Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/27/2007, 08:51 PM
"Lurker"

Question Euphyllia sp.: color up better when fed?

Has anyone had an experience w/ Euphyllia sp coloring up better when fed? My tank had been fishless since the begining so there was no outside food source entering the tank. I've had a frogspawn and hammer in the tank for a little while. The colors were a little more pronounced when I first got them (the guy I got them from fed them sometimes w/ frozen brine). As time went on they faded a little. I thought this was due to them extending more once fully acclimated to my tank. But I've recently bought a couple of fish to help feed some SPS frags I'm expecting. Since I know the frogspawn and hammer will eat different foods I try and feed the fish over them w/ all pumps turned off. This has been going on for a few weeks now and I can tell a dramatic improvement in the colors of my two Euphyllias.

So, has anyone else had a similar experience? Or, is this something that everyone else knew but me?
Old 12/27/2007, 10:04 PM
Registered Member

i'm very interested in knowing this as well. my torch and frogspawn aren't nearly as colorful as they were when i bought them.
Old 12/27/2007, 11:22 PM
Registered Member

I feed mine about twice a week if they are lucky and can't say I've really seen a ton of difference, mainly cause I've never not fed them. If you think about it though, it makes sense that they would be healthier with food. They eat in the wild.