Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Marine Aquarists Roundtable of Sacramento (MARS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/02/2006, 06:49 PM
Premium Member

SPS Ca/Alk Supplementation options

Ok I new this day would come and have been dreading it!!!!

I am using about 90mls of B-ionic a day and increasing. Currently I am dropping about .6dkh over a 24hr period. I want it to be static

Since my last coral spending spree and a lighting upgrade my SPS is really starting to suck it up......(That Tubs birdsnest is one of the brightest and fastest growing corals I have ever had)

I am at a junction in my supplementation and will have to upgrade to another system shortly.

I am considering using a drip system, and building a DIY supplemtation using the KENT drip doser, ($11 bucks per line and drip controller), mixing my own two part using Randy's formula and dripping it constantly to keep the numbers up, rather than up and down.....

Or bitting the bullet and going to the CA reactor.

So, since I never used one what exactly would I need, is there a really reliable cheaper one I can use rather than shelling out the big bucks?

Would I would need a kalk drip for alk supplementation? Is there another option and is CO2 a required feature?

I have read most of the articles on it and from my experiece seems that people have problems holding ph and constant alk....is this true?

Can people recommend any brands......a detailed shopping list of your favorite componets, and why you like them please.

And lastly..........anyone got an extra set up?-Thanks

My goal is to get my levels constant and reliable.........Suggestions?

Last edited by dots; 09/02/2006 at 07:13 PM.
Old 09/02/2006, 07:37 PM
who?

Drip dosing is OK depending on your setup. Randy's 2-part works great and is way less expensive than B-Ionic. You can mix it up a gallon at a time (or more) and use it as needed. You should be able to keep up with any demands your tank presents because in theory you could drip in 100% 2-part, but of course you'll never need to do that unless you have some monster sps/clam tank Most of the time it will be diluted in your top off water.

If you try it out and like it you may want to take the leap to using a 2-channel peristaltic pump for dosing. This works great and you can easily control the drip rate. IMO this is just as good if not better than a ca reactor mainly due to how simple the system is. Initial cost of a good dosing pump will be about equal to a reactor seup (yes they are expensive - Cole Parmer for example). The operating costs are probably similar, favoring the dosing pump (less energy consumption, no CO2 required).

With a ca reactor you will want to at least monitor ph if not control your reactor based on ph. It will tend to lower your tank ph, which is why dosing kalkwasser in conjunction is not a bad idea (here again you need a way to does the kalk). You should be able to maintain alk fairly well if you dial it in based on your alk and let your calcium land where it will.

Either way you should be able to maintain your levels; IMO reactors take more tinkering but I'm biased I suppose

Visit our club: NVReefers dot org
Click my red house to visit my blog
Old 09/02/2006, 07:48 PM
Premium Member

I am glad you responded, I was looking for somebody who is a little partial to two part rather than a reactor. Yeah I was thinking of the aquamedic doser to administer it. I hadn't quite made up my mind on the two part or reactor route yet.
I forgot to ask about cost of maintaining the system, if it was pennies versus dollars in using a reactor to two part I might think twice. I too am partial to the simplicity of the two part automation. It seems the reactors add just that many more parts to the equation which in my mind is a more complicated system increasing the odds for failure.

Since I have been using two part I am quite comfortable with it and had thought of using the doser(girlfriends mom is a hospice nurse and was hoping I could find one that route), but didn't want to buy a doser and then realize I need a reactor and waste time and money because you are correct, the one I was looking at (Aquamedic) is about $200......did that with lights three times and don't want to go down that road again.....

Does anyone know if the Aquamedics are controllable....I was thinking of getting a controller eventually....
Old 09/02/2006, 08:03 PM
who?

If you buy a dosing pump get a good one because ideally it will run 24/7/365. This is the pump I run, got lucky and found a used one. The best thing to do is look for feedback on the various pumps out there. I don't think people are jumping on the dosing pump band wagon because it's just not popular - but it is a viable solution.

I see you edited your post, so let me respond again ...

I don't have an operating cost comparison of reactor vs dosing pump. Maybe you can do one and post it on this thread for others to consider, here are a few of my thoughts:

Energy Consumption: CaRx needs a recirc pump plus a feed water source. Dosing pump draws very little current.

