Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/20/2007, 01:45 AM
Registered Member

aquapod 24 skimmer???

I am putting on a sunpod and removeing the hood, so now I want to add a skimmer. I have read alot of the threads but still cant decide what to get.
I cant find the sapphire skimmers for sale anywhere. Does anyone know where to look??
I have also read about the cpr sr3's
What about the Tunze nano???
I need some advice on which one to get. And which one will fit nicely in the AP24. Thanks
Old 12/20/2007, 01:56 PM
Registered Member

nobody has any input??/
I guess, I am going to order the octopus nano needlewheel. I was thinking of the euro reef nano, but there is no time line yet as to when it wil be available....
anyone have any other ideas?/
Old 12/20/2007, 02:02 PM
Registered Member

I just ordered a octopus hob. its the bh-100 I believe. it ran me $120 shipped and is rated for up to 90 gallons. Ill let you know this eve how it works out. it should be here any minute now.

Im planning on placing the pump in the 1st chamber of my ap24. and ill see where the return ends up. hopefully also in the 1st chamber. I have the old gen of ap24 only 2 chambers in the back.

I also have the sunpod 150 hqi. just replaced the 14k with a 20k and will see when it comes on how I like it. The 14k just wasnt enough blue for me.
Old 12/20/2007, 02:44 PM
Registered Member

The octopus hobs are great, You get the most out of it for its price. Koraltek has one on his 15g and he's getting great skimmate. Your other choice would be deltec mce600 which cost about 500-600 dollars.
Old 12/20/2007, 08:53 PM
Registered Member

Ok here are the pics!!! 10 minutes of skimmate!!! I tried to get some pics of the way it is setup in the rear chambers. the intake side with the pump is in the return chamber. and the outlet is in the live rock side where the surface skimmer is on the filter chambers!!

Old 12/20/2007, 09:44 PM
Registered Member

Thats pretty sweet someone asked before if they could fit a octo back there and I didn't know if one could fit back there. The skimmate there will get darker as time passes Theres already mods floating around in the EQ section by koraltek. And the octopus hobs smokes cprs although it looks like a cpr it doesn't function like one.
Old 12/20/2007, 09:47 PM
Registered Member

yea this thing Is great!! The skimmate is twice as dark now and twice as much!! Its been about 30-45 minutes now.
Old 12/20/2007, 09:52 PM
Registered Member

I owned a cpr and used it for 7years never got good skimmate most of the time it was green tea. Like FareF said "You get the most out of it for its price", can't argue with that. The werid thing is not alot of people want to get the octopus because it looks like a cpr so its probaly going to suck. But the octopus is twice the size of a cpr and works alot better.
Heres the octopus hob mod thread, still in testing with some mods
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1271452
And the octopus hob thread
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...5&pagenumber=1
Koral tested the deltec mce300 and he says that the octopus hob for half the price can match it if not better.