Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Upstate Reef Society
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/11/2008, 10:39 PM
Premium Member

Exclamation Rubbermaid is leaking/crack

Looking to see if anyone has any ideas on this.

I started seeing a small leak on my fishroom floor. but it wasn't much. thought it was just a slow leak on one of my pipes. I just cleaned it up once a week. Then this week it started getting a little worse, maybe a cup or two a day. Enough now that I went to look for the leak. After a while I finally found it. Their is a crack or sometype of imperfection in my 100gallon rubbermaid about 1/3rd of the way from the top that is sprouting a small leak.
I want to redesign the supporting systems for the aquarium anyways but it's going to take me a month or two (or three, four .... ) so I would like to make the container last for a little while. Anyone have any ideas on how to plug the leak without leaching any checmicals into the aquarium water?

My biggest fear is that it losses structural stability and suddenly cracks and then I have a huge problem.

My Uncle who is a pretty handy guy that was with the coast gaurd on the boats for many years thought that if we heat up a glue gun and shove it in the crack then pump in the glue that it should hold. He said there are lots of other ways to fix it from the inside but they may all leach chemicals.

Your thoughts?
Old 01/11/2008, 11:05 PM
Conforming Non-Conformist

Can you run the sump at a lower level for a bit and patch w/ some silicone?
Old 01/11/2008, 11:19 PM
Premium Member

good point. I just looked and yes. the crack appears to be about 3 or 4 inches below the current water level but it is still above the pump bulkheads so I can lower the water level to do the repair. That gives me a lot more options. I can't see the crack inside though. I will have to scrub the area to see if I can find it.

I'll pump the water from the refugium into my water change Brute can and just pump it back after I can fix the problem.
Old 01/12/2008, 12:54 AM
BAMF

I had the exact same problem with my 300 gallon rubbermaid sump. Rubbermaid the company, will give you no help... If the crack is along the side wall, you can easily fix it, even with cutting a hole and installing a bulkhead.

If the crack is on a curve (mine was where the sump curved on 3 axies), you CANT fix it. Don't even bother wasting your time. Just replace the sump...

I patched mine VERY WELL.... It held perfectly for a few months, then it just started leaking again. I let it leak for a few more months, then I finally replaced the sump 2 weeks ago...

Sorry, but your best bet is to buy a new one...

Plus, the cost of the epoxies will be 1/3 the cost of a new one...

Steve
Old 01/12/2008, 01:04 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
even with cutting a hole and installing a bulkhead.
Cheater! That was gonna be my suggestion

If you don't wanna do that, silicone a small acrylic plate on there and really lather it on