Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/16/2007, 05:44 PM
Moved On

Unhappy Carpet out the door ?

Nitrates were reading at 10... he looked fine BEFORE the 15 gallon water change, BUT did not accept food this morning... salt is a little low after water change 1.022... Ph 8.0... theory's?

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Old 01/16/2007, 05:46 PM
Registered Member

What kind of skimmer do you have?
Old 01/16/2007, 05:49 PM
Moved On

HOB REDSEA Prizm... skim cup is 1/2 full... seems to be doing its job.
i am SLOWLY raising salt with water from my FUGE that has been mixing but not connected to tank... salt there is @1.024
Old 01/16/2007, 05:52 PM
Moved On

Old 01/16/2007, 05:54 PM
Registered Member

SG has nothing to do with it. Yours is fine.

I kept mine healthy in SG ranging from 1.20-1.25 with no probs.

What exactly is that HOB prizm collecting for you. Mine didnt do anything on my 60g tank?

EDIT:Skimmate is to water like...shouldnt see through it.

Old 01/16/2007, 05:56 PM
Moved On

smells bad... doubt its just DT's
any way to check?
Old 01/16/2007, 05:58 PM
Moved On

so whatcha think sam... am i losing him?
Old 01/16/2007, 06:01 PM
Registered Member

For a 100g+tank thats to little.

If you decide to keep that skimmer, perform larger and more frequent water changes.

S.Hadonni can tolerate, low to extreme light, slow current to vigourus current, sudden temp and SG change but will not tolerate dirty water.
Old 01/16/2007, 06:02 PM
Registered Member

From what I've read only about 1% of carpet anemones make it due to the methods employed in the collection and shipping process. Also if your water quality isn't near perfect that too can negatively impact it's chances of survival. How many gallons is your tank?

Last edited by skairik; 01/16/2007 at 06:13 PM.
Old 01/16/2007, 06:05 PM
Registered Member

I think so man kinda looks like a basketball net is coming out of him. If you can easily remove him do so know. Put him in your fuge or another large container with same tank water. I had a small green hadoni fall apart on me as I was taking him out of tank. When they fall apart(die) they literally fall apart and you will have pieces floating everywhere.

Just give him more time see what happens, maybe somethin in your tank made him react this way? What fish, inverts do you have in there?
Old 01/16/2007, 06:08 PM
Moved On

icic... ok... well i WAS looking into a mini skimmer for my sump but i was rudely not given the chance to buy it even though i showed interest FIRST... OF-Well i guess... i will be doing another water change tonight... im sure that removing the filter sock spread more stuff (nitrate) throughout the tank... he is most likely reacting to that... i should have removed the sock THEN did the water change... i may have to remove more water then i think tonight... i will check levels and post progress (positive or negative) as i go along...
Old 01/16/2007, 06:11 PM
Registered Member

Are you using a Prizm skimmer on a 100g tank???
My son has one on his 10g and its a piece of Junk. His doesnt have the surface skimmer adaptor.
I think you need a bigger skimmer.
Old 01/16/2007, 06:12 PM
Registered Member

always remove sponges, fibers, filter socks, etc and clean those before a water change.

good luck bro, i hope he pulls through. I wouldnt do anything now. Just let the last of the debree get into the sock, and let the skimmer work some to help out. Water changes right now will have it using its energy to readjust to the new water coming in.
Old 01/16/2007, 06:14 PM
Registered Member

P.S. skim wet for now as well.
Old 01/16/2007, 06:17 PM
Registered Member

Yeah, what chalowolf is saying is right on target. Unfortunately a Prizm skimmer for a 100 gallon reef just can't do the job it's meant to do. Definitely a primary factor in your troubles.
Old 01/16/2007, 06:18 PM
Moved On

he is still sticky as hell...moved him to fuge... just checked water in tank... Nitrates are better since the water change...
---------fish-------------
sailfin
yellow tang
blue tang
2 zebra bar gobies
powder blue tang
bird wrasse
2 percs

--------Inverts------
serpent star
GBTA
Condi anemone
cleaner shrimp
basic cleanup crew
Tux urchin
spiney urchin

im sure thats about it.
Old 01/16/2007, 06:22 PM
Registered Member

The carpet is no match for the urchins believe it or not. Maybe he ate one, are they still in there?

