Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/19/2007, 06:57 PM
Registered Member

SPS receed in shade

I had some Acro start turn white usually around base or other hard shaded areas. But this has slowed down to a point. Just for the discussion I am assuming no pests for now. The die off areas were in hard shadow and I failed to address them.

I was wondering if there is a chance it will grow back the tissue after we give those area some more light and good water condition. I had a low calcium problem for a while and things were growing real slow. Or is it going to take down the whole colony eventually.

I noticed part of the SPS can be shaded and still does well but the shaded area must not be consecutively large.
Is it because there is enough tissue nearby the shaded area would the zooxanthellae still be able to "bridge" the gap?

I always wondered how those matured tanks with huge acros (and montis) and some clearly have part of it in the shade and was wondering why won't those areas die off. Can someone please explain.
Old 12/19/2007, 07:11 PM
rainbow sherbet stylo...

if my alk gets low that starts to happen, correcting it stops the recession. imo the acro is letting go of part of it that isn't really benefiting the group, not pulling it's weight. it could certainly be brought upon by other stress experienced by the coral.
Old 12/19/2007, 07:20 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by twon8
it could certainly be brought upon by other stress experienced by the coral.
Oh, like take it out to 65F ambient room temperature and covering it with superglue but not putting it back in the tank for 10 minutes (glue produces heat) certainly exacerbate the problem :P