Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/15/2007, 09:27 PM
Premium Member

How often do you feed fish in your reef?

Ok. I was chatting with a pretty popular live good dealer. I'm looking at expanding my clean up crew as I'm have 1 helluva battle with hair alge.

She said I should only feed my fish every 3 days? I'm over feeding? What ya'll think of that?

For the hair alge issue it's basic....180g since 9/06
55g sump/fuge/cheato/ASMG-3/800gph
2 hydor + 1 500gph head
3x250w 14k 6 hrs on 2 4 hrs on 1 actinics 10hrs
mixed tank softies/stonies
2 tangs/blue throat trigger/2 clowns/firefish/6-line/mandarian/scooter blennin/diamond goby
50ish dwarf hermits/100's of ceriths/20ish asteria/nassarius couple serpent stars

Ro/DI water/ 1/4 cup phyto every other day/2 part
0 trAtes 0 Po3/4

Only feed every 3 days>? I can't believe that....I do have a decent pod population so I suppose ....
Old 06/15/2007, 09:38 PM
taaa daaa

I have a 175g bowfront that I feed 3 times a day and I try to keep the nori clip full all the time, I use anywhere from 1/2 a sheet to 2 sheets of nori everyday.
There is an achilles tang, a regal angel, a foxface, 2 orchid dottybacks, 4 glass cardinals, 2 mandarins, 1 bangaii cardinal and 5 green chromis

Its an sps dominant reef that has been set up since march 06
Old 06/15/2007, 10:03 PM
Registered Member

There is no doubt that tactic can help prevent a Hair Algae outbreak (if your fish can survive on those rations - depends on available food in the tank). However, once the hair algae has started, it's not going to go away by cutting back rations, although it might slow it down. The only cure I've found is a toothbrush, a bucket, and a lot of time, plus better tank maintenance afterwards.
Old 06/15/2007, 10:08 PM
Nothing to put here

I feed 2-4 times every day.
Old 06/15/2007, 10:12 PM
Carpe Noctem

2 days a week I feed once, 2 days I feed twice, 2 days a week I feed three times and one day I don't feed at all. There is always a mix between formula I, II, mysis, brine and nori, often mixed with garlic and/or selcon...
Old 06/15/2007, 10:16 PM
Registered Member

Usually twice a day. Sometimes once a day.
Old 06/15/2007, 10:29 PM
Registered Member

By the way, except for seahorses, I never feed more than once a day.
Old 06/15/2007, 10:36 PM
Unregistered Member

I feed once a day.

The name's Luis. Don't ask.
Old 06/15/2007, 10:44 PM
Premium Member

Good topic...I started feed very small amounts twice a day. The fish are new though, and still learning the layout of their new "sea".

Kris

"Yeah, and that's why you don't go swimming after you get bit by a shark"
Old 06/15/2007, 10:46 PM
Registered Member

sorry, newb question here but is it best to turn off the powerheads when you feed them?
Old 06/16/2007, 12:19 AM
I hate line 42!!!!!!!

I feed live brine and a nori sheet around 10:30am, and then frozen mysis/formula 1 and a nori sheet around 8:00pm. I leave my powerheads on. Its not about how much you feed, its how much can your filtration handle.
Old 06/16/2007, 12:33 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by engine
sorry, newb question here but is it best to turn off the powerheads when you feed them?
I dont turn off powerheads when I am feeding FISH. I do turn off overflow. When I am feeding corals I turn off everything other then lights. Because I do not want the powerheads to blow the food away from its target.(some corals such as my LPS) I spot feed when lights are off.
Old 06/16/2007, 02:46 AM
Registered Member

That "live goods dealer" should be starved for three days... You should feed your fish 3 times a day. Hair algae is caused by excess nutrients, usually phosphates. Even though your phosphates are testing at zero, they are present, they are just being used up by the hair algae faster than you can test for them. You probably need to bump up the frequency and amount of water changes you are doing. Also, I would consider getting a phosban reactor and running GFO.
Old 06/16/2007, 04:33 AM
Registered Member

I have 10 fish in my tank and I feed them on every 2 days, I feed my fish with very small fresh shrimp that I buy from market. I never feed my fish with formula food. So far the fish happy with that.
Old 06/16/2007, 05:35 AM
Registered Member

I work a 4 on 4 off schedule.

My fish get fed once a day on work days and twice a day on my days off.

Old 06/16/2007, 05:46 AM
Registered Member

I feed mine once a day, but in the wild reef, food is very hard to find. have gone 2 days not feeding them. man is that hard to do.
Old 06/16/2007, 06:35 AM
Registered Member

2-3 times per day for me.
Old 06/16/2007, 07:07 AM
Premium Member

Thanks for the input guys....i was feeding once, sometimes twice a day.

You think the phosphates present in the formula 2 pellet food is enough to feed all the alge? I only feed a few, like 12 of the small pellets, every other day.

the lable says .9% or .09% phosphates. should I just discontinue and stick with frozen ?
Old 06/16/2007, 07:19 AM
The Iron Knight

i usually feed 1 time a week except at the end of the month they get 2 times the last week because i add meaty foods

"Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience." - Debi
Old 06/16/2007, 07:32 AM
Premium Member

Once a day, but occasionally I will forget a day and not worry about it as there is food in the tank that the fish can graze on.
Old 06/16/2007, 07:55 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bgiles11
I dont turn off powerheads when I am feeding FISH. I do turn off overflow. When I am feeding corals I turn off everything other then lights. Because I do not want the powerheads to blow the food away from its target.(some corals such as my LPS) I spot feed when lights are off.
Hmm. I have to think about that. I turn off the ovrflow just for the fact that I dont want the food to get skimmed right back out. However I do leave the power heads on so the food doesnt settle in one spot. I may try turning them off tonight to see how the corals feed.
I usually taget feed, the cloud stays over the coral but slowly gets dispersed throughout the tank. I find that by doing it this way, in an hour there is no more food in the water. Then I turn on the overflow. It will be interesting to see how the coral will feed when it doesnt have to chase its food.
Old 06/16/2007, 09:22 AM
Premium Member

2x/day
Old 06/16/2007, 10:23 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Europa13
That "live goods dealer" should be starved for three days... You should feed your fish 3 times a day. Hair algae is caused by excess nutrients, usually phosphates. Even though your phosphates are testing at zero, they are present, they are just being used up by the hair algae faster than you can test for them. You probably need to bump up the frequency and amount of water changes you are doing. Also, I would consider getting a phosban reactor and running GFO.
I agree starve the algae not your fish, a reacto and gfo
Old 06/16/2007, 11:33 AM
Registered Member

I cut down when my tests go a little awry, but generally I feed my fish twice a day
Old 06/16/2007, 01:01 PM
Brighter the better

2xweek 4 1 yr now