things around.

But if you add a really small fish, say some juvenile clowns, it might be too much flow for them.