Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/04/2007, 11:12 AM
clams are your friends.

Unhappy JBJ HQI Exploded last night

I posted a thread in the New to the Hobby forum about this, but just thought I'd double post here as well. This tank has been up and running just over 60 days, completely stock, sitting on JBJ stand. Sitting looking at the tank last night and had a poltergiest moment-- loud boom and water starts spilling out. No warning, no signs, completely out of the blue. I was up until 3 am putting critters in buckets and cleaning up the mess. JBJ has some splainin' to do.

Old 11/04/2007, 11:24 AM
------------

I'm sorry to hear about that. I had my tank explode on me earlier this week. Fortunately, like you, I was there when it happened.

My 15G tank drained fully in about 3 minutes.... Luckily it wasn't any faster - though, was chaotic.

I know mine was my fault due to uneven weight distribution. JBJ does have some explaining to do....

I hope everything survives this!
Old 11/04/2007, 11:59 AM
A.K.A. colinadam

That's my worst nightmare. Hope everything turns out o.k.
Old 11/04/2007, 03:20 PM
Registered Member

This is not anything new from the JBJ tanks. For over a year this has been an issue that i thought has been "fixed". this is the first time in a while that i have heard of anyone having their tank crack like that. Sorry to hear about your tank. looks like you had some nice clams in there. hope the livestock will survive.
Old 11/04/2007, 06:02 PM
clams are your friends.

LFS was kind enough to give me a replacement and is dealing with JBJ on their end. I put all the clams in my 90 gal, nems and clowns are in my old 12 gallon. Rocks and Yashia & pistol are in a bucket with a powerhead and heater. Gonna be along night....
Old 11/04/2007, 06:09 PM
Enjoying Life

I have the JBJ 12g. And I am now SERIOUSLY thinking about upgrading to a AGA 25g.....

Sorry to hear that....
Old 11/04/2007, 06:29 PM
clams are your friends.

my first tank was a JBJ 12 DX and it was great. Funny enough, it's now the temporary home for the nems and clowns. I've always been a big fan of JBJ products, despite the stories I've read of similar incidents. Never thought it would happen to me. haha...

You should get that 25 gal AGA, anyway, reefman. Never hurts to have more tanks. I've also got an AGA 90 and 10.
Old 11/04/2007, 07:25 PM
Premium Member

wow pug now I'm really scared....
I had bought one from them 3 weeks ago and when it came there where deep scratches on the inside of the tank
took them 3 weeks to get me a replacement
On top of that I wanted to test out my stand I build for it so I filled if with water it was leaking from the rear chamber into the display area...
I'm very disappointed with the craftsmanship
Old 11/04/2007, 08:21 PM
Registered Member

Sorry to hear about your tank seapug. Good luck dealing with JBJ.
Old 11/04/2007, 08:52 PM
clams are your friends.

Luckily, I'm not going to have to deal with JBJ. LFS gave me a replacement. One of benefits of shopping at a real retailer/authorized dealer. Support your local retailers and they will support you when you need it most.
Old 11/05/2007, 03:23 AM
Registered Member

i thought this kind of problem was only associated with the older models?

i have a newer one and this scares me...was it on uneven ground?
Old 11/05/2007, 03:26 AM
Registered Member

Sorry to hear about your unpleasantries.

Like I always say, DO NOT buy JBJ products of any kind!

-Samuel Clemens
Old 11/05/2007, 03:40 AM
Premium Member

wow sorry to hear that. Man I can't imagine what i would do if this happened to me! Please keep us updated as to what JBJ will say/do about this.
Old 11/05/2007, 04:01 AM
Premium Member

Wow that does suck. I have the 28G and it is on carpet so I am sure it is not 100% even. Not good at all. Sorry to hear about that Seapug.
Old 11/05/2007, 10:22 AM
clams are your friends.

It was on the JBJ stand on a completely level concrete floor, so there was no reason for it to happen other than a bad bend in the glass. It's a problem JBJ has known about.

Reefturkey, the LFS is a JBJ Authorized Dealer so they were kind enough to give me a replacement. I did register my warranty online with JBJ when I bought it and left a message yesterday about what happened. I'll see if they call me back today, but I really don't care-- I got a new one. If the new one cracks I'll consider myself permanently cursed.
Old 11/05/2007, 09:24 PM
clams are your friends.

new tank is set up and everybody is back in place. Thanks for the support, all.
See some pics of the new, improved aquascape here:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1244430
Old 11/06/2007, 02:27 PM
Registered Member

You mentiond that you had the tank setup for around 60 days. I was talking to some local LFS that are authorized JBJ dealers and preaty much the JBJ 28g which were out before 6 weeks ago were actually the promotional test models. In these models there were two main issues tank cracking like the old 12g one and the pumps totally failing without notice. Supposedly these two flaws were fixed for the actual release of the JBJ 28g. My guess is that you bought one of the promotional copies and did not buy from an authorized dealer of JBJ.
Old 11/06/2007, 02:52 PM
clams are your friends.

That may be the case but the place I bought it from is an authorized JBJ dealer. I know that for sure.