Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/06/2007, 12:48 PM
Registered Member

question for someone who has had ich

......well, at least who has had fish that have broken out with ich!
Once the cysts on the fish have grown in size to become visible, how long will they stay before disappearing. I know the stage of the cycle where the fish is hosting ich lasts between 3-7 days, but I can't find any information on how long they remain visible. I currently have a flame angel that has been quarantined since purchased for about a week now. I saw some spots on him last night but they seem to have decreased in numbers by this morning. I'm not sure if what I see is ich or just loose debris attached to him- I did a partial water change last night and that stirred the QT a bit.
Old 02/06/2007, 12:53 PM
:::===( @ | }

It actually depends on the temp of the water, the higher the temp, the faster there life cycle is. But Id guess around 3-4 days, some of the spots on them are new and some are old, you have to wait for all of them to go through there cycle, but up the temp a bit and cut the time some. (not too much though, slowly a couple of degrees)
Old 02/06/2007, 12:59 PM
Registered Member

It seems as though the spots, literally he was covered from lips to tail, just all of a sudden appeared last night. By this morning a good percentage were gone. Does this sound like ich? I'm thinking that in pouring in the new water last night I disturbed the bottom and possibly just covered him with some debris. My QT is bare bottom and I siphon it with each water change, but it always seems to have some "stuff" settled at the bottom. I'm thinking that if I get home tonight and the spots are gone then it was probably not ich, is this a safe assumption? I don't want to stress him out by doing a treatment that is not necessary.
Old 02/06/2007, 02:11 PM
Registered Member

My fish had ich a few months back and I was told to try Garlic Xtreme by kent because I needed to treat everyone and I didn't have a quarentine tank (I know, I know) and my inverts would not like the ich medicine. This worked like a charm. I lost a few before using it, but when I started using it, there were no more loses and everyone got better. I've been using it with each feeding since. I guess garlic is good for them too.
Old 02/06/2007, 02:21 PM
Registered Member

or get some rid ich its also inver safe i used it once it works great. but know i just buy the garlic stuff and never had it since .

toasty23