Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/27/2007, 02:03 AM
Premium Member

Thumbs up My 264 gallon A.G.E. rebuild

As some of you may know, my 225 split a seam some 4 months ago.

Well, thanks to Invincible and Naka (thanks guys, we ever get together, first round is on me), I got hooked up with A.G.E. and set out about designing and ordering a replacement.

Well it's Funny how the lines of communication get screwed up sometimes. My wife's cell was given to the carrier as the primary contact number for the driver (he didn't even have it) and mine as a back up as I can't carry my cell at work. I got home from work to 4 messages on my cell from a panicked truck driver. "If this crate has to go back to the depot, there is a $200 re-delivery charge for Monday delivery". I got ahold of him before he left town, "I got a couple more deliveries and I'll be there in an hour. How are you going to get this 625 lb crate out of my truck?" he asks. On the lift gate (I had A.G.E. specifically order) I replied. "No lift gate here" he says. Hmmm. 20 minutes and several phone calls later, I have 4 muscle head buddies on their way. 2 of them had to sneak out of work, but I'm not saying anything.

Anyway, the tank was crated perfectly and arrived without so much as a dent in the wood. Only one of the 4 shock stickers were activated. Not bad for traveling 2000+ miles in 3 days.

Without further adieu-

625# barely out of the back of the semi. No pics of the process, it was all hands on deck.

Starphire left end, float glass rear panel

One of 2 return holes that were "keyholed" to allow any powerhead wires to exit the tank
Old 10/27/2007, 02:04 AM
Premium Member

For you boys out in Texas, that thing around the top is called a brace!? Overall shots of the 3/4" acrylic, one piece, CNC machined eurobracing.

From this view, it looks too much like a coffin for my taste. But then again, one less thing to pay for later on in life. Dual duty so to speak. My wife ever finds out what it cost I will be buried in it sooner, rather than later.

I've got a forklift coming tomorrow to get it off of the table it's currently on and onto more stable ground. At that point I'll uncrate it further and take some more pictures.

After 4 months, Finally. I'm a bit stoked, can ya tell?

CAReefer
Old 10/27/2007, 05:35 AM

Hey Marshall!

I heard about your tank leaving a few days ago to your place. Glad to see you got it in. I cant wait to see what you have planned for this tank. It looks great so far. Now comes the fun part!
Old 10/27/2007, 08:39 AM
Premium Member

that tank looks very well made, how are you going to make the switch?
Old 10/27/2007, 03:42 PM
Premium Member

Nice looking tank. Do you have a web link to A.G.E. ?
Old 10/27/2007, 04:43 PM
Premium Member

Wow great tank!! Did you order directly from them and what is the Tunze divider? Thxs looking for a new tank also..
Old 10/27/2007, 06:40 PM
Registered Member

oof. that tank is gorgeus
Old 10/27/2007, 06:46 PM
Premium Member

Thanks everyone, I've been really anticipating it's arrival. And now the fun begins.

Invice You probably knew it was getting shipped before I did. But either way it's all good.

Quote:
that tank looks very well made, how are you going to make the switch?
Elliot That decision was made for me when the seam split. Everything is in a temporary 200 gallon bin and my frag tank at the moment. All in the garage, plumbed into my sumps in the house.

dbg7798

http://www.acrylicandglassexhibits.com/

90reefernyc The Tunze divider was a fleeting thought that didn't work out when it came time to actually build the tank. It was intended to be a partition to hide the Tunze's in the rear corner of the tank. It was just too flimsy without massive supports that made it too visible, defeating the purpose. Contact Tom via E-mail in the above link regarding ordering a tank. SOP is to order through a LFS or dealer.

CAReefer
Old 10/27/2007, 07:26 PM

Quote:
And you still wen t with glass? And in Kalifornia? You have nads. That pic make me want to hurl.

The new tank is really sweet. I wish I had gotten glass myself.
Old 10/27/2007, 10:43 PM
Premium Member

Very nice tank Marshal.... You make me wanna drool....
Old 10/28/2007, 12:11 AM
Flips"R"us...U?