Media Replacement: I would think that home made 2 part is cheaper than reactor media, but maybe not. Depends how much of each you go thru.

CO2: Cost of refill/exchange (don't forget time and gas money) vs. nothing for dosing pump

Parts replacement: Occasional tube replacement for dosing pump vs. nothing I can think of for CaRx.

p.s. you shouldn't need a controller for a dosing pump. Mine allows me to control the pumping volume and it always runs. I set this to approximate my evaporation and let it go. Needs to be changed about once or twice a year as the weather changes. I *think* the aquamedic works by pumping in timed intervals (not variable speed). Either way you should be able to dial it to the rate you want.

Last edited by mothra; 09/02/2006 at 08:15 PM.
Old 09/02/2006, 08:06 PM
Premium Member

Yeah, that one is a little more pricey than the aquamedic....looks medical grade

A kalk, Ca reactors,regulator, pumps, bottle....will probably run the same or more in the end.....
Old 09/02/2006, 08:15 PM
who?

It's lab grade - stay away from the medical ones they can present some headaches.

Old 09/04/2006, 12:55 AM
Registered Member

Let me say i'm not an expert or really know much about this. but looking at it.

It sure seems that a Reactor would be the way to go. Especially for stability and also cost in the long run. i would think a little more up front will save alot in the end.

plus i see some nice ones in buy and sell for a pretty good price
Old 09/04/2006, 02:22 PM
Premium Member

I think I am going to go the different route and make my own 2-part with a drip system first then a doser later.
Old 09/04/2006, 02:49 PM
Registered Member

You know I've been thinking about getting a doseing pump also...I'm kind of in the same boat...adding about 90mL of both parts every day...and since I've got such a small system I'm trying to spread it out three times a day so that the system is more stabel...and it's killing me..I can't do anything because I've always have to be doing something to the tank. I would love to get a reactor, but $$ and no place to connect it are both issues. I think I may nose around the old instrument graveyard at work and see if I can come up with anything. But I think I'm going to try and run 4 lines. One for Ca, one for Alk, one to pull out tank water and one to add fresh water back.
Old 09/04/2006, 07:27 PM
Registered Member

I used to run a reactor, but due to technical dificulties stopped. I've been dosing Randy's 2-part for 6 months and it's dirt cheap compared to other comercial brands. Less investment that a reactor, and would probly take 3 or 4 years to notice a break even based on consumption and regular testing compared to a Ca reactor on the average 50 gallon tank.

(BTW, I have all the CO2 system and pH controller, but just need to build the reaction chamber. Purely laziness as long I don't go on an extended vacation.)
Old 09/04/2006, 08:18 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for the input, like I said didn't think that it was that popular of a method and based on what you guys have said is the "cheaper" alternative.

Currently I am using the B-ionic and want to start using the Randy's. Are you able to keep a consitancy with that formula and don't have to recalibrate your doseage based on batches that are not equivalent? I havn't done much research on it or what ingredents are needed. But I am confident that since you guys have had success with it a seem to promote it is a viable alternative afterall.

As I said earlier I am going to use the 1-gal B-ionics I have and use the kent drip dosing system for a while, switch to the Randy's and give that a whirl.....and then decide on a dosage system. Taking into consideration what Mothra said, I will look into the lab grade ones, but am seriously considering the Aquamedic 2-channel doser unless I find that its a total piece of junk.
Old 09/04/2006, 09:46 PM
Registered Member

Currently I find that I make it pretty consitent. I use 1/2 of the dry Ca part per littler, and 1/2 of baked baking soda per littler (heat the watter first to dissolve faster with less that will not dissolve). With the alk part I find it better to dillute it into my topoff water and add it slowly. I keep a log book to track my dosing and levels. With Yourreef's prices on test kits and if you cut the alk test to the low res version you can make them last a long time even testing daily. Once I get thing locked in I'll switch to testing every other day then maybe once a week.
Old 09/05/2006, 11:12 AM
who?

I don't test the consistency of my batches, I just make it the same each time. I do usually test my parameters bi weekly and log them.

The only ingredients you need are baking soda (Arm & Hammer) and Calcium Chloride (Dow Flake www.buckeyefieldsupply.com). You can use Epsom salt as well if you need to supplement your magnesium.