Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/31/2007, 12:29 AM
Registered Member

Melanurus Wrasse

Howdy Reefers,

Anyone has expereinced with Melanurus Wrasse in your tank,

any problem with reef if add wrasse in the reef?

along with wrasse? I have sixline and checkerboard wrasse.

I would like to have melanurus wrasse in my reef tank.

I think this wrasse is very beautiful fish and I already love with wrasses species.
Old 12/31/2007, 05:53 PM
Registered Member

I kept a Halichoeres melanurus for about 5 years. It was a supermale. No significant problems in my reef. When it got really large it would occasionally bother snails but it never killed any as far as I know. It never bothered my cleaner shrimp either. They are completely safe with corals. I would use the specimen cup introduction technique as your established wrasses may give it some grief. IME, Halichoeres spp. wrasses generally get along well although I think checkerboards and melanurus are on the more aggressive end of the genus. I agree that they are vey beautiful. Nicely colored supermales are not that common around here. An established melanurus can be a little tough on new additions to the tank, especially other wrasses but eventually they all got along. They also eat like pigs.
Old 12/31/2007, 06:07 PM
Registered Member

Very cool wrasse great for keeping pests in check, mine has helped with nudies and I have heard they are good at getting rid of flat worms as well.
Old 12/31/2007, 07:37 PM
Registered Member

you might see the sixline very aggressively attack it when you put it in.