Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Arizona - Fish & Reef Aquarium Group (FRAG)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/02/2008, 07:57 PM
Registered Member

Looking for HQI bulbs...

I got a new unit and wanted to know if anyone had some used (new ok too) 150watt HQI bulbs so that I can try the different brands and see which one I like better.

I am also looking for 70watt HQI bulbs as well.

Let me know what you have and how much..

Michael
Old 01/02/2008, 08:56 PM
Registered Member

Try a 14K phoenix... That is my #1 choice.
Old 01/02/2008, 09:48 PM
Premium Member

I just got a 14k phoenix and i have a 150 watt current system, and it is wayyyyyyyy to blue for me, i like more white than blue because the actinics give enough blue for me. the current 14k is more of a white. the 10k current is a little too yellow for me. i have a 10k ushio right now and its pretty white, a little more yellow than the 14k current, but not as yellow as the 10k current. i'm still trying to find the right color that i want, i have been experimenting with different blubs, and still havent found the right color for me. I'm looking for a bright white crisp color. Here is a pic so that you can see the different colors.

The 14k phoenix is on the left and the 10k Ushio is on the right.

heres the link in case the image doesnt work.
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u...isbo/Light.jpg
<º)))>< <º)))>< <º)))>< <º)))><
Old 01/02/2008, 10:35 PM
Registered Member

WOW mine looks nothing like that pic on the left! Mine is a shimmering beautiful white, purple, blue look. I have no other actinic and it is stunning. I have only witnessed one other PHX 14K in another sunpod and it was identicle to mine. Pure love
Old 01/02/2008, 11:01 PM
Registered Member

Here is a pic of my nano with the phx. Looking at the tank and then at my screen, it actually has a little more white to it that the pic shows. Stunning in person and nothing like your pic on the left. Mabey you bought a knock off? Or somthing is wrong with it..?

Last edited by Garage1217; 01/02/2008 at 11:07 PM.
Old 01/02/2008, 11:07 PM
Registered Member

LMAO lemme tell ya.... have fun with this venture...

I tseted 3 150w bulbs

Ushio
JBJ
Jesse brought the 3rd over, Reflux I think.

Here is the deal...
IMO the Ushio is WAY to much if you have a small tank. The par rating on it is nice and high but it burned everything and heated up the water ALOT. The color was nice but a ittle yellow for 14k IMO. This was a NEW bulb so the color may shift as it burned in and become more blue but just not the bulb for me.

The Reflux has nice color but looked dim on my tank and I like super bright lighting on my tank. It did have very nice color.

JBJ is a nice bright bulb but throws a pretty purple spectrum. I am still running it on my nano and its "ok". I like the color it has given to all my corals, and after the burn of 07 they have all ome back with even more color than before, so t cant be that bad.

I will try a Phoenix next. Everyone I talked to seems to say that this bulb is the best in terms of color and brightness.

IMO I would go with a Ushio 14k if your tank is big enough and deep enough, and definatly LIGHT ACCLIMATE~! I learned the hard way lol, I figured naaaa just use egg crateno need for he window screen lol. Not one of my smartest moves.

The thing that I get frustrated with the most is the burn in. You will have to run bulb, what, like 100 hours before you will see the real color of the bulb. It will also depend on the ballast you use as to what colors come out more. Matter of fact if I can get my Ushio from the ex, I will sell it to you lol. Its got 2 hours on it.
Old 01/02/2008, 11:14 PM
Registered Member

Just some info on my burn in, when I first bought my PHX, it had just a tad more purple to it. It since has mellowed out to what you see with a tad more white. Perfect IMO..

Cannot wait to see my new outer orbit with dual 250w 10K's + 4 54w actinics! I checked one out at pets inc and was amazed at the color of the tank. Going to rock on my 90G
Old 01/02/2008, 11:23 PM
Registered Member

LOL and I thought this was gong to be any easy mission...

My tank is going to be very shallow. its 36wX18dX17T a 40gal breeder. The pendant I have is about 20" wide and houses 2 150W HQI bulbs...

Do you think I can get away with putting one 10K and one 20K bulb without it being to much for the shallow tank?

I like the pick of the 10K ushio in Bowmans tank but then I like the 14k look of Garages' tank... But then again should I try the JBJ LMAO this is turning out to be harder than I expected...

Michael
Old 01/03/2008, 12:23 AM
Registered Member

I would also recommend a Phoenix. I use one and I get good color and growth. I use an Icecap ballast. Different ballasts will give you different color tones with the Phoenix though. Mine is still white enough for my liking. Pics do bulb color and par no justice. You have to see them in person.
Old 01/03/2008, 12:55 AM
Registered Member

i think phoenix are overated and have to much color in the green spectrum that drown out reds, i use a hamilton 14k i like it, not the best, but deff pretty good especially for the $$
Old 01/03/2008, 01:45 AM
Registered Member

Green..? Wow that is a spectrum I can definitly not see in mine
Old 01/03/2008, 01:50 AM
Premium Member

In the Phx 250W version the reds actually looked fine in mine. Right under the pendant. Using eballasts. Not sure if the 150W is any different. The Phx is a high par 20K. It is not a true 14K look. Depends on your personal preference.
Old 01/03/2008, 01:59 AM
THE 1 loss B(C)S winner!

Post some pix when you get them! I'm thinking of one of those ~20G nanos with a 150W. I saw them at Aq Arts.

There is a super sweet 150W by Elos but its not cheap. I ran it in a 20" tall tank and my SPS colors were awesome. They do have the UV built in so technically you don't need glass but I wouldn't take the chance. I thought Icecap was coming out with a similar bulb. Another option is the Giesemann Coral (14.5K). I had that one in 250W and it was sweet also. Like the Elos, pure white with some blue - but pretty bright. I think Giesemann probably has it in 150W.

Closed minds should come with closed mouths.
Old 01/03/2008, 01:13 PM
Registered Member

in 150 the phoenix bulb is no where near as blue as the 250's. I'm running them right now and after 4-5 month of use they are bright white, with maybe a tiny bit of blue in them. The 150's actually get whiter the longer you run them, many people have posted that in the lighting section here on RC. I plan on using the radium 150's as my next set of bulbs because they have just as much par as the phoenix bulbs - actually more on alot of ballasts and I can almost guarantee the color will be better with them. The phoenix bulbs are ok in 150 but they do wash some colors out. this can be offset with supplements.

BTW, bulb color can vary quite a bit depending on the ballast you use. I use 150 icecap ballasts.
Old 01/03/2008, 03:58 PM
Registered Member

OK. the 250 Phoenix's are too blue IMHO and kill reds. I was told that this was caused by me using Hamilton Mag ballasts versus eballsts.

For the mags, Hamiton 14K's are supposed to be a little better suited. Less blue without being 10K white.

Im heading for Hamiltons. The actinics will allegedly pick up any blues I lose.

ANd I have to agree with Phil. Phoenix 14K's with E bals are a very nice balance.
Old 01/03/2008, 04:16 PM
Registered Member

i have 250 watt hamiltons and imho it is the PERFECT color, not to blue not too white, atually reminds me of diving in the ocean
Old 01/03/2008, 04:40 PM
Registered Member

Just to chime in, the best look I have seen on a tank personally was a 10K backed with t5ho actinics. That was the most natural yet stunning look I have seen for saltwater which is why I am going to purchase the outer orbit dual 250 for my new big tank.