Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/25/2007, 06:40 PM
Registered Member

Question New Nano

I recently got an AquaPod 12 and I'm trying to decide what I want to put in it. I was thinking about doing a pair of clown fish with an anemone. I've never had an anemone before so I'm not sure if it would work. Is there an anemone that will host clowns and do well in a 12g tank with 2 27w pc bulbs, or should I go in another direction with my new tank?
Old 09/26/2007, 02:48 AM
Premium Member

If you want to try an anemone, go with a bubble tip. The ones that I have had are nearly bulletproof provided adequated lighting. The only thing to be careful with is that you should put the anem in before most of the other corals(assuming tank is cycled and stable), and let it find it's home. It will wander throughout the tank until it finds a suitable location, wreaking havoc along the way. Most zoos, lps, and mushrooms can tolerate the anems passing as long as it is not prolonged, but sps can be decimated. If it stays in the same spot for a couple of days, chances are it won't move again. But, you need to watch it, especially when it splits, as it, or it's clones might migrate again. Challenging, but worth it. I just pulled 11 clones from my 60g after 5 years as they started to spread out and took out a few sps corals. My problem is I want sps and anems. With the softies and lps, either little impact from anem or I have time to move after intial contact. HTH.
Old 09/26/2007, 09:45 AM
Registered Member

that light should be fine for most of the anemone's you can commonly find. just dont go out and spend $100 on some ultra rare, demanding specimen

one other thing you may want to consider is the amount of waste an anemone can generate. anemone's must be fed regularly, and must be fed very meaty, solid food. i have had great experience feeding common's and other small anem's frozen krill. in one of my old systems i had a carpet that was about 10" in diameter, and i fed that guy frozen silversides. he would eat about 3 a week, which in turn, meant he would produce a good deal of waste, and any uneaten food would cloud the water.

this will be a concern for you because 'most' pre-made nano's do not have extrmemly powerful filtration, or room for the aquarist to mod other filters on (i put quotes on 'most' because i am unfamiliar with the aquapods)

but, on the other hand, having just a couple of clowns mean your fish load should be fairly small, and if you get a smaller anemone, like a bubble tip, as suggested, you should have a nice clean setup.

as a precaution for any uneaten food, set up a smal clean-up crew in the tank, if you didnt already plan to. just a couple of little scavanger hermit crabs and snails could make a HUGE difference.

good luck and let us know what you choose to do!
Old 09/26/2007, 10:54 AM
Nano Reefer

An anenome is definitely not a good choice for your tank. The lighting will not be enough, and there will most definitely not be enough space for any other corals, etc if you do decide on an anenome.

Also, you would want to wait at least 6 months to make sure the stability of your tank is good before adding an anenome.