Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/17/2007, 08:49 PM
Registered Member

Oceanic 29 bio tank.. help

just bought a bio tank.. as my first reef tank.. not sure Im happy with it.. has no room for any external pumps or skimmers,, bought the nano fission skimmer but really not sure of it.. anybody have any suggestions on how I can improve on this type of setup.. thanks
Old 09/17/2007, 09:17 PM
Registered Member

i would take the bioballs out of the second chamber and put the protein skimmer in their if it will fit. The bioballs arent really necessary especially if you have a protein skimmer. I would have personnly gone with the saphire protein skimmer made especially for the BC29. What else woukd you like to improve??
Old 09/18/2007, 09:09 AM
Premium Member

Great thread on moding the BC29.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/inde...20today&st=100

I have a BC29. Over a year old now. I got rid of the bio balls, put in a Saphire Aquatics skimmer. Ditched the filter. Put some rock rubble in the first chamber. Added a chiller (problem with old folks keeping house too hot). Added a bigger pump.

In retrospect I wouldn't have gone with the BC. It runs hot anyway. Too much needed to be done with it. Hood isn't hinged, etc. But it's probably too late for you to be reading that :-)