EDIT: Also that Condy anemone. They are from the Atlantic, and I consider them a pest anemone that cant die for caca!!!! How far apart are these.
Old 01/16/2007, 06:24 PM
Algae Grower

I think that you may have added too much in a short amount of time. I am not criticizing, but I have noticed in the last week or two you have posted quite a bit and have picked quite a few things:

Carpet
2 Bird Wrasses
Couple of percs? (did you have these before?)

Combined with a crappy skimmer - maybe the tank hasn't had a chance to balance itself out yet.

I have had a blue carpet for about 1.5 years now and I can testify that he has been through hell and back with 4 tank moves, near tank crash from a dead medusa worm incident, temp getting down to once 65 degrees and a few times up to 87. It could just be that he never ahd a chance from the get go, but from the your original pictures in the other thread I would have bet on him making it - looked healthy.

It could just be that he is throwing a fit - I have seen my carpet do some wierd things on occasion.

Anyway, good luck - wish I could throw him in my tank for to see if it would make a difference.
Old 01/16/2007, 06:26 PM
Moved On

wet skiming now...
i have the POS surface skim thing...
Old 01/16/2007, 06:28 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by My F1sh R D34D!
The carpet is no match for the urchins believe it or not. Maybe he ate one, are they still in there?

EDIT: Also that Condy anemone. They are from the Atlantic, and I consider them a pest anemone that cant die for caca!!!! How far apart are these.
all the way across the tank... i wanted to get rid of it for a long time now...
Old 01/16/2007, 06:28 PM
Registered Member

What about the urchins they still in there?
Old 01/16/2007, 06:31 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by Super NooB
I think that you may have added too much in a short amount of time. I am not criticizing, but I have noticed in the last week or two you have posted quite a bit and have picked quite a few things:

Carpet
2 Bird Wrasses
Couple of percs? (did you have these before?)

Combined with a crappy skimmer - maybe the tank hasn't had a chance to balance itself out yet.

I have had a blue carpet for about 1.5 years now and I can testify that he has been through hell and back with 4 tank moves, near tank crash from a dead medusa worm incident, temp getting down to once 65 degrees and a few times up to 87. It could just be that he never ahd a chance from the get go, but from the your original pictures in the other thread I would have bet on him making it - looked healthy.

It could just be that he is throwing a fit - I have seen my carpet do some wierd things on occasion.

Anyway, good luck - wish I could throw him in my tank for to see if it would make a difference.
i have already had clowns... they were just Maroons... that got moved to the Nano when i got the percs in... but i dont doubt you.. i prolly have stocked rather fast... but i prolly just think he might have been throwing a fit like you say... BEFORE i paniced and moved him to the refug he was already starting to look better... now that he is in the fuge, he almost looks completely normal again... i will continue to wet skim for a few hours and when my girl gets back, i will go do another water change before i move him back into the display... but i bet a new skimmer would make a world of a difference anyways... sux being undermined on RC when you are trying to get something :raisingspecificfinger:
Old 01/16/2007, 06:32 PM
Registered Member

Super NooB: I also had an "incident" with a medusa worm. I woke up one morning to find my Naso tang, Yellow tang, Powder Blue tang and Purple tang all floating dead. You can imagine the look on my face. I also have a zebra medusa worm but he's in my sump now. Anybody want a free Zebra Medusa worm? I'll also throw in a free Long Spine urchin, too. This is the Medusa that killed my 4 of my tangs:

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...k/DSCN1218.jpg

phishx: sorry, I'm not trying to jack your thread.
Old 01/16/2007, 06:35 PM
Moved On

damn... cool worm
sorry to hear what happened though... i wudda took that suckah and went fishing!
Old 01/16/2007, 06:36 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by phishx
:raisingspecificfinger:
Thumbs up Gee...