Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/22/2007, 07:54 PM
Registered Member

I'm scared of chemistry!!

Please tell me I don't have to be a chemist to stay in this hobby! I have looked at the list of articles some of which I have actually printed out and read (and not quite understood) and re read (and still not quite understood).
I have a whole line of bottles, all with different dose timing. Then there are all those tests. I think I have them all. OMG, I had no idea!! What have I gotten myself into?
Do I really have to understand this stuff?
And to think I thought I was just getting a few colorful fish......
Old 07/22/2007, 08:54 PM
RC Mod

I know the feeling, but no degree in chemisty is required.

For dosing chemicals into a reef tank with stony corals, or where coralline algae is wanted, the basics are calcium and alkalinity. In some tanks, magnesium is needed as well. This article should help:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-04/rhf/index.php
Old 07/22/2007, 08:55 PM
Registered Member

LOL I had the same sentiment before. but you need not be a chemist to keep a reef. (though it would be a lot helpful to read and read more.. and understand, of course.)

Randy's articles are quite easy to understand, but always start with the basics before plunging into more advanced articles, so you won't get confused.

Less is more, more or less. :p
Old 07/22/2007, 09:17 PM
Older Than the Cretaceous

Don't fret poh we will take good care of you

An explosion can be defined as a loud noise, accompanied by the sudden going away of things, from a place where they use to be.
Old 07/23/2007, 01:28 PM
Registered Member

bertoni, thanks but that is one of the very articles I was whining about. I have it right in front of me, printed out, along with the one called "critical parameters".
yrema, they probably are easy to understand but I think I am chemically challenged!
boomer, thanks for the support. I feel so stupid about it now I can't even begin to know what to ask. I will keep reading and try to understand and just hope that my colt coral and lone mushroom will survive while I try to learn. I am sure it was my ignorance that killed my beloved bubble.
In the meantime I feel like they should make one of those pill keeper things they have for people so I could dish out all the "meds" once a week, its just so confusing.
Seriously, I have phytoplex @ 3 times/week, calc @ 2 times/week, stront&moly @ every 4 days, iodine @ 1 time/week and essential elements @ 1-2 times/week. And that doesn't even include the regular feeding, chem tests and alkalinity issues, etc.
Old 07/23/2007, 02:09 PM
Registered Member

Poh,

It sounds like you my be trying to do to much. I would not dose anything unless it is required. Are you sure you have to add these Supplements? If you do normal water changes (10% a week) with a good salt you should not have to dose much at all with soft corals.

I found the most important thing of all is water quility and stability

Is there a certien issue you are having a problem with?

Last edited by sditch; 07/23/2007 at 02:14 PM.
Old 07/23/2007, 02:45 PM
Mouth Pipetting

Trust me, the B.S. in Chemistry degree doesn't help too much The balance between calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium in saltwater isn't really covered in inorganic chemistry. You'll get the hang of it soon enough.

First off, you need to understand specific gravity and pH
Then the nitrogen cycle: ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate

And then you can learn the calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium stuff. . . anything else is just fluff!

Quit dosing the (Kent?) supplements for Calcium, Strontium/Molybdenum, and Iodine . . . and the Essential Elements. Never dose anything you're not testing for, and almost never follow the "directions" on a bottle of supplement.

You may be overdosing on the phyto too.
Old 07/23/2007, 03:51 PM

Ditto to Josh for these

First off, you need to understand specific gravity and pH
Then the nitrogen cycle: ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate

.......STOP......Strontium/Molybdenum, and Iodine . . . and the Essential Elements. Never dose anything you're not testing for, and almost never follow the "directions" on a bottle of supplement.

You will need calcuim and Alk sup the question is which ones are you using and what are you readings. ?

An explosion can be defined as a loud noise, accompanied by the sudden going away of things, from a place where they use to be.
Old 07/23/2007, 05:45 PM
Registered Member

First, as a very newbie, I agree... do not dose anything that you can not test for.
That being said, can a newbie or 99% of reefers really test "accurately" for the basics without high-end, lab quality, test equipment.

