Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/15/2007, 03:37 PM
Delaware Reef Club & DVRC

Lighting for zoos

I am looking to set up a tank for my angler fish and want to keep some zoos in with it and possibly some pulsing xenia and other easier corals. A friend of mine from my local reef club is offering me a used 36" PC 2x65w All Glass Co. light fixture for about $52. Would this light work? I have other tanks I will be getting more intensive light for so no worries about me wanting to upgrade. Just would like to grow some stuff out in with the Angler and give it a colorfull tank.

Jon
Old 03/15/2007, 03:43 PM
Zoanthid collector

I would not use PCs. They have a hard time keeping zoas colorful unless changed OFTEN. Go with 2 small T5s
Old 03/15/2007, 04:41 PM

I was just told by someone else that a single 36" 96w 50/50 would work fine... Anyone else have input?

I think I may be getting some T5s in a couple months, perhaps at that point I will put a single T5 bulb on top of this tank in addition.

Jon
Old 03/15/2007, 04:49 PM
El Jefe de WRS

Yeah... zoas grow like weeds under T5s (better than halides even). A 2x39wattT5 setup, one blue+ and one sun bulb would be my pick. check out retrofits by Sunlight Supply @ reefgeek. Those two 39 watt bulbs will put out just as much if not more light as that 2x65watt PC, thanks to their much better reflectors. They will also last a good 2 years. PC bulbs are lucky to last 9 months... those ones you are getting... they are old I imagine? That means you are really paying $90-100 for the unit after you get new bulbs.

http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5_...unlight_Supply

includes bulbs. int he long run, it will cost much less to run. A quick calculation of fixture cost, bulb life, electrical cost (at $.10 per kwh), and bulb cost tells me that T5s will pay for themselves (being an extra $50-80) in the first year to year and a half compared to PC. They will cost about $2 less a month to run, and bulbs for PCs will run you much more than T5s, and more frequent. After 18-24 months, the actual operation cost of the 2x65wattPC fixture will be $26 more than the T5s, and the T5s will produce more light (T5 make about 2-3x as much light per watt as PCs).

The other advantage is that over time, you will be able to simply add on two more bulbs (retro-style) if you want.
Old 03/15/2007, 05:11 PM

hahnmeister... Your pushing me in and I'm about to take the plunge. I've been putting off buying nice lights for a while, but I think your right. In the long run it will be just cheaper for me to get the T5s and be done with it.

Thanks everyone for your input.
Jon
Old 03/15/2007, 09:27 PM
Registered Member

let me know if you want to build a T-5 hood or light strip. I have made some. perhaps i can build one for you. just supply the electronics. I have used fulham ballasts for mine. what would you use? figure on $15 per lamp for endcaps/mounts and $15- $20 per lamp for reflector. and at least $20 per lamp for ballast power. power cords, switches, lumber, screws, glue, finish, extras. plus the lamps...

what size are you looking for?