Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/28/2005, 03:56 PM
Moved On

do euro-reef and asm skimmers run hot?

i just got a g4x and it came with a sendra 9000. after hooking it up to my 200 gallon tank i noticed it made the water temp go up about 5*. i have a grotech with 2 1250 eheims and asm g2 with a sendra 3500 in this tank and it never ran that hot. has anyone had or have noticed this?
Old 09/28/2005, 04:30 PM
Registered Member

I have several ER's (8-3,6-3,6-2+,5-3) on my current tanks and have had ASM skimmers in the past.

I have never noticed a 5 degree F increase (or any dramatic increase for that matter) in temperature as a result of the addition of a skimmer pump alone.

Although I have never had a single skimmer with a pump as large as a Sedra 9000, my 270 gallon tank does have two ER skimmers, each with a Sedra 5000. I suspect there is another reason for the dramatic increase in tank temperature you are experiencing, especially considering that your total system water volume is fairly large and should therefore be less prone to dramatic temperature changes.

Are you sure it is only the change (i.e. lengthening of photoperiod, leave you stand doors closed, leave your home a.c. thermostat at a higher setting while you are at work, etc) you have made to your system before you noticed the temperature increase?
Old 09/28/2005, 05:12 PM
Moved On

yep thats it. i was borrowing a h&s skimmer from a friend. when my asm came in. i gave him back his skimmer and replaced it with the asm. nothing else was changed. i piped the overflow in the asm.
Old 09/28/2005, 05:45 PM
Registered Member

Hmmm. Strange. I tried to google heat output specs for Sedras but didn't find anything. I seriously doubt you would see a 5 degree F temperature increase going from a sedra 3500 to a 9000 in a system your size all other factors remaining equal. Have you touched the pump while it is running in your sump? Is it noticebly hot to the touch? Maybe you have a defective pump or one that is short circuiting/burning up? Are you absolutely sure that no other factors have changed?

Not sure. I've never had that problem. Sorry I can't be more of a help.

G-
Old 09/28/2005, 06:31 PM
Registered Member

No way at all it should have raised the tank 5 degrees. Either something is seriously wrong with the pump, the thermometer is wrong, or something else changed.
Old 09/28/2005, 07:14 PM
Moved On

no i never touched the pump. i have a digital won bro heater. thats how i know the temp. i'll touch the pump tonight and let you guys know if its hot or not. thanks fellas....
Old 09/28/2005, 07:38 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by willieboy240
no i never touched the pump. i have a digital won bro heater. thats how i know the temp. i'll touch the pump tonight and let you guys know if its hot or not. thanks fellas....
DO NOT TRUST WON BROS HEATER!!! I have a 250 with digital display and it's no where near the correct temerature! says temp is 85.9 degrees and temp is actually 80 degrees. I'm in the market for a new heater set up for both my tanks.

I have the same skimmer G4 with sedra9000 no problems associated with heat at all!
Old 09/29/2005, 08:04 PM
Moved On

thanks for all the input. it was the heater reading wrong.... now it makes me think " so how cold was my tank for the past 2 years" oh dang.