I have read so many threads talking about errors with almost every test, every manufacturer. I feel that I can not trust any specific test at any given time. I have had trouble or questionable results with calcium tests, alk tests, ph tests, nitrate tests, TDS meters and others. I have purchased standardized test fluids and have questions about those also.

Basically I use duct tape to keep my brain from exploding when I test my tank water.

winland
Old 07/23/2007, 06:31 PM
RC Mod

I would expect that a couple bottle of B-Ionic would be all that's useful for chemical supplementation at this point. I would not dose the other products that you mention. If you're interested in feeding phytoplankton, DT's seems to be a very good product to me, although it's expensive, and certainly optional.

Test kits can have problems, but they work properly the vast majority of times they're used, and are better than nothing, in my opinion.

Last edited by bertoni; 07/23/2007 at 06:36 PM.
Old 07/23/2007, 08:41 PM
Registered Member

All of my chemical concerns started with my sick Bubble. I starting getting more test kits and now test for pH, alk, phosphate, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, calc, magnesium, and the usual temp & spec. grav.
I'm overdue for testing again....UG....think I'll try the duct tape!

The last time I tested I could NOT nail down the color on the pH, even with several friends helping. It was maybe 8.2 but could have been 8.8, depending on the light.
The calc has been testing at 330 and hasn't come up even with a whole lot of dosing and using that calculator that is around somewhere to figure out how much to use. Alk was 2.25 and might be 3.5 now.
I actually haven't had the nerve to try the magnesium test kit yet.
I also just started with the Tropic Marine salt and HAD been using the dreaded I.O.
My concern now is finding out who Bubbs died and correcting that problem while getting the water chems straightened out. The colt coral is o.k., except for some dark spots and the green striped mushroom is looking a little puny.
J - If I can't follow the directions then what am I supposed to do instead??? And what's that stuff for if you're not supposed to use
it? I just started with the phytoplex.
Old 07/23/2007, 09:31 PM
Registered Member

dude i used to have all the same troubles your having now. I wasted so much money on test kits and snake oils it makes me sick! Finaly I just decided to throw all that junk in the garbage and relied solely on weekly water changes with Tropic Marin Pro and good RO water. Hav'nt looked back in 2 years
Old 07/23/2007, 09:37 PM
Mouth Pipetting

Quote:
Originally posted by pohtr
J - If I can't follow the directions then what am I supposed to do instead???
You should not follow any instructions along the lines of "Add one cap full every week" or "8 drops every day". If you're not testing for iodine (or any other analyte), then you don't know if its too low, just right, or too high. If you already have too much iodine (as an example), and you're adding 8 drops of supplement every day, what good is that doing? Once you've tested and discover that the iodine levels are too low, then you use a supplement to bring your levels up to your desired concentration. Most everything but calcium and alkalinity can be properly maintained through regular water changes.

Quote:
Originally posted by pohtr
And what's that stuff for if you're not supposed to use it?
Its made for the manufacturer to sell for a profit. I bought the Kent triple package of Calcium, Iodine, and Strontium/Molybdenum when I first started and used it according to the directions before I received better advice here in the Reef Chemistry forum. Save your money and save up to buy something more useful or cool (like corals) Reefkeeping is expensive enough without buying any unnecessary stuff. Enjoy!
Old 07/24/2007, 06:57 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Its made for the manufacturer to sell for a profit.
hahahaa nice one josh, and so true. many of us like to consider it "marketing hype" - sounds like the LFS sucked you into getting it too.

Stick to the basics. I assume your tank is cycled? If so, for regular testing, check Salinity, Alkalinity, Calcium, and Magnesium. Perform regular small water changes (eg: 10% weekly). Dont concentrate on getting an "exact" reading - in other words keep the levels within the required range rather than an exact number. Balance is the key. In time you will become a chemistry Jedi... fear leads to anger,... anger leads to hatred,... hate leads to suffering,... suffering leads to poor water parameters and dead fish
Old 07/24/2007, 07:59 PM
Registered Member

I just did the calc & alk tests and opened the new package for the magnesium test. I will need a case of duct tape to EVER be able to do that one.! TWELVE steps! (hmmm). I can't get past figuring out the parts. There are 8 parts plus the color card & "directions".
May I whine a little more?
It needs to come with a dictionary. I never heard of a reagent before. The PST (another new one) doesn't fit right on the small syringe. And how about "precipitate"? Like raining in a tube of liquid? I think it's at least a 3 person job!

