Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/09/2006, 08:47 PM
Registered Member

Deltec or H&S that is de question....

hello,

I want buy one skimmer for my 240g, I'm looking two skimmers Deltec AP851 and H&S A200-2xF2001 external.

The AP851 is a skimmer up to 270g and the H&S resists up to 325g. What is the best?

I'm looking a H&S A200-3xF2001 to 500g, this is a other option. What is your opinion?

Thanks
Old 08/09/2006, 08:56 PM
Grand High Puba

Have you considered the Euro-reef RC500 External? It's virtually the same price (at least in Canada).

Just a thought. The A200 looks bas *** though. Tough choice.
Old 08/09/2006, 09:45 PM
Premium Member

A Deltec or H&S don't make any diffrence just get one with the Eheim pump.
I use a Deltec 851 with one Eheim on my 90G tank and 902 with two Eheims on my 200G tank, i use the 851 on my 200 and was doing a very good Job cleaning the tank . but i needed a new skimmer for my 90G tank so i just got the 902 to see if i can do any better ,so far it is a difference i get more skimmate with the bigger skimmer but i'm loaded with large fish and corals.
Old 08/09/2006, 09:47 PM
Voice of Reason

I love my H&S (A150-F2001). Personally, I like the build quality of H&S over Deltec. Efficiency wise, the 2 AquaBees are probably more efficient than the single Ehiem (as the ratings indicate). If you had a little more to spend you could get an A200-2x1260 and be set for life...

See the H&S skimmer thread below - plenty of knowledgeable users to answer any of your questions:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=561761
Old 08/09/2006, 09:59 PM
Hola

[welcome]

Bienvenido Chucho!
Old 08/09/2006, 10:03 PM
Registered Member

I say H&S......Construction is beefy.Setup is simple .Quality is top notch .

Skimate is nasty

This is an A200-1260
Old 08/09/2006, 10:05 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by javajaws
I love my H&S (A150-F2001). Personally, I like the build quality of H&S over Deltec. Efficiency wise, the 2 AquaBees are probably more efficient than the single Ehiem (as the ratings indicate). If you had a little more to spend you could get an A200-2x1260 and be set for life...

See the H&S skimmer thread below - plenty of knowledgeable users to answer any of your questions:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=561761

My 851 only draws 43W of electricity.
The aquabee 2000 on my reactor draws 21W.
So it is no diffrece in electrical efficiency only 1 watts with a meter.
Did you ever use a Deltec skimmer ?
I saw no diffrece on the way they are build can you tell me why is the H&S skimmer better build than a Deltec.
The only thing i don't like about some of the H&S skimmers is all of the bubbles is on the top half of the skimmer . But they are build just as good as Deltec .
By the way the A200-2x 1260 is no longer available , special order only.
Oh!!! here is a picture of the 851 cup two days after i clean it.
Old 08/09/2006, 10:10 PM
Registered Member

hi,

yes, I considered the E-R RC500 but I'm from Mexico, and here is more expensive, in mexico the RC500 costs $1675dlls and the H&S external to 500g costs $1475dlls, and the AP702 from Deltec costs $1780dlls.
Old 08/09/2006, 10:10 PM
Registered Member

Well,
Looked at those skimmers for my 300. Decided to go H&S. Seemed like better build quality and better bang for the buck. They both have loyal users. Found a used a200 x 3 f2001 used, so that made it an easier choice. The a250 x 2 1260 was introduced this year with a bigger reaction chamber to handle the 1260's better. Seemed like it had to be tuned down a little for the a200's. It went from 8" to 10" or 10.5". Should have mine next week, will let you know.
Old 08/09/2006, 10:16 PM
Registered Member

H&S uses 1/4 cast acrylic , their skimmers are enforced with those nice thick rings and the stiffners at the bottom .
http://finsreef.com/product.php?prod...cat=254&page=1

The deltec ap851 use pvc in the construction and the tube thickness is small . Plus there are no addtional supports to help stifent the skimmer
http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/s...t_ID=DD-PS0851

Also when compared the H&S is cheaper in price.

JMO
Old 08/09/2006, 10:19 PM
Registered Member

I am also not saying the H&S out skims the Deltec or vise versa. For me its all about the build.
Old 08/09/2006, 10:34 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by REEFGREENER
Well,
Looked at those skimmers for my 300. Decided to go H&S. Seemed like better build quality and better bang for the buck. They both have loyal users. Found a used a200 x 3 f2001 used, so that made it an easier choice. The a250 x 2 1260 was introduced this year with a bigger reaction chamber to handle the 1260's better. Seemed like it had to be tuned down a little for the a200's. It went from 8" to 10" or 10.5". Should have mine next week, will let you know.
I question them about that two years a go i asked how a same skimmer as a the 851 Deltec can handle two 1260 Eheims when my with one 1260 pump run perfect and the answer was the way the skimmer neck was designed it will handle the two 1260 but as you see i was correct .
I think the new A250 will be a good skimmer.

clkwrk
Deltec and H&s use Extrude acrylic and PVC for there skimmers I use my 851 for two years now and with out the (those nice thick rings) it still did not break the pump off even after the wife running in to the pump repeatedly every week with the vacuum cleaner i now have barracked the skimmer some what.
Old 08/09/2006, 10:39 PM
Always Learning

H&S are much better quality than Deltec. They skim the same, but H&S is cheaper and better construction. Go to sites in europe and you will see that Deltec is cheaper than H&S.

