Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/17/2007, 10:08 AM
Registered Member

New Nassarius snails disappeared

I acclimated my 3 new Nassarius snails the same way I acclimated my Astrea snails a number of weeks prior, with small additions of my tank water added at 10 minute intervals to the store water until it was mostly my water.

I dropped them in the tank, and they immediately buried themselves, leaving just their trunks sticking out.

The next morning, no trunks. Now, it has been a couple of weeks and I have seen absolutely no sign of them. Not during feedings of frozen meaty foods, not at night when it is dark. They are gone.

Are they most likely dead, or has anyone ever not seen their Nassarius snails for quite a while only to have them re-emerge? Do they require drip acclimation?
Old 08/17/2007, 10:09 AM
Registered Member

I don't see mine until I feed and then they popped up out of the sand and bounce off of everything until they get to the feeding location. For some reason I think it's the funniest thing. I'm not sure about yours. Hopefully they are still alive.
Old 08/17/2007, 10:14 AM
Registered Member

Yeah, I am worried because they still don't even come out when I feed. I would think they would have to eat by now! I'm sure my water is OK...my one fish, astrea snails, scarlet hermits, feather dusters, xenia, 2 SPS corals, and plate coral are all doing really well. I just can't imagine what would have killed my nassarius snails so fast, unless I really screwed up the acclimation...but ALL three?!
Old 08/17/2007, 10:55 AM
Premium Member

Mine don't always come out. Sometimes I don't see a snail for weeks and I will walk up to it and see two or three. I am not sure what causes this but I wouldn't assume they died. Test for ammonia/Nitrite the snail will put off a nasty amount of it and is a clear indicator of dead snails.
Old 08/17/2007, 11:22 AM
Premium Member

What 1 fish do you have, if it is a wrasse it will eat them.
Old 08/17/2007, 11:28 AM
Registered Member

Thanks, I'll test. Fortunately I haven't seen any signs of bad water. I imagine if all 3 died, I probably would have had some issues.

The fact that you sometimes don't see your snails for lengthy periods is a little bit encouraging!
Old 08/17/2007, 11:29 AM
Registered Member

wmullins, the fish is a flame angel.
Old 08/17/2007, 11:30 AM
Premium Member

My nassarius snails come out every time I feed...or add top-off water...or move a powerhead. I have three big ones (about 2 inch shells) and 8 small ones (less than 1/2 inch shells). I have seen my emerald crabs try to grab them from time to time, but they haven't caught one yet...although I'm sure now that I say that there's an emerald crab feasting on nassarius meat right now.

I drip acclimated for 2-3 hours. Now that I have extra airline tubing and plastic valves, I drip acclimate everything. I just put the bag in the sump and use the mag-float to hold the tube in place, set the drip to a drop or two a second, and then set a timer to check every 30 min.
Old 08/17/2007, 11:39 AM
Registered Member

That's what worries me - the fact they don't come out when I feed the fish.

If I don't see them in a couple weeks, I'll probably buy more and drip acclimate them this time.
Old 08/17/2007, 11:46 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by iwishtofish
That's what worries me - the fact they don't come out when I feed the fish.

If I don't see them in a couple weeks, I'll probably buy more and drip acclimate them this time.
When you feed do you turn off the water flow?

When I shut down my flow for feeding they pop out right away. Maybe they know feeding is coming shortlty or they just dont like the flow but they come out right away, hehe.

How deep is your sandbed?

How big is the tank?

I have 10 in my 75 and when I shut down the flow for feeding time only 2 or 3 pop out. The others are deep in the sandbed.
Old 08/17/2007, 12:15 PM
Registered Member

Nanz, I don't turn off the flow, because I like to watch my flame angel chase down the food! My sand bed is mostly shallow (about 1.5"), but about 2.5" where the powerheads have pushed it into drifts.

It is a 29 gallon tank.
Old 08/17/2007, 01:03 PM
Lenny & Squiggy

Hermit crabs wearing spiffy new duds?
Old 08/17/2007, 01:15 PM
Registered Member

I thought about that at first, but believe it or not, when one only has 5 hermits with distinct shells, one gets to know them pretty well!

Also, there are no vacant shells hanging around anywhere that I can see...
Old 08/17/2007, 02:06 PM
Premium Member

Well...off topic...but you should get some vacant shells to have lying around
Old 08/17/2007, 02:27 PM
Team RC Member

Your sand bed must contain enough to keep them busy eating. I know I have several, but I haven't seen them in 4 weeks.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 08/17/2007, 03:03 PM
Lenny & Squiggy

Quote:
Originally posted by pikachusalad
Well...off topic...but you should get some vacant shells to have lying around
I've got all kinds of empty shells kicking around, ready for one of the hermits to upgrade... didn't stop one of the black-hearted little buggers from slaughtering a Conch for *it's* shell. "Move into *that* low-rent shell? Heck no, not when I can evict this slimy little morsel!"
Old 08/17/2007, 03:56 PM
Registered Member

You are right, pikachusalad, I do need to get some spare mobile homes in my tank...

I hope that's true Sk8r, and that they are alive and fattening up! I had no idea they stay submerged in the sand for that long. My friends' Nassarius snails pop up all the time, not just when he's feeding the fish.
Old 08/17/2007, 08:04 PM
Registered Member

I will credit the power of Reef Central...tonight I fed Cyclopeez with the lights still on, and, after about 18 days missing, out pops a Nassarius Snail!

Thanks to all for sharing your experiences!
Old 08/17/2007, 09:37 PM
Registered Member

I very rarely see mine but i have had them for a couple years. I have moved this tank 3 times and all 3 times i forget about them. i know they are still there by the huge trails they leave in the sand and the slime they leave when they climb up the glass. Glad to hear you found them.

http://www.simplyowned.com