Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/01/2007, 01:06 AM
Registered Member

Question Formula One Food

I thought I would give this food a try since I've always feed just frozen brine/spirlina and mysis. I put a half of cube in some tank water to thaw it out and when I poured it into the tank it was still in it's cube form unlike the brine or mysis. It sank to the bottom and my fish didn't pay much attention to it.

Is it normal to feed this in one big cube or do those of you that use it, chop it up into little fish bite sized bits??

The company website doesnt give much detail on how to feed this product.

I'm probably over thinking this and this post is a dumb question!

Thanks for any and all help.

Mike
Old 11/01/2007, 05:44 AM
Registered Member

I use a plastic 1 cup measuring cup, (exclusively used for the tank of course), fill about 1/2 to 3/4 full of tank water, drop frozen cube in to thaw. After a few minutes, I physically smash and squish the cube up in my fingers in the cup into all nice and tiny pieces. Then pour out cup through your fish net to catch all the food, and release all the yucky stuff that feeds algae into the sink; and then swish your net laden with food around your tank. Voila! Hope you understood my regimen. Yes you will have to squish up the cube somehow as the Formula 1 and 2 have these yuckky gels and binders in them. Best of luck to you and blissful reefing.
Old 11/01/2007, 06:51 AM
Registered Member

I had the same problem with the Formula One Cubes too. Mine said that it had some sort of binding gel to help hold it together. I forget exactly, it was over a year ago. I wound up throwing it away. I go with the Formula flakes and Prime Reef flakes instead. I use frozen mysis and brine also. I guess you should chop it up, but most of my fish didn't touch it even after I chopped it up.
Old 11/01/2007, 10:06 AM
Premium Member

If your feeding fish that pick at their food (angels and tangs) the gel cubes are excellant but there is a certain way to use them.

You can buy the clip already set up or make your own for cheap. The clip is just the standard algae clip. Get a piece of gutter gaurd and fold it in half. Put the food in between the folds and attach to the clip. You now have a food that will be available to the pickers all day long.

Carl
Old 11/01/2007, 11:15 AM
Registered Member

Thank you all for the input. I'm going to give a few of these suggestions a try and see how they work.

It looks like this morning that my Diamond Goby ate most of the pieces I put in the tank yesterday that sank to the substrate.

Mike
Old 11/01/2007, 10:04 PM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

I chop mine with a razor before thawing. The fish LOVE it!

I will try a feeding clip though, that sounds like a good idea.
Old 11/02/2007, 02:57 AM

I put a cube in a small cup, soak in Zoe and a drop of Zoecon...leave for 10 mins to thaw out while gently squishing the cube with the turkey baster. When I'm ready to feed, I turn off the powerheads/wavemaker and use the turkey baster to target feed fish. DO NOT put too much food until they are done with what you just gave them.
Old 11/02/2007, 09:12 AM
Registered Member

I was told that you could put it in a plastic bag with r/o water and zip it up. Then put it in the tank to defrost. Take it out of the tank and smoosh it and dump it in the tank without having to touch it.
My fish love it.