View Single Post
Old 01/10/2008, 08:23 PM
Registered Member

I would not take an authors opinion as being absolute. Croceas have the highest lighting needs of all the giant clams. They are also the least forgiving when it comes to their needs in an aquarium.
Croceas need very clean water and they don't like any sort of sediments or suspended debris as they can suffocate very easily in a tank with these conditions. You would have to have metal halides or an excellent t-5 fixture to keep croceas. Maximas are a little bit less light demanding but are not really any hardier.

To be honest with you I think it is really a stretch to keep any giant clams under VHO exclussively. I have tried and kept them for months but never long term using strictly VHO. You could make a poll on this site and lots of people would tell you the same thing.

Also the built in reflectors are not good enough. YOu need to get a reflector over the bulbs in addition to what they already have.