Water changes are beginning to look a lot easier!
Old 07/24/2007, 08:09 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
I just did the calc & alk tests and opened the new package for the magnesium test. I will need a case of duct tape to EVER be able to do that one.! TWELVE steps! (hmmm). I can't get past figuring out the parts. There are 8 parts plus the color card & "directions".
Salifert is your friend

Quote:
It needs to come with a dictionary. I never heard of a reagent before. The PST (another new one) doesn't fit right on the small syringe. And how about "precipitate"? Like raining in a tube of liquid? I think it's at least a 3 person job!
Wiki knows all....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reagent

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Precipitation_(chemistry)

If wiki doesnt, google does

You can not expect to own a reef tank and learn nothing about it. Instructions are provided in steps so people can follow them... one at a time. Analyze and process, I'm sure you can do it

Last edited by chImerAnz; 07/24/2007 at 08:15 PM.
Old 07/24/2007, 08:28 PM
RC Mod

The Salifert Mg test has 3 steps and no color chart. I'd invest in a new kit, personally. Are you sure that's Mg?
Old 07/24/2007, 08:35 PM
Registered Member

It is a Red Sea Marine Aquariums Mg test. I'll look into the salifert. Believe me, I'm learning lots since I started this SWA, but I had no idea it was going to get THIS complicated.

Last edited by pohtr; 07/24/2007 at 08:45 PM.
Old 07/24/2007, 08:35 PM
Registered Member

I think I am sorry for mentioning the "duct tape" in my last post.

Maybe I have been watching too much "Red Green"

winland
Old 07/24/2007, 08:45 PM
RC Mod

I had a lot of problems with my Red Sea test kits. I've been told the liquid reagents are not as stable as the powders used in other test kits.
Old 07/24/2007, 09:07 PM

That is ture Jon for some but not all reagents. It depends on which reagent it is. On of the worst one is Nesslers and Rachel salt liquids used for some ammonia test kits. Another big issue for many is UV light.

Old 07/24/2007, 09:39 PM
RC Mod

Yes, I should be more specific.
Old 07/25/2007, 12:35 AM
Registered Member

poh,

Its good that you are wanting to provide a great place for your corals and other livestock to dwell in. I went thou the same thing as I'm sure most of us in this hobby has.

You will be fine, lossing your BTA may or may not have been related to your water quility or parms. (BTA do have to eat weekly as some may disagree with)

For the test kits they do help when trying to reslove certin issues, montor levels after a change or checkup on your water parms but soon you will so be able to just obsearve your tank and see if there is a problem. If you have alot of SPS then your Cal. and Alk. becomes something you may have to monitor more often.

One issue I can pretty much predict is your pH is probley more in the 7.7 -8.0 range as many test kits for pH are very misleading. When I first started this hobby my AP pH kit always said I was in the 8.2 range. When I got a Lab grade pH probe it was more like 7.8 Not sure if I'm color blind.......

I would sick to the Salifert test kits and use your current test kit as a backup to compare to once in awhile. Just for the recorod I also don't understand alot of the Ca-> N20 ->O3 &*$%& *$)#()#$& stuff either......Good Luck !!!!

Last edited by sditch; 07/25/2007 at 12:40 AM.
Old 07/25/2007, 01:02 AM
Team RC Member

I hope you're not color blind but my API pH kit matches my Pinpoint monitor to a tee. Hmmmm

In my opinion, API's kits are the next best thing to Saliferts. Except pH. API's is better.

pohtr, If you want to have a reef tank, you need to understand the proper water parameters to keep your tank at. It can get confusing at times but just keep reading and learning. You'll get the hang of it.