Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/28/2006, 05:00 PM
Registered Member

do you have this problem with your nano?

those of you with a nanocube...or anyone without a skimmer on their nano....do you always have stuff floating around in the water?

granted, my nano has only been set up for 2 weeks with livestock now, but i always have stuff floating in the water column. i have a surface skimmer and a maxi-jet 900 with a hydor flo for the flow. two things causing my problem.....first the mini blue legs (3) that i have are constantly picking at the rocks and i notice every once in a while, a cloud of stuff comes floating up and gets in the water column. second, when i change the ball of filter floss in the first compartment (i change it weekly)...a whole ton of stuff goes flying and cloudes the tank a good bit. it dies down after a few minutes, but i always have little particles of something floating around.

does anyone else have this problem? anything i can do to minimize it?

thanks for the help,
Dan
Old 04/28/2006, 08:13 PM
Premium Member

I've got two skimmerless nanos. The 5.5g has two small HOB filters, one has a little floss but it doesn't really get dirty - there's just not much in the water and only two tiny bluelegs and a couple snails, so nothing's stirring up the sand. There ae loads of teeny feather dusters as well, filtering out whatever they find.
The 21g is a different story. The clowns are constantly digging around in the sand making a mess (they're like little kids, I swear), so I use a 2" x 4" piece of 50 micron floss as the last stage of filtration in the HOB. I replace the floss weekly, it does a fantastic job of clearing the water and as a result it gets pretty funky.
I'd try some 100 or 50 micron floss, and maybe throw some carbon in the filter as well - it seems to really help with cloudy water, at least in some cases.
Old 04/28/2006, 08:27 PM
Registered Member

I had the same problem with my nanocube, I played around with the direction of the water flow (by rotating the powerhead direction) and one day it was crystal clear, it was absolutely amazing, its been 3 weeks now and every morning I wake up and am still amazed at how crystal clear my water looks.
Old 04/28/2006, 09:46 PM
Registered Member

i have carbon in the first chamber and the filter floss gets pretty dirty after a week. i have a feeling that the hydor flo doesnt direct the flow so the stuff floating in the water goes in the surface skimmer. i think it just sort of suspends it spinning in the water. maybe i'll have to try it without the hydor and maybe try the initial fitting.