Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Long Island Reef Association (LIRA)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/19/2007, 04:31 PM
DIY Reef Guy

Stopped in at Fishy, Hawaiian fish order.

I stopped in at Fishy, and Les got in about 14 boxes of Hawaiian fish. I felt like a kid in a candy store.

CaptiveReef
Old 02/19/2007, 06:59 PM
A. Millepora

for anyone who maybe looking..he was hoping to get in a Crosshatch and some nice Butterflies.....
Old 02/20/2007, 08:22 PM
Registered Member

happy to see Les back, sad Im so bussy with reality!
Old 02/20/2007, 09:52 PM
Premium Member

My wife went there today and picked up an Elephant ear, A really nice one I might add. it was her first visit to an LFS store alone, so she was a little nervous but after speaking to Les she felt comfortable She said he was nice and took the time to explain things to her and even asked about our sick Anenome

Now that she has a place she likes im REALLY in trouble LOL I need another job.
Old 02/20/2007, 09:58 PM
zoa ninja

what is your secret Bob. I introduced my gf to more than 4 LFS around my area and she still thinks reef keeping is stupid!
Old 02/20/2007, 10:52 PM
Premium Member

I always wanted a fish tank and she would have nothing to do with it. When I came home with my first salt water tank I decided to include her in the design of the rocks, placement ect... she really took to it.

When I added rock last time she did the entire thing herself and did a great job. She now feeds the tank and can do all of the testing herself.... She freaked me out today when she just lifted the Anenome in her hand and said hmmm he is still sticky I read that it is good when they are sticky LOL.

What I really like about the whole thing is my entire family is into it. Everything in this life passes by so fast it is very hard to find something the whole family likes. I talked to her today about the in wall tank I want to put in the living room right above the couch and she said hmm that might be fun
Old 02/20/2007, 11:11 PM
zoa ninja

hmmm. Let her have control over the only thing in my life she doesn't have control over. I don't knoww.... My last visit to a new LFS was to Aqua Hut and throughout the whole time, she kept nagging at me to buy the triggers and queen angels but she doesn't seem to understand the fact that my tank is only 24g big In the end, she just got tired of me saying "no" and made me spend some money at the clothing store right next door to it while I walked out of Aqua Hut empty handed. =\
Old 02/20/2007, 11:15 PM
This is not a test

bobbbm,

That very cool. My wife fights me on every penny that goes into the tank. She has some interest but can't be trusted to do any maintaining , or testing. Seems your wife has the reef bug. If shes reading up on anemone care you know it.

My kids are into the tank and they love helping me with every tedious chore. I hope when they get older they will still be into helping.

Good luck on the in wall set up.
Old 02/21/2007, 06:20 AM
RC Staff
American

Be sure to inform her (I don't know what she's been reading) that a sting from an Anemone can be very painful if you're not allergic, life threatening if you are.
There are a lot of things to know about some of the potentially dangerous critters many of us keep.
I'm not saying that you should talk her out of being interested, just that safety should be discussed, at least.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved

at the same level of thinking we were at when we

created them." Albert Einstein

I'm pretty sure it's Mike's fault.....
Old 02/21/2007, 06:55 AM
Premium Member

Ahhhh sorry she had a rubber glove on... she actually said look he IS sticky because he was sticking to the glove :P
Old 02/24/2007, 10:30 AM
Premium Member

I was there yesterday and picked up a really nice purple cap - It's what I've been looking for.

Now - lets keep the clobbering to a minimum. Les also had a very healthy looking MI, and I've always wanted to give the elusive idol a try. Les said it was eating pellets and mysids, but didn't take anything while I was there. Trusting Les I took the Idol home. I put it in quarantine and fed it mysids this morning. It ate without hesitation. - Thank you Les! I'm open to suggestions from anyone that has had some success with them and what foods they seem to like.

Ed
Old 02/24/2007, 11:01 AM
Registered Member

hi Ed, I was there the other day & was tempted to, they picked on the New Life Pellets, so do give them a try, it boosts the immune system. PaulB will be the best guy to get intouch with, think he has one of the longest living MI, he has the tank with the botlles & asphalt!
Old 02/24/2007, 11:28 AM
Premium Member

Dex,

I've been in touch with Paul and he's given me some good ideas to try. The key is to feed multiple times/day with a variety of foods. As strange as this may be he feeds his bananna and avacado. Wish me luck!

Ed
Old 02/24/2007, 02:07 PM
Registered Member

also try to give Bill a call (BILLSREEF) for a variety of food stuff. please keep me posted with your experience. sneding you PM
Old 02/24/2007, 02:53 PM
Premium Member

Ok I am dumb :P what is an MI?
Old 02/24/2007, 02:59 PM
Premium Member

MI = Moorish Idol
Old 02/24/2007, 05:16 PM
A. Millepora

I had the pleasure to see them in the wild when I was snorkling in Hawaii...I never seen one alone always in schools from 50-60 or 2-3 put never alone...so maybe that would help also.
Old 02/24/2007, 06:04 PM
Registered Member

pete has an awesome tank with 3 morish idols. hes had one of them for like 2+ years i think he said. i was at his house a few weeks ago and they ate like pigs, there really awesome fish.

his username is pebe, hes a real nice guy so i dont think hed mind if you PM him to find out how hes had so much success with them.
Old 02/24/2007, 07:24 PM
Premium Member

ED now I have another reason to stop by and see that great tank of yours again
Old 02/24/2007, 08:06 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MIKE NY
I had the pleasure to see them in the wild when I was snorkling in Hawaii...I never seen one alone always in schools from 50-60 or 2-3 put never alone...so maybe that would help also.
Mike - We're booking a trip to Hawaii this year so I'm hoping to get up close and personal to these guys.
Old 02/24/2007, 08:09 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bobbbm
ED now I have another reason to stop by and see that great tank of yours again
Bob,

You're always welcome to stop by - Right now he's in quarantine and will be there for quite a while, but the tank its self is doing great.

Ed
Old 02/24/2007, 10:22 PM
Registered Member

Ed, would I be able to see your tank in person too?
Old 02/25/2007, 07:17 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DEXTER SOLIS
Ed, would I be able to see your tank in person too?
Sure - Just let me know when.
Old 02/25/2007, 02:50 PM
A. Millepora

Quote:
Originally posted by LIReefer
Mike - We're booking a trip to Hawaii this year so I'm hoping to get up close and personal to these guys.
you'll have a great time...lotsa tropicals out there....yellow tangs Huma triggers etc.....just don't swim with the turtles (they are on the menu for Tiger sharks)....one scared the hell out of me when it came up from under me and rubbed my leg in open water...the turtle that is...LOL.