Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/22/2007, 06:20 AM
Registered Member

Kalkwasser

Merry Christmas to all of you.

Have a question? I have just recently took down my 125g reef tank and put up a 215 g. I have a lot of corals and have decided to use Kalkwasser. The guy that helped me hook up my tank, set up a doser and we are mixing the Kalkwasser in a 5 gal. bucket and drawing from that.

The questions I have are:
1. How much Kalkwasser do you mix in a five gallon bucket? I have heard anywhere from 1tsp to 1 TBL per gallon.

2. He also recommended dosing only at night after the lights go out.

Just need some recommendations on what is working for other people that use Kalkwasser.

1st time posting, but I constantly am looking and reading this site. Its great. Thanks for your help!!
Old 12/22/2007, 07:08 AM
Registered Member

it sound like hes steering you in the right dirrection. As far as how much powder to use, you just want enough to saturate the water . eccess powder will settle to the bottom and can be reused untill gone . By drawing the saturated water off the top of the bucket you are leaving the precipitate behind(avoid allowing the precipitate to enter your tank) Dripping at night is good to keep your ph up at night. But a top off float or a top off system will take some of the work out of it for you. Evaporation will occur 24/7 so that is how I add top off the same way 24/7. Once your alkalinity is stable the night time ph swings wont be as drastic. How are you dosing? very slowly I hope. Some sort of float valve or top off unit will only put back what has evaporated. Some people dont like float valves because they can clog open and allow too much kalk to drip in(just clean it regularly and you wont have that problem).
Old 12/22/2007, 05:47 PM
RC Mod

Saturation for limewater is about 2 tsp per gallon. Any extra will settle to the bottom and can be dissolved when more RO-DI water is added. Each tank is different, so I'd watch the pH carefully during the drip. This article might help:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-01/rhf/index.htm
Old 12/22/2007, 11:15 PM
Obsessed

id add 2 cents but looks complete. aside from the dosing technique be sure that no matter what you do 5 gallons of kalkwasserr can be syphoned into your tank fast. even in your 210 the PH offset could cause some nasty burns id use an aqualifter pump for a set dosing rate instead of a drip syphon technique ...
Old 12/22/2007, 11:17 PM
Ich Rumor/Myth Buster

pH controller would be advised here to keep your pH in line and so you don't over dose.
Old 12/23/2007, 12:43 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for all your help. It is greatly appreciated!!

Cindy
Old 12/23/2007, 06:43 PM
RC Mod

You're welcome!