Marshal,

Congrats on your new tank! Very nice indeed! I guess you are going CL as well...not seeing PH's would be awesome. Is this tank going to house pure sps or mix?
GL!
[O] f
[S] weetness
Old 10/28/2007, 02:05 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
And you still wen t with glass? And in Kalifornia? You have nads
What's a little rocking and rollin every now and then? I've had tanks for years with no issues. My 75 bounced about 8" away from the wall and only splashed 5 gallons of water out the last decent quake we had. My stand for this one is lag bolted to the wall every 12". It ain't goin nowhere. Nads? nah, wifes got 'em on an oak plaque on the wall. Been there going on 20 years.

Quote:
Very nice tank Marshal.... You make me wanna drool....
Thanks Steve, hopefully it all works out as planned. If it does it will be a stunner.

Quote:
I guess you are going CL as well...not seeing PH's would be awesome. Is this tank going to house pure sps or mix?
I debated the CL for a long time. Read lot's of horror stories against, changed my mind several times, but in the end I decided to put one in. I REALLY don't want to see power heads. I had 3 Tunze's visible in my 225 and that is the first thing I saw every time I looked into the tank. I'm confident that with proper planning and quality pieces, (Hayward Schedule 80 bulkheads everywhere and Spears TUBV) I will be fine, at least to the ball valves, where I can bail on it if need be. This will be a 95% SPS setup. I'm way over the whole softie thing. No zoas, rics, xenia, shrooms etc. Might try a Micro or Acan, and maybe a duncan, but that's about it. I'm going to stick to hard to come by acros and keep the numbers down. I've got a few things in mind as far as coral placement and overall look for the tank. I'm not good at building the suspense like Invincible, but I'm not going to spill all the beans just yet. Moreso because if it doesn't work out, I don't want to look like a chump.

Better to remain silent and thought a fool...

CAReefer
Old 10/28/2007, 07:16 AM
Redux Australian ZEOhead

Quote:
Originally posted by CAreefer
For you boys out in Texas, that thing around the top is called a brace

Quote:
From this view, it looks too much like a coffin for my taste. But then again, one less thing to pay for later on in life. Dual duty so to speak. My wife ever finds out what it cost I will be buried in it sooner, rather than later.

These AGE tanks are just beautiful! I'll need to get into the club eventually. ... However I prefer the 'Texas style'.

Once again, looking forward to the rebuild Marshal Goodluck mate.

Photos of my "Blau Arborescent Dschungel Riff" via the red house.
Old 10/28/2007, 10:09 AM
Premium Member

Marshal, congratulations on your new tank! I can't wait to see your new aquascaping.
Old 10/28/2007, 10:23 AM

Last big quake I was in, the floor in my house in BH rolled like a tsunami. No way a tank would have survived that!
Old 10/28/2007, 10:26 AM
Premium Member

Marshal, I will be stunning. It takes you almost a year for planning, i know it will be very nice tank.

I am working on my future tank for my future house in Colorado. Im looking at 84x48x24 Acrylic 1" all around. Im in the same boat with you on the CL... I have 3x6200, and two waveboxes... Please let me know how the CL work out for you. I have heard a few story about the ocean motion got stuck
Old 10/28/2007, 12:33 PM
Registered Member

Tank looks beatiful Marshal.........So, has the forklift showed up yet ?

Chad
Old 10/28/2007, 01:36 PM
Registered Member

beautiful tank!
Old 10/28/2007, 07:13 PM
Premium Member

very nice. hope you never have to bust out the tie downs again!!!
Old 10/28/2007, 11:26 PM
Registered Member

FYI- general public misconception.... Coffins are tapered like in the old dracula movies, caskets are rectangular

Quote:

CAReefer
Old 10/28/2007, 11:34 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jnarowe
And you still wen t with glass? And in Kalifornia? You have nads. That pic make me want to hurl.

The new tank is really sweet. I wish I had gotten glass myself.

WOW- I've never seen Eurobracing like that!!
Where's the duct-tape?
Old 10/29/2007, 02:00 AM
Premium Member

Did a bit more uncrating after we got it onto more solid ground.

3/4" acrylic overflow drilled for 2- 1 1/2" and 1- 1" bulkheads

Overflow teeth set in the end pane of glass.

This view shows the upper, right front corner. Starphire front, blacked out float glass end, 3/4" acrylic eurobrace, 3/4" black acrylic overflow. I love the mix of materials A.G.E. has been able to incorporate into building their tanks. Soooo, much design flexibility.

Left end

The next 2 shots shows the "end grain" from the 72"x25" Starphire front, and 72"x25" float glass rear panes. Huge difference in clarity.

And my recently reworked water processing station, complete with pressure activated delivery pump and dual float top off for the reservoir. Just need to get a bigger pressure tank so the delivery pump cycles less frequently. Not really a huge issue, it only draws 4 watts.

One of the local maintenance service techs called me the other day and told me about some Alk and Calcium post filters for RO he's been trying. They're designed for drinking water systems to buffer the product water and restore the ph above the neutral point. He claims his animals are "really stoked" after a water change it is doing "wonders" for his personal tank. I don't know how much stock to put in this as his water change method is to take 30 gallons from his 300 gallon system, let his top off reservoir refill in a few minutes and then add 11 cups of salt, then test s.g. I haven't been able to find much information about these via Google, but they certainly have my interest piqued.

More to follow

Marshal
Old 10/29/2007, 02:16 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by naka
Marshal, congratulations on your new tank! I can't wait to see your new aquascaping.
Thanks James, me either!

Quote:
Originally posted by jnarowe
Last big quake I was in, the floor in my house in BH rolled like a tsunami. No way a tank would have survived that!
We got a bit of that standing on the raft thing for about 60 seconds after the San Simeon quake took out most of the older masonry buildings in our town. We rattled pretty good too. I fully expected to lose mine as well but didn't. 3 of my buddies did.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jar*Head
I am working on my future tank for my future house in Colorado. Im looking at 84x48x24 Acrylic 1" all around. Im in the same boat with you on the CL... I have 3x6200, and two waveboxes... Please let me know how the CL work out for you. I have heard a few story about the ocean motion got stuck
That will be nice sized tank and an interesting build Steve, be sure and start a thread. Wish I had the room for that big, I would have in a heartbeat.

Quote:
Originally posted by clownnrnd
So, has the forklift showed up yet
Yup, just got to figure out how to get the forklift through the front door now and I'll be styling. Trying to convince the wife that we need a double french door off the dining room Not having much luck.

Quote:
Originally posted by i2ik
beautiful tank!
Thanks, I think so too.

Quote:
Originally posted by GMFett
very nice. hope you never have to bust out the tie downs again!!!
Amen Brother, you and me both.

Quote:
Originally posted by [__--MUD--__]
FYI- general public misconception.... Coffins are tapered like in the old dracula movies, caskets are rectangular
Casket, coffin, no matter, I'll still be buried in the darn thing.

Quote:
Originally posted by ConcreteReefer
WOW- I've never seen Eurobracing like that!!
Where's the duct-tape?
That's holding the glass to the pvc bottom.

CAReefer
Old 10/29/2007, 05:52 AM

marshall, are you getting any other new equipment? When do you plan on having this tank up and running?
Old 10/29/2007, 06:22 AM
Premium Member

E, I've already picked up a new circulation pump (Sequence 3200) to feed the tank, frag tank and chiller, and a Dart for the closed loop. The 3200 will replace 2 mag drive type externals, moves more water (~2600 gph after HL) at 170 watts vs the 2 (1 @1190@0 HL and 1260 @4') at 210 watts combined. Eventually I may replace the 2 tunzes I'll start with for Vortech's but I have to recover first. And then I'll just get one and see if I can work it into my flow scheme. I'm going to add a FanTech exhaust fan into the upper cabinet and vent it outside rather than into the garage as it my 4" box fans do now. Too much rust happening on my GTO and tools in there. Got an idea for some moonlights, but may be a bust so I'll keep that little jewel to myself for now, building a rack for the LAIII's/VHO's and putting it on a pulley system and losing the chains. Other than that, I got the skimmer, CaRx, ballasts and everything else covered.

Oh yeah,
Going for a complete replumb too!

Marshal