Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/09/2008, 11:51 AM
Registered Member

Question Blenny: Meiacanthus tongaensis Questions

My LFS just got in a handful of blennies. He is not sure what they are, but this is what the most closely resemble (their heads are much greener than the pictures I've seen online).

Can anyone tell me something about them? I can't find any useful information online about husbandry.

How large do they get? What do they eat? Reef safe? Will one get along with a tank full of other inhabitants?

Thanks.

Here is a pic:
Reagan Eileen's Daddy (11/10/07 @ 3:27am; 6lbs 3 oz; 18 inches)

Forum Etiquette:
Always ask yourself "what do I hope to accomplish by posting this" and reread it from a 3rd person view...reread and rewrite your posts...most important, be fair to your fellow reefer
Old 01/09/2008, 01:16 PM
Girl Geek

Not species specific, but general info provided: http://www.wetwebmedia.com/sabertoothblens.htm

Looks like it shouldn't get very big: http://fishbase.sinica.edu.tw/summar...y.php?id=46688

I think you should be able to go on the general genus information. I don't have this fish, but I do have a canary blenny. It eats most anything I put in the tank that fits in its little mouth. Of all my fish, I think this one deals the best with both reserved/timid fish like small gobies and the more agressive fish (blue and yellow tangs) - never causing problems with anyone. The fish is always swimming aroung the tank and curious. I believe all in this genus have funny sleeping habits as well - i.e. sleep right out in the open next to tank glass and such.
Old 01/09/2008, 02:25 PM
Registered Member

no clue what it is other than a cool looking fish!
Old 01/09/2008, 05:19 PM
Registered Member

I bought one under the name 'green canary blenny' Very funny fish, just hovers around before darting somewhere else to hover. Doesn't really go into rocks like other blennies, more of an open water version, at least in my experience.

Very peaceful fish, he gets harassed a little by my midas blenny, but that;s because they look so similar and the midas was there first. None of my other fish have bothered him, and he hasn't been agressive to them. He is the smallest fish in my tank though.

I keep him in a 90g FOWLR with a small humu humu trigger, maroon clown, potter's angel and midas blenny. Eats whatever I put into the tank, as long as its soaked in garlic.
Old 01/09/2008, 05:32 PM
Registered Member

lastdrummist, how long have you had him, and how large was he when you got him and how large now?

With some help, I've found a blenny that more closely resembles the one at my LFS. It looks almost exactly like this.

Forum Etiquette:
Always ask yourself "what do I hope to accomplish by posting this" and reread it from a 3rd person view...reread and rewrite your posts...most important, be fair to your fellow reefer
Old 01/09/2008, 08:55 PM
Registered Member

I've got the same fish and from my research its a Tongan Fang Blenny. It is misidentified as a Bundoon blenny on a lot of sites but the bundoon blenny is dark green or black on its whole body.

They are great fish tho. Its always out in the water column and occasionally perches on my fiji leather. It eats all kinds of frozen food and flakes but can't eat pellets. I have never seen it behave aggressively towards any of my other fish and its def. reef safe. Mine is nearly 4in and i think its full grown.

Here is a pic
Old 01/09/2008, 09:04 PM
Registered Member

This is a great article on fang blennies
http://www.proaquatix.com/Docs/ToothBlennies.pdf
Old 01/10/2008, 12:38 AM
Registered Member

Lundy, that blenny is awesome looking! I went ahead and bought the fish. It looks identical to the second picture that I posted. I sure hope he changes coloring to look like yours, though. I love how yours looks!
I discovered that article while looking, just haven't had a chance to read it yet.

Forum Etiquette: