Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Zoanthids
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/06/2006, 12:06 PM
Registered Member

150W or 250W over a 30 gallon zoanthid tank?

Planning on setting up a 30 gallon reef that will hold mainly zoanthids with a few ricordia floridas.
The dimensions will be 19" x 19" x 25" and i was wondering which lighting would be the best 150W or 250W halide?

cheers,

Pete.
Old 08/07/2006, 12:39 PM
Registered Member

150watt for that small of a tank would be ok. Remember, zoa's and rics are low light corals. They might actually want to be hidden underneath rocks with this much light.
Old 08/08/2006, 05:52 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for the advice mate. Anyone else?

Peter.
Old 08/08/2006, 07:47 AM
Registered Member

I disagree that zoos are low light. I have plenty of zoos that look downright crappy under low light. I have a 175 watt SE over my 29 gallon (similar dimensions), I would definitely go with the 250 watt with a 20k bulb.

I agree though that some zoos are low light but a lot of them are high light.
Old 08/08/2006, 09:56 AM
Registered Member

Thanks SMP, anyone else?
Old 08/08/2006, 10:08 AM
Registered Member

i have a 30 gallon x-high and just upgraded my lights from a 130 watt PC to a 150 Watt MH.

I boutgh the light at Hellolights.com. They were great. Very helpful and great pricing. I have used them before and find their advise and products to be of real quality.

Anyway, they told me that 150 watts is more than enought for a 30 gallon (even and x-high which is 24 inched high). The mushrooms will need some distance from this light. They say the Zoos will not need the distance and should be fine. Just run your lights a few hours the first day, longer then next and so on to give your corals a chance to acclimate to the new bright lights.
Old 08/08/2006, 10:13 AM
Registered Member

Cheers, Aseidman.
Old 08/08/2006, 01:19 PM
Registered Member

t5's
Old 08/08/2006, 02:54 PM
Registered Member

iv got my zoas under 250's and they are only about 20" from the light and they all look great
Old 08/08/2006, 03:32 PM
Registered Member

Cheers deep6er.
Old 08/09/2006, 02:00 AM
Registered Member

Have you decided yet?
Old 08/09/2006, 03:25 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by deep6er
Have you decided yet?
Not exactly, i'm still not sure about the possible problem of overheating.
Old 08/09/2006, 09:37 AM
Registered Member

according to Hellolights, you should be ok as long as you have the MH lights a few inches off the surface of the tank and add a good fan (they sell them for about 30 dollars). BUT.. I have heard others say the tank can still get too hot. My plan is to take the gamble. I'll try to remember to let you know how ti goes. I expect my new lights today.

Finally, you need to cnssider how hot it is where you live and in your home. For me in New York, the winters are cold and we let the house go to 67 degrees. So the MH will not be a problem. The summe ris the only issue and if I need to keep my airconditioner at 72-75 degrees all summer, then so be it.

Allen
Old 08/09/2006, 10:00 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Aseidman
according to Hellolights, you should be ok as long as you have the MH lights a few inches off the surface of the tank and add a good fan (they sell them for about 30 dollars). BUT.. I have heard others say the tank can still get too hot. My plan is to take the gamble. I'll try to remember to let you know how ti goes. I expect my new lights today.

Finally, you need to cnssider how hot it is where you live and in your home. For me in New York, the winters are cold and we let the house go to 67 degrees. So the MH will not be a problem. The summe ris the only issue and if I need to keep my airconditioner at 72-75 degrees all summer, then so be it.

Allen
Cheers Allen,
here in the U.K. the winter will not be a problem, but we don't have air conditioning over here and if we have another July like this one i may have problems, please let me know how you get on,

Peter.
Old 08/09/2006, 12:05 PM
Registered Member

I also disagree that zoanthids and Ric. Floridas are low light corals. They can live in low light but most do better in higher light. I have a 250w 12k halide on my zoa and ric dominated 40g breeder which is 3" shallower than your 30g. Everything high and low in the tank does wonderfully. The key is slowly acclimating your tank to the lighting and placing everything in the tank appropriately.
Old 08/09/2006, 12:15 PM
Registered Member

sure.... send me a PM if for any reason you do not hear back from me in a few days or weeks. BUT.. without airconditioning, you may have a temp problem in your tank. How hot is it on the warmer days of summer ?

I am goign to keep my PC lights and if the MH is too hot in the summer, swiutch to PCs just for the hotter months.
Old 08/09/2006, 12:32 PM
Registered Member

I disagree too I have 110 watts on a 15 gal and my zoa's are all doing great
Old 08/09/2006, 12:53 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Aseidman
sure.... send me a PM if for any reason you do not hear back from me in a few days or weeks. BUT.. without airconditioning, you may have a temp problem in your tank. How hot is it on the warmer days of summer ?

I am goign to keep my PC lights and if the MH is too hot in the summer, swiutch to PCs just for the hotter months.
Hello mate,
outside temp for this July averaged in the early to mid 30's where i live, but this was a bit of a heatwave for us, please let me know how you get on,

Peter.
Old 08/09/2006, 12:54 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for all the replies so far, really appreciated.
Old 08/09/2006, 01:15 PM
Registered Member

Evaporation chilling works great for those who cant afford a real chiller.

BRONCOS!!!!
Old 08/09/2006, 02:06 PM
Beer King

I diasagree also. I got a 150 watt sunpod over a 24 gallon nano with rics & zoas & they both are doing really well. The rics look alot better IMO. Just remember to acclimate the corals to the new lighting so you dont burn them.
Old 08/09/2006, 02:24 PM
Registered Member

so tell me eyebedam.. how far above the surface of the water are your new MH lights ? and how many hours a day did you turn them on for the first few days/weeks ?
Old 08/09/2006, 02:42 PM
Beer King

Maybe 3 inches. I started running them 4 hrs a day for the first week & added an hr or so every week till now im at 8 hrs a day. Ill eventuall be running them around 10 but im just taking it slow. Ive already had 3 rics split into threes since Ive had my halides.
Old 08/10/2006, 01:24 AM
Registered Member

I agree that I have 150w over my tank (24" deep) & all my rics/zoas are donig fine, the halides themselves are about 7" above the water & I have 2 x 6" fans for cooling as required.

Cheers Shelton.
Old 08/10/2006, 02:21 AM
Registered Member

you have to think that were zoas are found in the ocean they are sometimes out of water due to low tides so when the tide is up they must not be to deep? but im sure zoas are found lower down so aclimating them you your tank specs would be a good idea( always)