Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/03/2005, 09:32 AM
Premium Member

Question thinking about a new set up

I have a 26 gallon bow front that I was using for a quarintine tank for my reef. I do not use it anymore and it looks blank ing the room. I am considering making it into a sea horse tank. Any recommendations??

Thanks, Brian
Old 01/03/2005, 09:34 AM
Tang? What Tang!

My gf want horses also, sounds like a perfect tank for them. As to recommendations I am still trying to learn more about them so my input would be worthless
Old 01/03/2005, 10:28 AM
Moved On

Full sized horses need a tank that is 3 x's as tall as they are, to do their courting dance. Is it that tall? My H. kuda are about 5 inches tall (do you count the tail height?), Mr Big is probably a little more than that. My H reidi are about that, too. My erectus are still juvenile, I'll bet they will be close to that also.

So, if you're sand bed isn't too deep, they might work!

(Be sure to get CB! WC will eat better than you do!)

ScubaOz, all girls want seahorses! They are definately a chick magnet!
Old 01/03/2005, 10:40 AM
Premium Member

The height should be no problem. What are the filter, lighting, tepm.... requirements. How much is the average sea horse? What is their life exp.? Thanks, Brian
Old 01/03/2005, 10:46 AM
Moved On

There are so many ways to run a tank!

I have a DSB, refugium, NO lighting, temp same as my reef (My tanks are all hooked together).

I believe the ones I have live 3-5 years in captivity.

They are pricey! Check out Ocean Rider, Marine Depot Live to get some idea about costs. I have seen ORA Shs at our LFS. They are running around $70 for juveniles...
Old 01/03/2005, 11:35 AM
Premium Member

If you were to put 6 or so in a tank what would they be?
Old 01/03/2005, 11:54 AM
Moved On

6 in 26 gallons? Maybe 20 actual water gallons? That would be 30 inches of fish to 20 gallons?

Somebody else have math skills? 30:20

I'm not sure, but that sounds like too much to me....

Maybe a single pair?

If it was me, I'd do dwarfs! But, maybe you should let me try if first! I'm setting up a 20 high for dwarfs. But, I think it might be more work than you might want. I'm an old person on the verge of retirement (I wish) with too much time on my hands and my hubby is getting tired of my remodeling projects!
Old 01/03/2005, 12:26 PM
Premium Member

Thank you . I am in no rush and will be doing something with this tank soon. I am thinking of a mini reef as well. Thanks, Brian
Old 01/04/2005, 12:11 AM
TOF

Quote:
Originally posted by BRIAN2156
If you were to put 6 or so in a tank what would they be?
A herd.
Tagamet
Old 01/04/2005, 12:17 AM
TOF

Quote:
Originally posted by Aerosmith
6 in 26 gallons? Maybe 20 actual water gallons? That would be 30 inches of fish to 20 gallons?
Somebody else have math skills? 30:20
I'm not sure, but that sounds like too much to me....
Maybe a single pair?
That's be 1.5 inches of horse per gallon. I thought the rule of thumb was one inch per 5 gallons. I'm a newbie re seahorses, so I don't know how demanding their bioload is. I AM thinking that the amount of food I'm feeding to get mine to eat is a lot more than I put in my reef tanks though (so more food would need to be handled by the biofiltering capacity of the system).
Tagamet
Old 01/04/2005, 08:42 AM
Premium Member

I have no idea!! That is why I asked the question. I want recommendations on quantity and type, set up, lighting, filtering, maintainence, breeding potential................... Thanks, Brian
Old 01/04/2005, 10:10 PM
Moved On

They all breed! But, raising the fry is a different story! H.erectus are the "easiest" yet still hard...

I think one pair of H.erectus would be perfect, but 2 pairs might fit comfortably, because the ones being offered right now are so small,juvenile. The ones i got from OR are about half the size they will be.

I am not a big fan of mechanical filtration. I'd set it up with a DSB and a refugium. But, just remember that you need the same requirements filtration wise as other marine fish, and you should be OK.

Lighting is again preference, and according to the corals you plan on keeping ,with your aquatic equines. I have NO lighting with a few softies, 'shrooms,sponges and lots of macro algae.

Same maintenence as your reef, but fewer additives.

IMHO
Old 01/05/2005, 08:37 AM
Premium Member

Thanks for the advise. If I put a 130 watt power compact with 65 att. and 65 white would this be ok and what types of corals would I be able to put in. I did do some reading that they may eat some. Thanks, Brian
Old 01/05/2005, 08:48 AM
TOF

Quote:
Originally posted by BRIAN2156
Thanks for the advise. If I put a 130 watt power compact with 65 att. and 65 white would this be ok and what types of corals would I be able to put in. I did do some reading that they may eat some. Thanks, Brian
There's a good article on seahorse.org about suitable tankmates, both fish and corals that are ok to be with seahorses. They would determine your lighting needs.
HTH
Tagamet
Old 01/05/2005, 10:14 AM
Moved On

I think the tank mates list need to be updated!

Seahorses are very finicky eaters! I've never seen one of mine snick at anything that wasn't actually food! But, they do snick at the mysis that I try to feed to my sunpolyps!

I think with PC you could easily grow softies! Mushrooms, sarcophyton (leathers), star polyps, gorgonians. I have a few types of sps I have in a tank with PC, but my reef friends get much better color with their high flow MH tanks.

There is some concern that LPS can sting the seahorses. (I can't figure out how that can be with the seahorses has an exoskeleton like a knight in shining armor!). I don't have any in my aquaitic equestrian tank, just in case.

Since you already have a reef, this could be 'shroom paradise! They love low flow!
Old 01/08/2005, 12:25 PM
Premium Member

Are the higher lights ok with the sea horses?
Old 01/08/2005, 10:10 PM
Registered Member

compact and VHO are fine