Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Bay Area - Reefers (BAR)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/10/2007, 08:19 PM
Premium Member

Moving from the Bay Area to North Carolina, shipping fish?

So next month I'm moving from Fremont to North Carolina. I've sold most of my corals (still have a green brain and some zoos if anyone's interested), and I will be selling a few of my fish and my live rock soon. But two of my fish that I've had for almost four years (true perc and a large bagaii cardinal) are coming with me since my wife and I are so attached. I've found someone in NC that is going to keep them in a tank for me until I get established. That was the easy part.

Now the hard part, shipping them. I don't know the first thing about shipping fish, and I'm really worried about screwing it up. Is there anyone in the area that can give me some advice or help on shipping these fish? I know I need one of those cooler boxes that the LFS's get their fish in and some good bags. I also know I need some pure oxygen to ship them with, and that is going to be difficult to come by unless I want to go guy some big bottle at a welding place. And if I did that, I wouldn't be using much so I'd end up wasting most of it.
Old 05/10/2007, 08:22 PM
Registered Member

Look into some Kordon's breathing bags. That might help with shipping your fish.
Old 05/10/2007, 08:24 PM
Premium Member

I've read a lot about those, and there seems to be quite a debate about their use in shipping fish. I really would rather not take the risk, and just use the proven method of oxygenated bags.
Old 05/10/2007, 09:03 PM
Premium Member

You might want to ask your LFS if they would bag up the fish for transport for you, oxygenated and all. Ours used to help out on occassion, but you may need to offer up some cash. Then use a live fish shipping box (left over from LiveAquaria, MD Live, or wherever else) and overnight to your friend who was going to be taking care of your fish for you.

At least that is what I would recommend

Best of luck with it, and with your relocation
Old 05/10/2007, 10:10 PM
Premium Member

If you want, I can ship them FedEx for you. You just pay the cost of shipping and the for the bags. Here's the catch, someone needs to be there (NC) to recieve the fish and put them in a tank when they arrive next day.

But I can help if you want, we send out fish and corals weekly.

tyler
Dolphin Pet
Old 05/10/2007, 10:17 PM
Registered Member

Why not hand carry the livestock when you move to NC? Find someone in the bayarea to baby seat (seen some lfs that do that)your fishes; when you're ready to fly bag the fish and take it with you to personally deliver it to your friend in NC.
Old 05/10/2007, 10:18 PM
Premium Member

Tyler, that would be awesome! I have no problem paying for whatever is needed. The person I'm shipping them to should be able to receive them.

xinumaster, we're driving to NC.
Old 05/10/2007, 10:21 PM
Registered Member

I see.
Old 05/11/2007, 02:53 AM
Registered Member

I'd have someone help you if you have not doneit before.. Props to Tyler for offering to help... The boxes can be had an almost any LFS.. They can hardly give them away Double or triple bag them with oxygen.. Heat pack or no heatpack is up to you.. I'm not sure how big either of your fish are and how much you want to spend on shipping.. Delta dash is normally about 50 counter to counter.. You drop it off at the delta cargo counter at the airport and it rides the plane over and your friend can pick it up at the cargo desk in NC... I'm not sure which other carriers offer this service. I've always used delta...

Make sure you either tape the bags down in the box or fill it with some sort of filler so they aren't rolling around in the box..

The breather bags work well also.. I've shipped quite a bit of fry in them from here to new jersey and ohio.. I've never shipped larger fish in teh breathers..
Old 05/11/2007, 04:36 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fishnfst

The breather bags work well also.. I've shipped quite a bit of fry in them from here to new jersey and ohio.. I've never shipped larger fish in teh breathers..
I have and they out right suck for shipping anything with a hint of a spine.

I ship billions of rotifers in them, bout all their good for IMO.
Old 05/11/2007, 05:10 AM
Registered Member

I never thought about spines .. The guy that was taking all my fry would send me the bags.. I guess they were making it OK .. I hope .25" cichlid fry.... A couple of my friends ship quite a few shrimp in the breather bags as well.. They are kinda pokey I guess for lack of a better word...
Old 05/11/2007, 10:35 AM
Premium Member

You can ship Delta Dash, but you need an account with them. We dont have an account with them. But applying for an account takes a very long time, they check your background to make sure that your not a terrorist or arms dealer you get the point. I prefer FedEx because they fully insure the order. It may cost more but they get the job done usually faster than others. I doubt that heat packs will be needed, but triple bagged and them one bag around the whole lot. There are plenty of boxes here.

Just let me know when you want to do this.

thanks

tyler
Old 05/11/2007, 01:27 PM
Premium Member

tyler. Thanks, I'm probably looking at the week after next, or the week after that. I have to get a couple more things cleared from my tank before I can get these guys out. I'll let you know. Is it best to PM you on here?
Old 05/11/2007, 01:44 PM
Premium Member

yes
Old 05/21/2007, 01:16 PM
Premium Member

Tyler, pmed you.
Old 05/21/2007, 05:54 PM
Premium Member

got it. PMed back