Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/03/2007, 12:34 AM
Registered Member

Jawfish

Hi, what jawfish eat? I had one a while ago that ate pretty much everything, died due to an ich outbreaks last year.

I added a new jaw about 5 weeks ago, the first 3 I did not see it at all and I thougt for sure it was gone but then showed up in front the aquarium making it's burrow. When I feed the tank it doesn't seem interested, I feed mysis, brine, squid, srimp, selcom, formula 1, 2, flake, nor, all blended, but the jawfish doesn't seem to eat anything, what else could it be eating?
I don't see it loosing weight and works in it's burrow all day long.
Old 02/03/2007, 09:25 AM
Registered Member

bump
Old 02/03/2007, 10:06 AM
Registered Member

What type is it?
Was it eating in the quarantine tank prior to adding it?

Do you have a lot of big fish scaring it?

Can you use a baster or something to shoot the food right down to it. It should accept mysis, very small chopped clam and shrimp.
Sometimes when their busy building their home they're not interested in food..but usually after they settle in they turn into real little pigs.

If he is settled in nice and no fish are scaring him (quiet tank) and your offering him these choices...then I don't know?
good luck
Old 02/03/2007, 10:50 AM
Registered Member

It's a yellow head, it was eating fine in QT, the fish was at the LFS for at least 2 months eating brine and big burrows.

Stock:
3 yellows tail damsels
cowfish,
saifing tang,
yellow watchman goby,
jawfish,
tail spot blennie,
purple pseudocromis,
starry blennie,
2 clowns,
1 black clown,
and sand perch goby

I don't see any agression at it.

I tried to shoot food at it but just looks at it and gets back to work. It might be eating something.
Old 02/03/2007, 10:57 AM
Registered Member

hmmm..weird, well you can only worry so much, maybe he's getting a few bites in and your just not seeing him?
keep me posted