Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Capital District Marine Aquarist Society
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/12/2006, 02:45 PM
Let's see those ta-ta's!

Check out my water changing system

To make my water changing go a little smoother and quicker I made a system tha was very simple to construct. In my basement I set up a 44gal Rubbermaid garbage can and ran 1/2" copper to it with a valve for the fresh water supply. In the can I have a heater and a powerhead running at all times. I got a Rigid 3/4hp pump (oil-free) from Home Depot and I plugged it into a wireless remote gadget that I bought at Walmarts during Christmas time ($9.50). It has 5/8" clear tubing running from the pump up through the floor to the tank.
For the drain part I got a simple 32gal garbage can and a basic sump pump with the float switch. The drain line from the tank is 5/8" clear tubing which goes from the tank through the floor and to the can. When it fills up the float switch kicks the pump on and it pumps it up a garden hose into a existing drain line.
When it's time to do a water change all I have to do is unravel the tubing from inside the cabinet and put them in the tank. To start the siphon in the drain line I use a turkey baster and shoot one squirt of water in the line, starts the siphon immediately. After I suck out enought water form the tank I pull the line out and put the supply line in the tank and press the "on" button on the wireless remote. I did a good 15-20 gallon change in about 4-5 minutes last weekend.
Here are some pics. Not that easy to read but take a look.

Old 01/12/2006, 03:07 PM
Registered Member

holy CAD Batman
Old 01/12/2006, 05:58 PM
Premium Member

I've got mad CAD skills!!!!!

Show off......
Old 01/12/2006, 06:09 PM
Benevolent Dictator

just looks like blue and red color pencil to me :P
Old 01/12/2006, 07:58 PM
Let's see those ta-ta's!

Thanks guys but any comments on the other thing?!
Old 01/12/2006, 08:15 PM
CDMAS Member

looks good.and not really that complicated.....what do you do with the old water that goes to the cellar? kinda like the old mouse trap that uses a boot,marble,shotgun,alarm clock and a broom....just kidding...lol
Old 01/12/2006, 10:13 PM
Let's see those ta-ta's!

The old water goes down into the can and the sump pump kicks on with the float switch to shoot it to the drain pipe. It works great and I'm kicking myself for not thinking of it before.
Old 01/13/2006, 10:17 AM
Premium Member

I don't know if I'd trust copper pipe without the water running through RO/DI before it goes into the tank.

Nice setup though. My sump is in my basement and I installed pvc behind the wall that allows me to pump water out of my sump and into the house sump. I have another pvc line behind the wall that allows me to pump water from a 90g garbage can into the sump from about 20 or 30 feet away. I can do water changes as fast as the pumps allow and they're as easy as can be, but yet I still don't do them as often as I should.
Old 01/13/2006, 11:04 AM
Let's see those ta-ta's!

RO/DI is next on my list. I left room to install one in the line.
Old 01/13/2006, 02:03 PM
Registered Member

I've been to Lou's and seen the system, its a nice set up. I want one.