Pround owner of H&S 200-1260.

Patience is the best remedy for every trouble.
Titus Maccius Plautus (254 BC - 184 BC), Rudens
Old 08/09/2006, 10:47 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TurboSnail8898
H&S are much better quality than Deltec. They skim the same, but H&S is cheaper and better construction. Go to sites in europe and you will see that Deltec is cheaper than H&S.

Pround owner of H&S 200-1260.
I'm from Europe and i saw all of the skimmers. I saw no difference in the two ,yes the Deltecs are cheaper in Europe and yes we here pay more for them . Mercedes cars are cheaper in Europe also but we just like to pay top dollar for everything here in USA
Old 08/09/2006, 10:51 PM
Got Nog?

I love my Deltec AP600

Old 08/09/2006, 10:55 PM
Premium Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DeltecRules
[B]I love my Deltec AP600
QUOTE]

Looks outstanding Scott and the whole skimmer is full of Bubbles
Old 08/09/2006, 11:05 PM
Always Learning

-Zoom, why let Deltec stick you with a high price tag. H&S offers the same skimmer with, IMO, better construction for a lower price.

Old 08/09/2006, 11:07 PM
Got Nog?

By the way I accidently bumped my new AP600 several times hard into my stand and laundry room sink cleaning it. I see no cracks at all. I also dropped my old mce600 hangon onto the laundry room floor when i was trying to clean it. After hitting the tile I feared it would be cracked, but there was no damage at all.

So I would say that when people say that deltecs aren't built and flimsy are flat out wrong. And I been using deltec skimmers for almost a year. Deltecs are built to perform. I really can't picture anyone swining around a expensive deltec skimmer saying "oh wow lets see how sturdy it is."

Scott
Old 08/09/2006, 11:07 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by chucho ortiz
hello,

I want buy one skimmer for my 240g, I'm looking two skimmers Deltec AP851 and H&S A200-2xF2001 external.

The AP851 is a skimmer up to 270g and the H&S resists up to 325g. What is the best?

I'm looking a H&S A200-3xF2001 to 500g, this is a other option. What is your opinion?

Thanks
You won't go wrong with either skimmer. I wouldn't consider the ER RC500 in the same category as Deltec or H&S. But that new A250-2x1260 by H&S sounds like a real winner. I heard it is rated for up to 700g heavy bioload.

to Reef Central
Old 08/09/2006, 11:15 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TurboSnail8898
-Zoom, why let Deltec stick you with a high price tag. H&S offers the same skimmer with, IMO, better construction for a lower price.
I like the slick design of the Deltec skimmer it is out in the open in my living room and it is pretty to look at .
As for the $ i'm now 54 years old both of my kids have master degree and all paid for already...It is my turn to get what ever i like and enjoy . $ $ is no problem
Old 08/09/2006, 11:16 PM
Always Learning

lol. Can't argue with that logic.

Old 08/09/2006, 11:17 PM
Got Nog?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Zoom
[B]
Quote:
Originally posted by DeltecRules
I love my Deltec AP600
QUOTE]

Looks outstanding Scott and the whole skimmer is full of Bubbles
Thanks Steve, its runnign great, I prefer running it with air taps wide open.
Old 08/09/2006, 11:24 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DeltecRules
Thanks Steve, its runnign great, I prefer running it with air taps wide open.
You know i can not do that with my 851 i have the potent larger Eheim pump on that skimmer no joke i have to keep the tabs at 2'o/clock. but the 902 is no problem i have them out completely the small orange valves don't fare to well with the ozone any way. Your skimmer looks like is kicking some...... you know
Old 08/09/2006, 11:49 PM
THE 1 loss B(C)S winner!

I think its a toss up as far as skimming quality. There are things I prefer on H&S, like the wedgepipe and the clear weld. I don't like the black ABS - if there was one place on the skimmer that should be see-thru, that is it. You have to physically take the collection cup off the Deltec and look down to see how high the water level is. I'm always tinkering with water level. But once you get either dialed in - they'll skim the same so not really a factor I guess. Some people prefer the Ball Valve on the Deltec.

I have also read over on zeovit.com and other places that H&S does NOT use extruded, it is cell. Here is one I remember but I can't say whether its true or not. Or really if it matters.

http://www.zeovit.com/forums/showthr...%3Bs+cell+cast

The 851 is a bad@ss skimmer though. I'm sure you will be MORE than happy with either one. I much prefer the Eheims, really quiet and long lasting. Check over on the Deltec and H&S forums, they both have great customer service and TONS of happy customers.

Closed minds should come with closed mouths.
Old 08/10/2006, 12:00 AM
High Plains Drifter

You can't really go wrong with either brand. They both work great. If you are willing to spend a little extra on the Deltec, there really is not going to be much of a difference between the two.

Jim