Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Central Ohio Reef Aquarists (CORA)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/20/2007, 09:48 AM
Premium Member

First coral

I upgraded my lighting to T5s this past week! Now I'm going reef! I picked up a leather from Phishy last night. I think its a Sarcophyton. It looks like its doing fine. It didn't even occur to me that I should have QTed it.

What other easy things are out there to start with?

Jason
Old 10/20/2007, 10:35 AM
Premium Member

Old 10/20/2007, 11:05 AM
Registered Member

you should decide what kind of corals you like most, then start with the easiest in that catogory maybe.
softlys and lps go great with t5s. donno about sps.

-Had to find some higher ground, had some fear to get around-
Old 10/20/2007, 12:17 PM
Premium Member

Maybe I should have done more research on that end.

He's pretty high in the tank. We'll see how it goes. If he's not doing well, then I'll trade him off I guess.

Bummer....

Jason
Old 10/20/2007, 12:48 PM
Registered Member

no way, it'll do great in your tank!! but its a softy.. and you can get more light-needing corals than softys.

If you want all softys.. then go for it.

My whole tank is lps, 1 sps, and 2 diff kinds of softy polyps (that i really want to get rid of but have polutted so many of my big rocks im just living with it) lol

dont forget to keep up with your alk and calcium now too

Old 10/20/2007, 01:03 PM
Moved On

Mushrooms will do great. good beginner coral
Old 10/20/2007, 07:19 PM
Premium Member

Oh good. I don't have a problem with the alkalinity and Ca. I top off with kalk water (for the Coraline and GFO) since I don't change much water (NO4 is only 5ppm, No PO4). My Mg is a little low though, I do need to fix that.)

Is it the softies and the SPS/LPS that don't play nice together? Chemical war fare?
Old 10/20/2007, 10:38 PM
Registered Member

Chemical warfare can happen with many different varieties of coral when placed too close to each other in the tank.
It is more common with LPS type corals usually.
For example Frogspawn will put out sweeper tentacles that can sting other corals up to 4" away.
Other corals will release compounds into the water when threatened.
It is a good idea to research each type of coral for lighting and interaction issues before purchase.
I saw a time lapse on Blue Planet a few nights ago where a LPS devoured a Monti cap in about 12 hours.
Zooanthids (softy) can be toxic to humans too, so don't assume anything when dealing with a reef.
I received a sting on an open cut on my hand that knocked me out for 2-3 hours, it tasted like copper in my mouth when I awoke from my "nap". I do not put my hands in the tank if there is an open cut now without gloves.
Inverts like cucumbers and sea hares can also be toxic and cause problems if they expel their guts (defense mechanism) when threatened.

The saying goes, "nothing Good ever happens fast in a reef"

I have a green speckled Mushroom frag left over from the swap if you want to give it a try. I also have a Blue stripe and a Red mushroom frag that are doing well. You can have all 3 for $10.
I prefer buying small colonies and let them grow, that way if it does not thrive you are not out a lot of money.
Once you are comfortable your tank parameters are good and stable then start adding larger pieces.
HTH,
Ken
Old 10/21/2007, 09:25 AM
Premium Member

Hi Ken, Thanks for the offer. Do you have any pics of them?

(I'm going to be away on a business trip until the middle of the week, so if I don't get back to you soon, that's why.)

Thanks!
Jason
Old 10/22/2007, 06:27 AM
Registered Member

The one on the small frag disc is the Green speckled one.
http://www.kccweb.com/tank/Images/Re...alLeftSide.jpg
I don't have photos of the others, but they will grow up to look like the Red ones and the one on the larger frag disc to the left.
The red one is still quite small at the moment and the mouth is not well formed yet. So it may be good that you are away on business to give it a chance to grow.
Ken
Old 10/24/2007, 06:14 PM
Premium Member

Hi Ken,
I think I'll pass on the mushroom frags for the time being. I'm not a huge fan of them. I really appreciate the offer though.

Thank you,
Jason
Old 10/24/2007, 07:02 PM
Registered Member

my first coral were pink poylps. (though i sold the coral i still have hidden polyps popping up all the time

second was yellow polyps
the gsp lol

Old 10/24/2007, 07:46 PM
Premium Member

I think mine is doing well, but how would I know if it wasn't?

Jason
Old 10/24/2007, 08:25 PM
Registered Member

its polyps wouldent come out and it would slime up i think.

Old 10/24/2007, 08:50 PM
Premium Member

No slime and it looks like the pic still... Are the polyps those little doodads on the end of the thingies or the thingies themselves?