Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/01/2007, 08:24 PM
Registered Member

Innovative Ways To Mount Filter Socks/Bags

How do you mount your filter bags/socks in your sump? I have seen sump inlet holder assemblies, but they only have one inlet per sock. I'd like to have three drains emptying into one sock. Any ideas? Any pictures?

Thanks,

Joe
Old 11/01/2007, 08:28 PM
Charleston Reefer

This is what i use...

Shouldn't be that hard to make something like this for what you want to do.
Old 11/01/2007, 08:31 PM
Grand High Puba

I'm using this one.
http://www.championlighting.com/prod...1&cat=0&page=1

They make this one as well.
http://www.championlighting.com/prod...3&cat=0&page=1

You can have 2 drains for one sock.
Old 11/01/2007, 08:39 PM
Registered Member

Thanks.

Anybody just buy the filter bags with the ties and just tie them onto the end of your drain pipes?

Joe
Old 11/02/2007, 03:11 PM
Registered Member

I just use one bigger bag for both drain pipes and tie to one. Works just fine..
Old 11/02/2007, 03:42 PM
Registered Member

I have a standard sump that had a slide out drip tray. I replaced with an acrylic sheet with holes cut to hold two filter bags with plastic rims. The top piece is another acrylic sheet drilled to hold PVC fittings for the drain hoses and skimmer return hose.

Both upper acrylic sheet with PVC fittings and gaskets to keep from leaking. And, lower acrylic sheet holding the two filter bags. If you can see it, I cut most of the front acrylic dividing "wall", of what could be a bio-ball tower, away so I could slide the sheet with the bags in and out without having to remove the lid and pull the bags out from the top. I left a strip of it going across the bottom and left the side edges to help keep the sump rigid even after removing most of the dividing wall.

The PVC fittings are centered over the bags. Two drain lines from overflow dump into rear bag. Front bad is for skimmer return to catch microbubbles.

Acrylic sheet with bags slides out like a drawer for easy access to replace the bags. I replace with clean bags twice per week. I glued two acrylic bars on the sides of the sump to act as supports for the acrylic sheet so it slides out like a drawer.

I could have centered the PVC connectors in a triangle formation on the top sheet and used a single bag below on the lower sheet.
Old 11/02/2007, 03:43 PM
Registered Member

Thanks....

I went to Home Depot today and picked up a sheet of Lexan. I used my Dremel to cut out a piece, and put a hole in it to accept a 7" filter bag. I am waiting for the 3/4" pvc legs to dry, as I glued them on. We'll see how it turns out.

Joe
Old 11/02/2007, 03:46 PM
Registered Member

DarG,

Thanks for the Pics.!!!! I posted while you were posting.

Joe
Old 11/03/2007, 02:15 PM
Registered Member

Here's my home-made sock holder......does it look O.K.? I guess it will work.

Thanks,

Joe

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 11/03/2007, 02:22 PM
Registered Member

Looks pretty **** good How about another piece of acrylic on the bottom for added support?
Old 11/03/2007, 02:54 PM
Registered Member

Yep, I'm going to add that...Thanks.

Joe
Old 11/03/2007, 04:08 PM
King of the Tank!

I used two pieces of acrylic rod and a sock I copied from RandyStacyE. Who, by the way, has a great website with other DIY items!

Jay
Old 11/03/2007, 04:42 PM
Registered Member

I like that link!!!

Thanks,

Joe
Old 11/03/2007, 04:54 PM
yes it's my aquarium

Re: Innovative Ways To Mount Filter Socks/Bags

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe
How do you mount your filter bags/socks in your sump? I have seen sump inlet holder assemblies, but they only have one inlet per sock. I'd like to have three drains emptying into one sock. Any ideas? Any pictures?

Thanks,

Joe
Lots of nice and fancy filter bag contraptions here!
My solution is quicker, cheaper & more flexible:
go to the Dollar store. Get a perforated plastic basket for $1.00
Stop at the LFS. Get a $4 micron filter pad.
Place filter material in basket. Set basket under all your drains.

Old 11/03/2007, 05:31 PM
Registered Member

Hey Gary,

From one great Dad to another......Thank You! That's innovative!!!!!!!

Joe
Old 11/04/2007, 11:33 AM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe
Here's my home-made sock holder......does it look O.K.? I guess it will work.

Thanks,

Joe
The unit might be more stable if you glue 3 side walls of acrylic to it instead of PVC. Just my 2 cents. Similar to this earlier photo.