Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/21/2007, 06:23 PM
Registered Member

What type of background paint?

I am going to paint the back of my tank black. What type of paint do I use?

Is there a special way of doing it? Or do I just paint it like a wall? Do I need a special brush?

Thanks,

Mike
Old 08/21/2007, 06:38 PM
Brighter the better

2 words for ya ' krylon fusion' its good for almost every thing for your reef tank needs
Old 08/21/2007, 07:42 PM
Registered Member

since your painting the outside of the tank...it doesnt really matter what paint you use...

i used krylon fusion...but using spraybalm i found it wasnt a perfectly smooth and even coat..no biggie since the majorityof the back wall is covered with coraline and rocks anyway...

i have seen people use tremclad as well...

i have seen better sucess with using sponge rollers though FWIW.
Old 08/21/2007, 08:03 PM
Cancer Sucks

I've found that above all, I like black primer best. Any brand. It's flat black, but it's shiny on the other side of the glass. It dries within minutes for additional coats without waiting, and since it dries so quickly, it's easier to avoid runs. I've used it on aquariums and car/van windows.

"There either is or there isn't life out there. Both possibilites are frightening."
(someone help me out - who said this?)
Old 08/21/2007, 08:44 PM
More than meets the eye

I used a latex on the tank I'm building and was'nt happy with it at all. So, I peeled it all off and will try something else. krylon fusion is out for me. I'll be painting in the house as the tank weighs a ton.
Old 08/21/2007, 10:13 PM
Class Of 07!!!!!!!!!!!

Location: On the Elk River/Chesapeake Bay in Elkton/North East, Maryland
I had latex on my old tank and thought it was fine. you just have to do about 3 coats so that you can no longer see the streeks from the roller. On my new tank I used krylon fusion spray paint and love it.
Old 08/22/2007, 01:28 AM
Registered Member

i painted my 20 gallon with the same paint and love it!
i also painted the overflow box i made for it as well.
i went with blue for the back and filter.
Old 08/22/2007, 01:47 AM
Registered Member

Is it possible to paint the (outside of) back wall of tank while it is stocked and running? Or do you need to be organised enough to have though of it before you set the tank up?

I would like a blue background, but it's not worth getting toxins in the tank if there isn't a safe option.
Old 08/22/2007, 01:56 AM
Registered Member

i painted the back of the tank unasembled and the overflow box before glueing it to the tank.
i would say you can paint the back if you cover the top well...you dont want to take a chance of getting overspray in the tank. this is if you can get to the back and paint it.
Old 08/22/2007, 11:17 AM
Registered Member

black Fusion is the bomb..

Paints on easy.. nice wide fan in the nozzle.. Dries on great. looks like black plastic.

A+++ in my opinion.
Old 08/22/2007, 09:10 PM
More than meets the eye

For those not useing the krylon fusion spray paint, how do you apply the paint? Roller or brush?
Old 08/22/2007, 09:29 PM
Registered Member

foam roller..and this would be the safest way to paint a filled and stocked tank as well..
Old 08/22/2007, 09:43 PM
Registered Member

I bought one can of $0.99 black spray paint from Home Depot, worked great, although I used the whole can for my 75, so you might want to pick up two of them. Just make sure you meticulously cover the top and sides so no stray spray gets inside. I used a large sheet of packing material that came in the tank, and plenty of masking tape.
Old 08/22/2007, 09:57 PM
More than meets the eye

I just got the idea of building a cardboard paint booth around my tank so I can spray indoors. Man i'm goofy.
Old 08/23/2007, 08:15 AM
Registered Member

My thoughts are.. goofy

But, yu gotta think, you're not really going to see the back of your tank.. and looking at the paint through the glass, no matter how u put it on, it's going to look great.

If I had to do it, with the tank already stocked, I'd get a foam roller, mask up the sides, and paint away..

my 2 cents..

-clayton