Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/22/2007, 09:54 AM
Limestone cowboy

Adding new labouts pair questions

I picked up a pair from fishy, The male is 4.5 to 5 inches, and female is close to 2 to 2.5 inches.
I have a labots, blue sided, sixline and a elegant coris wrasse. I know the sixline will give them trouble, But i think the supermale can handle it because he will dwarf the sixline. I have heard of people using collection containers to add thier new wrasses. I was wondering if there was an explaination of this way of adding them?
The elegant will be fine after a day or 2 of seeing him around, The sixline who knows. I know once the supermale gets to feel at home he will set the sixline in place, and display.
I dont want to stress them out, so how and how long does this need to be done? (Kept flating in the container.)
I need to know if theres a thread explaining it or pointed in the right direction.
It would be very much appreciated!! I dont want the labouts to go thu what the blue sided and labots did. They were harrased to no end for about 2-3 weeks from the sixline.
Old 11/22/2007, 10:20 AM
Limestone cowboy

Well i think i will have to try to atleast tale out the sixline after some searches. Anyone have any idea's taking one out of a 180gal. He wont go near a fish trap, and too small to spear. LOL
Old 11/22/2007, 10:44 AM
Registered Member

I have a six line as well in a 210, he was one of my first fish so he is pretty established.
When I added my Labouti pair I used the collection container method. I put the Laboutis in there w/a piece of live rock. Than I put the container on the bottom of the tank w/another piece of live rock on the top to keep the container from moving around. I kept the laboutis in there for about 3 days, when I fed the tank I would feed them as well thru the top of the container.
The collection container I use is a critter cage about 6"x8" w/holes in the top w/an access lid as well. This has always worked great for me.
I will also put a mirror on the tank for the 6-line to see himself in. He will stay busy flashing himself for awhile.
Old 11/22/2007, 11:26 AM
Limestone cowboy

Thanks for the tip, So i guess the sixline is fine now with the labouts? Mine takes a good 3 weeks to get to lay off of them, He really hated my elegant at first and untill the elegant coris beat the crap out of him is when he stopped. The elegant is pretty mild mannered.
I'll have to pick up a small critter cage this weekend.
I am really bummed i missed that HUGE one sedar had, I hmmed and hawed too long about it, and now am sorry i did. He said it is thick as a fat cigar.
Mi sixline was the first in this tank and is pretty terratorial even when i added some new anthias. but like all the fish i added he let up after he got tired of chasing them with the exception of the elegant.
Old 11/22/2007, 11:43 AM
Registered Member

My six-line does not bother my laboutis at all.
OK if you want to try this, it is how we catch all our fish.
With a critter cage put some water in it than add some food, let the food settle to the bottom. Slowly lower the critter cage down about midway while holding on to the container. The fish will swim in it to get the food. Once the fish you want is in the container slowly rotate the container upright and raise the container out of the water.
We do not use the lid that the container comes with. We also turn the pumps & powerheads off or else the movement will pull the food out of the container. This is the easiest way for us & always has worked w/in the first 10 minutes. Oh yea you might not want to feed so the six-line is nice & hungry.
Old 11/22/2007, 09:56 PM
Limestone cowboy

Thanks very much! I will try that, Actually a lfs guy caught a scotts for me similarly to that. He layed the fish basked down and chased the wrasse into it and pulled it out. I doubt i could do it nearly as well or even close, but youre method is a very good idea.
Thanks again!
Old 11/22/2007, 11:57 PM
Premium Member

Creetin- Congrats on the Labouti pair, they are an awesome fish. I purchased a large male at the beginning of the year from Sedar at Phishy. Unfortunately i lost him after he decided to go carpet surfing. I plan on getting a pair in the near future. Good luck with yours.

"Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion."

Jack Kerouac
Old 11/23/2007, 07:01 AM
Limestone cowboy

Thats too bad!!! Sorry to hear.
I am debating which tops to use. The acrylic tops i have now which i know will be the safest but will block light or the garden netting. I'll stay with the tops unless i see negatives with my corals.