Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/09/2007, 09:38 PM
Registered Member

How to glue corals down

I was wondering what the best way is the glue coral down to the live rock. Also what glue can I use. Can I buy it at Home depot or do you have to buy it from a LFS

Scott
Old 09/09/2007, 09:46 PM
Registered Member

usually local fish stores will sell the correct glue. There is also a glue acclerator that u can use as well that will help set the glue faster when working with peices that may be a little damp.

There is also an underwater apoxy that u can use that works really well and can be used underwater!
Old 09/09/2007, 09:57 PM
Registered Member

usually the superglues that they sell at LFS start to harden when they are submerged back in water
Old 09/09/2007, 10:22 PM
King of the Tank!

Scott – I have found super glue gel which you can get at Wal-Mart or Lowes is the best. I dry the frag plug and apply the glue to it. Then hold in place for about a minute. If the frag is on a plug I usually super glue it then use reef safe epoxy like this I got at Marine Depot.

This piece of green birdsnest arrived on a plastic plug. I super glued it to the rock then reinforced it with the epoxy. It will eventually be covered completely by the coral. You can see how the frag in the foreground has completely encrusted the rock covering up the plug.

If it is a soft coral then IME that is a little harder. Some use toothpicks or rubber bands to hold them in place until the coral attaches. Hopefully the frag you get has it already attached to a rock or plug and then you can just super glue the rock in the area you like. Ususally, if it is not attached I place it in an area with low flow up against a piece of rock rubble and wait for it to attach.

HTH

Jay
Old 09/09/2007, 11:52 PM
Premium Member

I have had very good luck with Super Glue Gel. More so than the tubes I've seen at LFS's.