Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/29/2007, 04:27 PM
Registered Member

Lawn Mower Blenny changing color

Hello All,
I was wondering if anyone else has ever noticed a lawn mower blenny seem to change color? Mine is was predominantly white with very fine black markings. The white portions of his body would take on a light purplish hue. I noticed this at different times of the day and in different depths and locations in the tank so I do not believe that it was because he was simply under one of my actinic lights.
Please let me know if anyone else has ever noticed this phenomenon or if I'm just nuts and it really was the lights.
Thanks,
Drew
Old 11/29/2007, 04:52 PM
Registered Member

Mine does this to, I think it's a way to camoflauge itself in different surroundings.
Old 11/29/2007, 04:59 PM
Registered Member

What do they eat? I had one for about 4 months and it died about 2 months ago. I want to have another one but I'm afraid it may die too. I don't have any algae on my rocks just coraline. He never ate the shrimp or the other meaty foods I offered the other fish so he probably died of starvation?...any clues on their diet?
Old 11/29/2007, 05:09 PM
Registered Member

I've only seen mine ever eat algae off my glass and rocks. Here's a site with some more info on them though.
http://www.reefcorner.com/SpecimenSh...wer_blenny.htm
Old 11/29/2007, 06:12 PM
Registered Member

I have a black sailfin blenny, similar to the lawnmower in behavior, that changes from jet black during the day to white with black spots at night. I will also see him 'flash' his head to a lighter color at times when he's eating or otherwise stressed (hand in tank.)
Old 11/29/2007, 07:03 PM
Registered Member

Yeah mine does the same. I think its a form of Camo as well. I have basically two types of Coraline in my tank, Green and Purple. He goes very dark when on the green or hiding between rocks, but changes color slightly when on the Purple. He goes completely light when on the sand. Pretty nice.

I've heard that some Lawnmower Blennies are finnicky eaters. A lot won't eat prepared food. I got lucky. Mine loves Flake food and Nori and still goes around the tank to eat Algae.
Old 11/29/2007, 07:39 PM
Registered Member

More than just my blenny changes colors, some become darker shades in darker areas. Bright colored in high light exposure. Defense mechanism I suppose.
Old 11/29/2007, 07:42 PM
Registered Member

Lawn mowers eat several different types of green. If you find they don't like what you have get something else until they start eating it.
Old 11/29/2007, 07:56 PM
Registered Member

They eat the sheets of seaweed I buy from the Markets, unseasoned that is. Nori was it?
Old 11/29/2007, 08:32 PM
Aquarium Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by minispider
What do they eat? I had one for about 4 months and it died about 2 months ago. I want to have another one but I'm afraid it may die too. I don't have any algae on my rocks just coraline. He never ate the shrimp or the other meaty foods I offered the other fish so he probably died of starvation?...any clues on their diet?
Mine eats everything. He eats like a pig.
Old 11/29/2007, 08:32 PM
Aquarium Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Kemo484
Mine does this to, I think it's a way to camoflauge itself in different surroundings.
I have black substrate and when he's laying on it he turn darker.
Old 11/29/2007, 08:48 PM
Registered Member

I have a lawnboy lawnmower, it's green.