Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/03/2007, 03:03 AM
Registered Member

new to horses any advice would help!!

ok i love sea horses and wold love to keep them, however im not sure if my tank will allow. I have a 20g long reef tank with 4x54w t5's. I have 2 cleaner shrimp a fire shrimp, and an orange linckia starfish. I also have frogspawn, hammer coral, and some green star polyps. Do you think i cold keep seahorses?
Old 10/03/2007, 06:17 AM
Ich Rumor/Myth Buster

Not really sure but I think you may have issues with the hammer and frog stinging them/eating them. Hopefully someone else more in the know will answer.
Old 10/03/2007, 08:08 AM
Registered Member

hello...

sorry, but your tank isn't going to be a suitable home for seahorses.

at 12" high a 20-long is not sufficient height-wise and as mentioned the euphyllia corals will sting them.
Old 10/03/2007, 12:40 PM
Registered Member

ok i guess i will have to buy a bigger tank! ......story of my life anyway thank for the advice!!
Old 10/03/2007, 12:46 PM
Registered Member

Seahorse's need the vertical swimming space so the 20 long isnt a good idea. I also would worry about the euphyllia stinging the seahorses. You should probably get a 30 gallon tank minimum for a pair of H.Kuda or H.erectus. When buying your seahorses try to make sure that they are captive bred and to make your life easier make sure they are taken frozen foods. The best thing to do is keep seahorse only with other syngnathids. Preferably limiting that to seahorses cause pipefish arent really being bred to well in captivity to my knowledge. Introducing wild specimens to the tank can cause many problems so try to avoid that at any cost.
Old 10/03/2007, 03:00 PM
Ich Rumor/Myth Buster

I think they need a taller tank for mating purposes as well.