Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/16/2007, 08:27 PM
Premium Member

Color change on 4 line wrasse (Paracheilinus tetrataenia) ???

I have had my four line wrasse for a year and half (was full grown when got tank from previous owner). I only have seen one color variation on these guys and didnt thing there was any color changes throughout their life.

But today I came home and found mine has a couple strange red patches on his belly and a red stripe down his back from right above his eyes back about 2/3 of his body.

I tried multiple times to take a picture but couldnt get him. I may try tomorrow.

Does anyone know if these guys have a color change in their life or what could cause big patches of red to develop on a otherwise blue fish...????
Old 10/16/2007, 09:51 PM
Registered Member

ToddG,
I have a six line wrasse that showed a dramatic color change (sounds identical to what your observing) around his belly, this lasted for a couple of days maybe three. It was really wierd, I thought he was going to get sick and die, however he acted normal and the patch just gradually disappeared. He has grown considerably since this event and looks great. I'm wondering if it was food related, that's my only idea.
MGB
Old 10/16/2007, 10:08 PM
Premium Member

4-lines do this when stressed and or excited. He is fine. The colors will go back to normal within a couple hours or days.
Old 10/17/2007, 06:54 AM
Premium Member

Thanks for the responses. It makes me feel better. He is a very good fish and has a lot of character. I would hate for him to die. Hopefully it just clears up like your examples did.

I put a pair of the resplendentXfisheri hybrids in my tank a 4 months ago or so and he tried to get aggressive with them. The larger of the pair put him in check and they have lived ok together.

With the larger angel occasionallyfollowing the wrasse away from his girl (the smaller angel). Yesterday I noticed the angel was a little more aggressive and would follow him more often.

I dont say chase because he just swims after the wrasse at normal pace and the wrasse knows to get out of his way.
Old 10/17/2007, 08:03 PM
Premium Member

Here is a picture of the red patch on his back. It's the best picture I could get if his back. My leopard wrasse got in the picture also. It's the best I could do. The 4 line is fast.