Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Colorado Rocky Mountain Reef Club
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/05/2007, 04:15 PM
Registered Member

Copepods

I have a dumb question and also an interest in purchasing a re-seeding package.

First off, we have a 46g bowfront with a penn-plex canister filter. After our last water change/cleaning we plugged the filter in and a million copepod/amphipods came out flushing the entire tank with floating pods of some sort. When looking at these I really cant tell the difference between the species but I believe they are amphipods. Now my question is what would cause this to happen? When cleaning out the canister we didnt see any form of life in there. So why would they get flushed out when plugging it back in? Also, can you tell if these things are alive or dead? There were some really big ones that floated to the top that I assumed were dead but can you see these things swim or not? The fish also thought this was christmas as they were flipping out and consuming these very fast.

Secondly does anyone know of a place I can buy live copepods for re-seeding my rock/culturing them for my mandarin? I have given the flash light test and keep seeing fewer and fewer and I want to make sure my mandarin stays well fed. I also hate paying $25 in shipping to get live copepods in the mail so if anyone knows of a lfs or local aquarist that sells them or could spare a few please let me know. I am lin Denver
Old 12/05/2007, 04:25 PM
Premium Member

pods

http://www.copepodgeek.com/should be able to help you out...If you go to thescmas.com his user nasme is thejrc at least it is in Colorado
Old 12/05/2007, 04:29 PM
Premium Member

www.copepodgeek.com --- Sorry
Old 12/05/2007, 07:06 PM
Registered Member

let me know if you order, I want in.
A few of us ordered a ways back and had very good results.

Maybe mdrum will chime in on where we got our order from. Could have been from oceanpods.
Old 12/05/2007, 07:07 PM
Anemone Rancher

The best investment you can make is probably a refugium (if you don't have one) so the pods you have will have a breeding place where the fish can't munch the seed corn (so to speak).

...a slow flow from the 'fuge back to your main tank should provide a constant supply.

If the bowfront stand doesn't have room, there are some hang-on-back models available that will do the job. Also, I seem to recall somebody on this forum recently posting a homemade hang-on for sale. If you can find one that will fit both the tank and your budget, I'll bet it would be a better investment than buying pods.

As far as the ones from the canister, I'd guess that they have been living/hiding/breeding in the return hose. The sudden jet of water during startup with clean media probably just flushed them out. I don't think I'd worry about the dead ones...they've had tank water running over them in the hose so if they were going to cause any problem it would have happened before the cleaning.

Haj, thanks for that link! A local supply!!! Mah-velous!!!

Last edited by artful-dodger; 12/05/2007 at 07:13 PM.
Old 12/05/2007, 07:08 PM
Registered Member

reefnutrition.com
Old 12/05/2007, 08:17 PM
Anemone Rancher

Okay, at least now I understand why I couldn't find the DIY HOB refugium post...try here
Old 12/05/2007, 08:39 PM
Registered Member

I made a DIY HOB fuge from an aquaclear filter. I got the directions from a thread that Kei, (fishetcinc) had a couple years ago. It works well.
Bill
Old 12/05/2007, 10:30 PM
Registered Member

Key's Island I believe is a vendor for reef nutrition.
2 * Korlia 4
Aquamedic Calcium Reactor 1000
Red Sea 50mg Ozonizer
Old 12/06/2007, 07:33 PM
I can spell you cant READ

If you want to come to the Springs I can get all you want I have a 150g sump/fuge packed with stuff
Old 12/06/2007, 07:54 PM
Registered Member

lfduty I make just take you up on that. Do you have any plans this weekend most likely saturday? Would you like some compensation? And should I just bring a water tight container?
Old 12/07/2007, 03:32 AM
I can spell you cant READ

I will be in all day Saturday just tell me when you want to come and get it and I will PM you my address and PH# and if you have any thing you don't want or want to get out of your tank that will work for a comp for me and if not that's ok to just LMK.. And that go's for any one..