Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/22/2006, 01:12 PM
Registered Member

How would you seal an unwanted drilled hole?

I purchased a custom tank nearly a year ago. There are two hole drilled outside the overflow on the bottom plane originally meant for a CL. I'm planning on using a tunze stream, so my question to all you reefers is... What type of seal would you trust on your own reef? Would you install a bulkhead and simply plug the outside? (in this case would the pressure of sand lying inside the bulkhead be detrimental?) Or would you silicone a square of acryllic over the holes on one side? (I assume both sides would not be possible, since air would need to leave the hole in order to seal)If so, which side would be more beneficial, the one exposed to air or the one exposed to the pressure of sand and water? Thanks for taking the time to help me. Any comments are appreciated.

Steve
Old 06/22/2006, 01:14 PM
Registered Member

what size holes and tank. persoanlly i would just use some small glass squares and silicone it the holes arent to big.
Old 06/22/2006, 01:53 PM
Dirty Reefer

Is it a glass or acrylic tank??
If acrylic I would not use silicone, better to use some Weld On to actually glue on a piece of acrylic.
If glass I would use the bulkhead and plug/cap it as the hole is on the bottom and it may be hard to find a small piece of tempered glass to silicone on.

The Last Resort, The Eagles
Old 06/22/2006, 01:58 PM
Registered Member

I'm assuming your thinking of an acrylic patch over the hole because it's an acrylic tank. If it's acrylic, you should use weldon to patch the holes. If it's a glass tank, I would use 1/4" glass patches. You mention custom, so I'm guessing this is a bigger-sized tank. That's why I suggest 1/4" glass. You could probably get away with siliconing an acrylic patch on a glass tank, but I wouldn't risk it. Putting in a bulkhead would preserve the CL as a future option if you change your mind, or choose to sell the tank somehwere down the line. If it were mine, I would put the bulkhead in and cap it. I just believe in keeping options open for the future, where you can.
Old 06/22/2006, 01:59 PM
Registered Member

u dont need tempered glass to cover a hole.
Old 06/22/2006, 02:06 PM
Dirty Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by dj synystr
u dont need tempered glass to cover a hole.
No, I guess you don't. Untill you drop a rock on it.

The Last Resort, The Eagles
Old 06/22/2006, 02:24 PM
CORA Member

A bulkhead out to a ball or gate valve. You could cap after the valve for some double protection. Then you wont have to drain the tank to uncap the bulkhead if you decide to use it later.

CORA Member
Old 06/22/2006, 03:00 PM
Flowalicious

I'd just put a bulkhead in each hole. Put a screw in plug in the INSIDE of the tank. (much cheaper than a ball valve). That way if you ever want, you can add a closed loop, and just unscrew the plug, and its good to go.
Old 06/22/2006, 03:01 PM
Flowalicious

Quote:
Originally posted by Hobster
No, I guess you don't. Untill you drop a rock on it.
If you drop a rock on tempered glass it explodes, unlike float glass, which simply cracks.
Old 06/22/2006, 03:51 PM
Registered Member

I have a lab tank I acquired from the university- there was 4 of 1 1/2" drilled holes- I just made 2" aryclic disc and used silicone on them all. Worked so well!
Old 06/22/2006, 04:01 PM
Registered Member

acrylic won't seal to glass - trust me - a friend tried it and it didn't work.
Old 06/22/2006, 05:20 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for participating everyone. To clear up a few points... The tank is glass and its footprint is 3'x2' and 22" high. If I used bulkheads and ballvalves on the outside, I believe it would be difficult to glue in any outlet pipes inside the tank with sand and water in the way. I think capping it will be my best option, but I'm still wondering if sand filling the bulkhead from the inside would affect the seal at all.
Old 06/22/2006, 06:24 PM
Flowalicious

Quote:
Originally posted by anjhof
acrylic won't seal to glass - trust me - a friend tried it and it didn't work.
I disagree. If what you said was true, my sump would be falling apart right now. Its not.
Old 06/22/2006, 06:25 PM
Flowalicious

Quote:
Originally posted by surg_xero
Thanks for participating everyone. To clear up a few points... The tank is glass and its footprint is 3'x2' and 22" high. If I used bulkheads and ballvalves on the outside, I believe it would be difficult to glue in any outlet pipes inside the tank with sand and water in the way. I think capping it will be my best option, but I'm still wondering if sand filling the bulkhead from the inside would affect the seal at all.
Like I said, just get screw/screw bulkheads, and screw in a cleanout adapter (theyre little screw in caps with a rubber gasket) It'll keep the sand out of the bulkhead, and be really small in the tank.
Old 06/22/2006, 11:11 PM
Registered Member

as long as its sealed right the first time sand on the outside of the seal wont matter. i agree with those who say leave it open for future use. you never know what your tank might evolve into and what needs you'll have to address.
you could run a closed loop for less than half the cost of a tunze!
-nick